banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should my next amp be? EVH 50W or PRS MT15... or something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should my next amp be? EVH 50W or PRS MT15... or something else?

I know, two different price points, but hear me out:

I currently own a Krank Rev Jr. and an EVH 5150III LBX. I love both, but they can't seem to get me what I want turned up loud. The Krank has the low-end, and it runs on (I guess underpowered) 6L6's, but turned up to a point where it competes with a drummer, it just starts farting out. Overall, though, I kinda prefer the very tight/modern voicing of the EVH's preamp. It's a killer-sounding bedroom amp. Turned up loud to a full-band setting, the big, round low-end disappears, and the EL84's it's powered by start sounding too much like EL84's. It's not farty like the Krank, but it is honky and squishy and a bit too focused-sounding.

So I've read the PRS MT15 is loud. Well, then, so are the Krank and the EVH, but they're definitely not ideal for the big wall-of-sound kinda loud metal band scenario. I just wonder if the MT15 holds together better than either the EVH or Krank at full-band volumes. I like the clips I've heard of the MT15 because it seems to be more of a modern, smooth, saturated sound like the EVH rather than an edgy, dry, attacky distortion like the Krank. The MT15 pumps out even less watts than the Krank on paper (15 vs 20), but it is fixed-biased like the EVH and not cathode-biased like the Krank... so I wonder how much of a difference that makes. I'd definitely hope it does pull it off because, well, it would be the cheaper option.

Or should I just shell out the money for a 50W EVH? I mean, I'm pretty sure that will pull the big bottom-end no problem. I am aware too much bottom-end is actually detrimental to a guitar sound, especially in a full-band setting, but it's not about the amount of bottom-end. It's more about the the shape and the quality of the big yet tight feel, which neither the Krank or the EVH have at such levels. I mean, the 5150 would be a no-brainer, but it is like 50% more expensive than the MT15.

Has anyone had a chance to compare both? Or maybe even to the LBX or the Krank? What are you guys' thoughts?

Re: What should my next amp be? EVH 50W or PRS MT15... or something else?

Is the clean channel important to you? Do you have the LBX ii or the original?

Only reason I ask is because if you have the LBX ii and you enjoy the clean channel, you'll be dissapointed by the 50w's green channel. It's not nearly as nice as the LBX II. Unfortunately I have not tried the PRS one sorry.

But the 50w evh will most definitely give you that huge low end thump you need. I plugged in my 330 to it the other day and was amazed at the thump i got playing some AC/DC.

Comment

I have the LBX 1. I also had the 2, and the clean channel was indeed great, but I wanted the red channel on the 1. And nah, lol. As long as it has a clean channel, I'm not too picky.

Comment

Not sure if this helps, but I've owned and gigged with the EVH 100 W for several years now and if the 50 is anything like it, you'll have plenty of bottom end to go around and then some. It's a metal machine for sure (with lovely cleans to boot). Don't expect it to be 5150-like-tight though, at least not out of the gate.

I spent about 30 minutes in the store with the MT15 and to the best of my recollection, I had no complaints about the low end. The gain channel was VERY gainy though. Ridiculously so. If you ever want something a bit more relaxed, you might not be happy. But then again, the clean channel was very, very good so you could probably stick a low-mid gain dirt box of choice in front of it and call it a day.
        Last edited by Coma; 11-26-2019, 02:26 PM.
        --------------------------------------------------------
        1973 Aria 551
        1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
        1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
        1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
        1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
        1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
        2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Owned a MT 15 since May and is still the amp I plug into the most out of everything I own. Absolutely LOVE this little amp and yep it's LOUD. Runs big iron and a pair of 6L6's sounds like a 50 watt amp not a 15 in every way!! One of my all time favorite amps I have ever played through at any price and I have owned or do own some pretty good amps.. My MT15 is a MONSTER!
          As far as the MT 15 hanging in a full band situation this is from the MT 15 Facebook site so---.
          Last edited by Ascension; 11-26-2019, 09:36 PM.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
            Not sure if this helps, but I've owned and gigged with the EVH 100 W for several years now and if the 50 is anything like it, you'll have plenty of bottom end to go around and then some. It's a metal machine for sure (with lovely cleans to boot). Don't expect it to be 5150-like-tight though, at least not out of the gate.

