Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bridge pickup for LP metalcore style

Originally posted by bloughlin16 View Post
    As masta' c said, it's important to consider how those people are dialing in the rigs that they're using. As I use a pickup set (the Alpha/Omega) that is definitely on the brighter, more articulate side, I counter this by using darker-sounding cabinet IRs and amps in my Helix or whatever other amp sim that I use. I think a lot of the videos you might have seen are going for brighter tones than what it seems you are. The Black Winter is definitely not an overly bright pickup (which seems to have been your complaint about the Nailbomb you have currently) and has plenty of upper mid cut with a solid low end. I think it's a much better pickup than the Nazgul and would definitely be more of a step in the right direction for you.
    Well as I said before a major factor is me switching amps to a 5 watt combo more for home playing. The DSL5 is more dark sounding so I need something with that cut through like the JB give me on my Strat.

I just feel the Black Winter is more for outright metal, so like 7 string riffing or solos as opposed to 'metalcore' which is drop tuned tight chugging syncopated riffs with some chord playing too. Maybe its just me but there's just something I don't like about it (probably cos most of the demos I've seen are in E standard or on 7 strings playing death metal haha).
    Last edited by DeadandBuried; 12-02-2019, 03:51 PM.

Comment

This guy has the same guitar as me and the BW's in! That chock chock on the palm mutes is there...

Comment

Just to let everyone know I have decided to go back to a BKP Aftermath to see if it gives me the sound again, if I don't like it I have 14 days to return it and will try the Juggernaut next. Then if all else fails I will move to SD and either try Pegasus or Nazgul!

Comment

Ok so BKP Aftermath in and also the bridge tone pot has been reconnected. There's improvements already as its not so shrill and hairy, on the top end.

I played through 3 different amps - my DSL5c, my 6505+ and my friend's Kemper Profiler.

Through the DSL5c it sounded a lot better, though anything lower than drop c I didn't push the deep button in on the amp as it made it a little muddy. Used the TS9 to tighten up.

The 6505+ is probably where I liked it most, tight and chunky, without any fizzyness or ice-picky high end. Didn't get to turn it up to gig volume however but its what I had before albeit a cab upgrade.

Through the Kemper it sounded so big! Its a pretty hot pickup but with tons of gain you get that nice attack and clarity. On the 5150 and Mesa profiles it sounded chunky.

Welcome back Aftermath I've missed you!

And my friend gave me his LTD ES-50 to do mods on it, so I may well throw in a Juggernaut or one of the SD pickups in it!

Comment

I wanna drop a suggestion for Lace if you haven't considered it. They're very tight, they're like the clean platform of pickups, perfect for stacking gain on top of. They're not for everyone but they are really good at what they do.

They're sterile though, if you want more personality, they're not the right pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by singlecutarmy View Post
              I wanna drop a suggestion for Lace if you haven't considered it. They're very tight, they're like the clean platform of pickups, perfect for stacking gain on top of. They're not for everyone but they are really good at what they do.

They're sterile though, if you want more personality, they're not the right pickup.

I can attest the the no personality part. I have had a couple and played even more. The thing with lace pickups are you got to have an amp and playing style to compliment that pickup. I found out I love the red, silver, blue, set with a lot of gain and that it’s super tight. Clean it sounds sterile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is the Lace one a Drop and Gain? I've seen it before and it does sound good but worried it'll be fizzy for lower tunings?

For the moment I'm happy with my Aftermath but there's obviously the LTD I plan to throw some pickups in. Might not be a bad bet to pick something up 2nd hand and see what its like.

Comment

Looks like you already went with the Aftermath, but I was also going to suggest the Black Winters. I've got them in my baritones that I tune to Drop A# 80% of the time. They are great at articulating what you're playing in those low tunings. They keep the low end nice and chunky, but the clarity when you're doing full chords is awesome. I've heard some good things about the Bare Knuckles over the years, I'll have to try out a set one day.

Comment

Originally posted by BaritoneVitoND View Post
                    Looks like you already went with the Aftermath, but I was also going to suggest the Black Winters. I've got them in my baritones that I tune to Drop A# 80% of the time. They are great at articulating what you're playing in those low tunings. They keep the low end nice and chunky, but the clarity when you're doing full chords is awesome. I've heard some good things about the Bare Knuckles over the years, I'll have to try out a set one day.
                    Yeah, went back to the old trusty and had that "aaahhhh there it is!" moment! I am going to put a set of SD's in that Ltd though so I may try the Black Winters in that, with it being a lower priced guitar its worth a shot but Pegasus/Nazgul remain top of the list.

Comment

Working...
                    X