Thread: How hot does a neck SC have to be to keep up with a JB?

Default How hot does a neck SC have to be to keep up with a JB?

I have been trying to decide on a H/S setup for a Strat I'm throwing together. I've never personally had a guitar that had a bridge humbucker with a neck single coil and I have been trying to read up on getting a good volume balance between the two.
    My goal is to put a JB in the bridge and get the most vintage SRV/Hendrix sound out of the neck, without being too quiet.

I am currently trying to decide whether to pair it with a Classic Stack Plus STK-S4 or a Vintage Hot Stack STK-S7.

The problem is that the consensus seems to be all over the place as to how well different types of pickups get along with each other.
    Some people seem to have a very difficult time getting the bridge pickup to not completely overpower the neck pickup, whereas others claim that with a little bit of height adjustment, pretty much any output mismatch can be compensated for.

So my question to you fine people is: Would a STK-S4 and a JB work together if I mess around with the height enough?
    If not would it be better for me to opt for a higher output single coil like the Vintage Hot Stack? Or try to find a different bridge pickup?

I really don't need hot pickups, in fact I generally prefer more vintage output stuff. My love for the JB is purely from the chewy, harmonic laden, lead tone, I couldn't care less about hitting the preamp; so if anybody knows a pickup that shares the squishy bass and vocal mids or the JB that isn't so hot, I'm all ears!

That turned into a bit of a ramble, many thanks to anybody that made it through the post, and any input is greatly appreciated.

-oilpit
    Quote Originally Posted by jcthejester13 View Post
    Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Default Re: How hot does a neck SC have to be to keep up with a JB?

To me, there is a pretty big tone difference between the S4 and S7. If I want a true Stratty sound in the neck, I'd go for the S4, even if it might just be slightly quieter than a perfect balance. The S7 sounds like a thicker, muddier Strat to me- far enough away from a typical Strat EQ that I don't generally use that model.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    To me, there is a pretty big tone difference between the S4 and S7. If I want a true Stratty sound in the neck, I'd go for the S4, even if it might just be slightly quieter than a perfect balance. The S7 sounds like a thicker, muddier Strat to me- far enough away from a typical Strat EQ that I don't generally use that model.
    Interesting. So just taking a step back from tone really quick, will the S4 be loud enough to balance with a JB in the bridge? I was mostly thinking that the S7 would just be easier to pair with because it's louder and from all the clips I've heard it still sounds pretty Stratty.

But if the S4 will do the trick then I would prefer it to sound as glassy and open as possible, which I assume it will do better.

Thanks for responding
    Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Louder single coils almost always give up some treble, it's inherent in getting more output, more winds. Unless you go to silver wire, or use more powerful magnets, which have tradeoffs in either price or stratitis.

Whether that's bad, opposite a pickup that itself has some treble rolloff, is a matter of taste.

Some people prefer to EQ their rig for the particular guitar (Billy Gibbons has been known to use a MIDI programmable equalizer so that he can compensate for any guitar he uses live, and make them as similar to his favorite sound as is possible with an equalizer.) If you fall into that camp, having a little bit of the same tone profile across all the pickups can work nicely.

Others prefer their perfect strat sounds, and just cope with the humbuckers doing whatever they do. Problem is, not everybody agrees on what a perfect strat sound is... Depends on the player, instrument, amp, speakers, etc.

Do you want a fatter strat sound in the neck? Only way to know may be to try it and see. STK-S7 is primarily meant to be a bridge pickup, but some people do like it for a more SRVish sound in the neck, without having to resort to heavy strings with stacked tube screamers & other tricks to emphasize the mids and roll off the high end.

Given you want glassy, I'd probably try the STK-S4n first, and only consider trying the STK-S7 if the Classic Stack Plus falls too far short on output.

Quote Originally Posted by oilpit View Post
    Interesting. So just taking a step back from tone really quick, will the S4 be loud enough to balance with a JB in the bridge? I was mostly thinking that the S7 would just be easier to pair with because it's louder and from all the clips I've heard it still sounds pretty Stratty.

But if the S4 will do the trick then I would prefer it to sound as glassy and open as possible, which I assume it will do better.

Thanks for responding
    The S4 is the one you want if you want glassy and open. If you lower the JB just a bit, I think the balance would work. You'd like the tone better, certainly.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

500k pots or 250k?

Wire up a separate volume pot for each pickup and then add a treble bleed for the JB. This would let you drop the volume of the JB without changing the tone much, AND lets you use the 250k pot that a single coil wants to see for volume.

Use the third knob as a master tone for the whole guitar.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    500k pots or 250k?
    That was going to be decided in part by which neck pickup I went with, although I haven’t made a firm decision. I was thinking of choosing between 500 or 250 depending on if I got the S7, or the S4, respectively.

Although I may actually take GuitarStv’s suggestion and go with independent volumes.

i really like the ssl6 with 500k pots in the neck with a bucker in the bridge

I think an SDS-1 with 500k volume should be considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tone Member

Pull the neck entirely and grab some spandex.

I haven't tried my self but I in demos the Parallel Axis Stacked single coil seems be an interesting choice. I used the STK-S6 with a JB for sime time and I think it was a good option too. Honestly I liked the Fury neck better with the JB because of its lead tone. The STK-S6 sounds more like a Strat single coil really, it has better quack but the Fury was better with gain. You may need to lower the JB a bit with any of those.
    Who took my guitar?

my banana hammock hosts a leetle peppercini and has hit the skids Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

I was gonna say through a raging Marshall on 11? Won't matter. But that isn't what you are doing....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    i really like the ssl6 with 500k pots in the neck with a bucker in the bridge
    I’m really enjoying the SSL-5 with a Custom 5 and 500k volume. The SSL-5 isn’t a classic sounding pickup, but if you go from a humbucker to that, and kick on a tube screamer, it’ll sound plenty Stratty until you compare it to an old Strat.

Quote Originally Posted by OLDERBUDWISER View Post
    Pull the neck entirely and grab some spandex.
    sometimes the best advice is the hardest to accept

Get the S4. Great neck pickup. I personally like the output difference between it and a hotter bridge. Diversity in a simple setup. Try a 250K volume pot and 500K tone w/ .022 tone cap. The JB actually sounds better to my ears with 250K vs. 500K. I think it'll be much easier to balance the two as well.
    Last edited by ErikH; 12-10-2019 at 07:54 AM.

Toneologist

Definitely a 250k pot and lower the JB a little until they balance fairly well.