I spent about 30 minutes in the store with the MT15 and to the best of my recollection, I had no complaints about the low end. The gain channel was VERY gainy though. Ridiculously so. If you ever want something a bit more relaxed, you might not be happy. But then again, the clean channel was very, very good so you could probably stick a low-mid gain dirt box of choice in front of it and call it a day.
            Is the gain channel even gainier than the EVH? I run my gain at 9 o'clock, and it's still more than my Krank at 3:00, lol.

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
            Owned a MT 15 since May and is still the amp I plug into the most out of everything I own. Absolutely LOVE this little amp and yep it's LOUD. Runs big iron and a pair of 6L6's sounds like a 50 watt amp not a 15 in every way!! One of my all time favorite amps I have ever played through at any price and I have owned or do own some pretty good amps.. My MT15 is a MONSTER!
            As far as the MT 15 hanging in a full band situation this is from the MT 15 Facebook site so---.
            https://www.facebook.com/tim.torrens...8194251730579/
            I can't watch the video. Facebook says "the content isn't available".

What do you think about the amp's low-end at high volumes? Does it hold together?

Comment

Well, on my EVH, the red channel is obviously never gonna do cleans, but already going from 12 to 2 o'clock there is a noticeable increase in saturation. Below 12 isn't a bad sound, but it's definitely not enough to get the tone I need for the songs I play.

By comparison, the MT15 definitely has a sweep, but the problem I have with it is that it begins at "very saturated" and then ends in what I can only assume is "very extremely saturated". There's no place to go if you want something a little dialed back. I'm not talking about old school rock type crunch here, more in the realms of 90's metal. I would've loved the MT15 when I was 16 or so and into the whole "more gain is better gain" approach to distortion.

YMMV. From what I've read it's gotten tons of praise from other people who have tried it.
              --------------------------------------------------------
              1973 Aria 551
              1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
              1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
              1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
              1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
              1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
              2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                Is the gain channel even gainier than the EVH? I run my gain at 9 o'clock, and it's still more than my Krank at 3:00, lol.

I can't watch the video. Facebook says "the content isn't available".

What do you think about the amp's low-end at high volumes? Does it hold together?
                Holds very well it's running 6L6's not EL 84's and the cleans are also tighter than you would think at volume. Sounds like a 50 watt amp.
                VERY touch sensitive dynamic amp also. Not a one trick pony by any means.
                Last edited by Ascension; 11-29-2019, 01:17 PM.
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                  Well, on my EVH, the red channel is obviously never gonna do cleans, but already going from 12 to 2 o'clock there is a noticeable increase in saturation. Below 12 isn't a bad sound, but it's definitely not enough to get the tone I need for the songs I play.

By comparison, the MT15 definitely has a sweep, but the problem I have with it is that it begins at "very saturated" and then ends in what I can only assume is "very extremely saturated". There's no place to go if you want something a little dialed back. I'm not talking about old school rock type crunch here, more in the realms of 90's metal. I would've loved the MT15 when I was 16 or so and into the whole "more gain is better gain" approach to distortion.

YMMV. From what I've read it's gotten tons of praise from other people who have tried it.
                  I'm primarily a Worship player and adore the MT15. Best lead tones I have ever gotten out of any amp i have ever owned just fluid and smooth. Incredibly dynamic amp on the crunch side that cleans and opens up very well with touch and guitar volume. Yes it has a lot of gain but it's not buzzy and harsh gain so for me is incredibly usable. It also is far from a one trick pony.
                  Guitars

Comment

Everyone needs a Plexi clone.

Comment

Working...
                    X