Bridge pickup for LP metalcore style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bridge pickup for LP metalcore style

I think you can totally get what you want in a passive pickup.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Neil from ADTR said in his rig rundown the BKP Aftermath is a tight pickup and the Juggernaut is a bigger aggressive pickup with the tightness of an EMG. He uses drop c and lower tunings and its mostly chord and riff playing.
      Last edited by DeadandBuried; 11-27-2019, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadandBuried View Post
        Hmm maybe just general perception then
        I have never heard of that before, TBH. I have heard of the 81 being thin, sterile, compressed, but never flabby.

I think I'm pretty set on it being a passive pickup to be honest.
        Then consider the Black Winter or the DiMarzio Dominion!

Comment

Honestly man, you should be able to get that tightness with most of the pickups you tried, I’d try a tubescreamer to tighten up that bass. I’m pretty sure most those bands use some sort of overdrive with a peavey, Mesa, or similar.

I really like the Duncan Custom(SH-5) in mahogany.
          Last edited by SteveAlysis; 11-27-2019, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Some great suggestions in here, but when I read the title, I immediately thought of the Black Winter, like Rex_Rocker suggested. I love metalcore and the BW bridge is awesome for that style

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
              I have never heard of that before, TBH. I have heard of the 81 being thin, sterile, compressed, but never flabby.

Then consider the Black Winter or the DiMarzio Dominion!
              Yeah maybe that then on the EMG 81 comments, as said before though I think I'm settled on getting passives.

Not liking the sound from the Black Winters though, too dark and death metal-ly, need something with a bit more upper mid-spank!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveAlysis View Post
                Honestly man, you should be able to get that tightness with most of the pickups you tried, I’d try a tubescreamer to tighten up that bass. I’m pretty sure most those bands use some sort of overdrive with a peavey, Mesa, or similar.

I really like the Duncan Custom(SH-5) in mahogany.
                I tried a TS9 earlier today and although it does help tighten it up a little its still a little loose for my liking, esp when I drop down to A#. The classic metalcore tone is indeed those high gain amps with either a Maxon OD808 or TS9 but as I'm not playing my 6505+ as much its more the DSL5 combo now. Pegasus may be the answer here as it has that cut I need or the BKP Juggernaut as its chunky sounding but still tight.

Comment

Not liking the sound from the Black Winters though, too dark and death metal-ly, need something with a bit more upper mid-spank!
                  The Black Winter is not dark by any means. It's very upper-mid-focused. I'd say it's even more upper-mid-focused than the JB, which is known for its high mid spike.

Check it out here:

Maybe also consider the Nazgul or Custom if you want more sizzle.
                  Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 11-28-2019, 10:35 AM.

Comment

I just didn't like what I heard from the ones I saw with the LP's. Maybe its the audio quality or the amp they were playing through. Alot of these super polished demos are recorded with either an AxeFx or a direct signal.

Comment

The Black Winter is tight and slightly bright. "Dark and Death metal-y" doesn't describe the BW bridge at all.

A lot of demos for certain pickups tend toward certain styles of music, which gives them limited scope. You're also going up against how each player likes their amp and effects, so it's less about the AxeFx or going direct and more about how things are EQ'd overall. A lot of guys take a brighter pickup, which tends to offer better clarity under gain, and darken it at the amp or in post. You also don't know how these guys have the pickup adjusted...a turn or two one way or another makes a big difference with the BW, but when you find the sweet spot...YUM!

I like screaming '80s rock and metalcore. Easily my 2 favorite styles. I like tight/percussive pickups down low with a biting top end and soaring, full-bodied harmonics. The BW delivers on all counts. I use it for everything that I normally use an EMG 81 for (which is THE metalcore pickup, btw) and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. I also prefer it over the regular Distortion. In an LP, it's bound to be a real heavy-hitter with just the right amount of thump and cut. You should try it!
                      Last edited by Masta' C; 11-29-2019, 03:16 PM.

Comment

This was the only demo that I sorta liked the sound of.

Similar playing to me in drop b. Mostly power chords and single note riff stuff. I like the low end to be tight and chunky, with some cut as well.

Comment

I kinda prefer the Nazgul though if I had to pick one, but Pegasus is ahead of both. Which one would have more upper-mid-range cut?

Comment

I kinda prefer the Nazgul though if I had to pick one, but Pegasus is ahead of both. Which one would have more upper-mid-range cut?
                            Nazgul has more upper mids than Pegasus for sure, hands down.

Comment

As masta' c said, it's important to consider how those people are dialing in the rigs that they're using. As I use a pickup set (the Alpha/Omega) that is definitely on the brighter, more articulate side, I counter this by using darker-sounding cabinet IRs and amps in my Helix or whatever other amp sim that I use. I think a lot of the videos you might have seen are going for brighter tones than what it seems you are. The Black Winter is definitely not an overly bright pickup (which seems to have been your complaint about the Nailbomb you have currently) and has plenty of upper mid cut with a solid low end. I think it's a much better pickup than the Nazgul and would definitely be more of a step in the right direction for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                                Nazgul has more upper mids than Pegasus for sure, hands down.
                                Shame that cos I like the sound of the Pegasus lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X