PowerStage 170

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowerStage 170

So, I had an issue with my reissue JTM45 over the weekend. I suspect the valves are on their way out. I have been toying with the idea of getting a smaller combo to use for bar gigs and keep the JTM45 for larger gigs. I also thought about utilising my Blackstar HT Dual in combination with a PowerStage 170 as a small, convient 'grab-and-go' pedal board amp.

What do you guys think?

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Re: PowerStage 170

I’m not 100% sure because I’ve never tried it but I think you can use the Blackstar without the power amp(?). It has an emulated output jack. I have set it up feeding into a computer interface for recording and it works great like that, but I’ve never fed it to a speaker or PA system.
    I’ve always been curious whether it would work like I described.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
      I’m not 100% sure because I’ve never tried it but I think you can use the Blackstar without the power amp(?). It has an emulated output jack. I have set it up feeding into a computer interface for recording and it works great like that, but I’ve never fed it to a speaker or PA system.
      I’ve always been curious whether it would work like I described.
      Yeah, so I know that I could run the Blackstar straight into the desk without a problem, but I'm thinking of a more convenient amp set up for gigs. Whether it's worth getting a smaller combo, or just use the HT Dual->PowerStage 170->1936 cab.

Comment

I was curious as to whether the Blackstar could be run straight into the 1936.....have you tried that or does it require a power amp?

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
          I was curious as to whether the Blackstar could be run straight into the 1936.....have you tried that or does it require a power amp?
          I must admit I haven't tried it, but I suspect there won't be enough output from the pedal.

Comment

i cant imagine a preamp like that is going to push a cab. the 170 is a cool thing to have around for sure!

Comment

I recently picked up a quilter micro block 45 for $100. It sounds pretty good, how many watts do you need?

I see carvin has a new 100 watt stereo pedal for $200. Looks pretty nice and the price is right. The Seymour Duncan 170 seems nice too but I don’t need more than 100 watts probably and the price is a bit too high.

Comment

170w @ 4 ohms which means 85w or something like that @ 8 ohms, 50w @ 16 ohms. better to have more ss power than you need. ive never loved the sound of a ss power section clipping. ive had a crate power block since it came out which sorta serves the same function but its 150w @ 8ohms in mono but can also run stereo. i wouldnt want any less power and i run a 22w tube combo most of the time

Comment

Just purchased the PowerStage 170 and wondering if it is possible to use it with my Fender 212R by plugging it in to the power in Effects Loop?

Comment

Originally posted by Glenster View Post
                    Just purchased the PowerStage 170 and wondering if it is possible to use it with my Fender 212R by plugging it in to the power in Effects Loop?
                    Welcome to the forum!

You can come out of the Fender's preamp out into the PowerStage, into a speaker.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
                      So, I had an issue with my reissue JTM45 over the weekend. I suspect the valves are on their way out. I have been toying with the idea of getting a smaller combo to use for bar gigs and keep the JTM45 for larger gigs. I also thought about utilising my Blackstar HT Dual in combination with a PowerStage 170 as a small, convient 'grab-and-go' pedal board amp.

What do you guys think?
                      Utilising the HT Dual with the PS-170 is a great idea, I think. I have a similar type of setup that I use for traveling, with the Palladium pedal and the PS-170, that I usually run into either a 2x12 or a 4x12 depending on the gig. I love my tube amp but it's just been more practical to travel to most of my gigs with this setup. I have fooled around a little bit with that HT Dual in the past and I think it's got a great sound, won't have quite the same type of compression and bark that you'd get with a proper all valve amp but it's damn close. I've never had any issue of wanting more volume from the 170, it's plenty loud. While I can't knock the awesomeness of a good quality combo amp, I really like the option of being able to swap out the preamp/distortion/gain-stage in this setup if I get bored or depending on the sound I'm going for at the time (I've cycled through several different pedals in my PS-170 pedalboard amp setup already). So to me it's a good option.
                      They also just announced the PowerStage 200 recently, that has some additional features that may or may not be of interest. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...uitar-amp-head

Comment

I've got the 170 heading my way, maybe I should've waited!

Comment

Originally posted by Glenster View Post
                          Not sure I'm following what you're trying to do. You can't plug the output of the PowerStage into the return of the effects loop, that will most likely blow up the Fender. You can run the output of the fx loop into the input of the PowerStage and then use the PowerStage to run a separate cab.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post

What do you guys think?
                            Using the Blackstar HT Dual with the PowerStage 170 sounds like a pretty compact rig. It wouldn't fit in the pedal-board, but the PowerStage 700 would let you run stereo and optionally add a cabinet simulation if you need it.

Comment

Working...
                            X