Good HSH/SSS Configuration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good HSH/SSS Configuration?

What I mean by that is.. I have an SSS Pickguard and I would like to convert to an HSH setup in the same pickguard. To have a more versatile axe. I don't find myself craving the SRV or Hendrix type SSS tones anymore but I like the way this guitar feels. I still need good Strat tones in the middle and split positions though for when I do need that single coil sound !

Do any of the single coil sized PAFs for example actually sound like a good ole PAF?

I'm just asking cause I'd like to keep the same pickguard for sentimental reasons. Other than that I would 100% replace the pickguard but on this one I'd like to keep it the same.

I'm looking for Versatility.. CCR to Megadeth on the same guitar. For the record my favorite pickups are JB/Jazz, favorite single coil would probably be the SSL-1 or the antiquity surfers. The single coil I can pretty much figure out on my own but I have no experience with Duncan single sized buckers.

A) Lil 59 Neck / SSL-1 (or classic stack) / JB Jr.?

If the JB jr really sounds like a real JB, then it's definitely the bridge pickup I want.

But failing that..

B) Lil 59 Neck/SSL-52 / Lil 59 Bridge ?
    C) Cool rails neck, SSL-1 , Cool rails bridge? (Even though I'm not crazy about the look of rails on this guitar)
    D) any other ideas
    E) am I better off going for a true HSH pickguard ? Cause if the single sized ones really don't sound as good I don't mind switching.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Re: Good HSH/SSS Configuration?

E

Don’t get me wrong, I think the other setups would sound good as well (Like lil 59 neck / JB jr bridge) but it looks like you know what you’re after so I would go for an actual HSH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I've never heard a single coil size humbuckcer sound like an actual PAF. Close, but the design has some limitations. How close it is probably depends on your ear and experience. That being said, I'd still go with your B choice, although I might replace the middle with a Classic Stack and keep it all hum-cancelling.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I sort of want to recommend Lace Sensors: Either Red/Silver/Blue or a Hot Gold with the 16k bridge option or whatever. My Hot Gold Strat sounds way too perfect for drop-D metal, yet the neck/middle are incredibly accurate Strat tones (possibly due to 500k pots?) I wouldn’t say the bridge Hot Gold sounds like a JB, but it does a decent impression of a high output humbucker - I’ve heard the Red even moreso.
        Originally posted by King Buzzo
        I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Its hard to get both quack & paf sounds in a hsh/hss setups due to the position of the coils, granted that is if you are after authentic strat quack, otherwise if not picky then it can work.

You could go H/H instead too & use switches to get various combos of coils to give variety of sounds like prs does, it would save you some money on the middle single.

Comment

Like the answers so far guys! Thanks

So to kinda clarify my original post I guess I should say I'm looking for as close to a JB tone in the bridge as possible, PAF isn't exactly what I'm looking for, I just definitely don't want that modern ceramic type of tone y'know.

I will definitely be going with 500k pots, btw.

The "Strat" sounds don't have to be perfectly authentic, just needs to have a volume drop and nice glassy sounds there for nice cleans. "Close enough " to a Strat.

I'm kind of thinking I'll have to go with a real HSH JB/Jazz / Classic stack setup , was just hoping I could get close enough to that with an SSS Pickguard. Still open to opinions and advice though !

So I'll bug you with some other questions.

What kind of switch do I need to do this ?
            1. Bridge HB
            2. Bridge HB split with middle
            3. Middle
            4. Neck HB split with middle
            5. Neck

I will add another little 2 way switch that turns on the neck humbucker so I can get my Bridge/Neck position too. And maybe some other neat sounds too. What do I want to buy for that ? I'd probably put it where the bottom tone control is, and use a master tone control.

Finally.. where can I buy a mint green ish HSH pickguard that looks like this ? Usually the ones I see are TOO green. This is one that used to be white, like the switch tip, and it aged to green like this.

Last edited by BeKindRewind; 11-27-2019, 02:27 PM.

Comment

I would rather use an actual HSH pickguard to have more options. If you really really want to keep your SSS pickguard why not trying some "high output" single coils like Quarter Pound or STK-S9? I have not try them but that is what I would do use for a punchier, more rock and roll strat.
              Who took my guitar?

Comment

Well, the JB Jr does sound like a JB, about 90% there. If that's the sound you want, just do it.

Comment

I actually have been putting more thought into it, playing it every day and testing stuff.

and I want to go HSS. I'm not married to the idea of a humbucker in the neck and I wonder how I would do with a single there.

JB in the bridge , for sure. I'm going to order a black/red ply HSS pickguard from warmoth.

But for the neck and middle .. hmm. I was thinking just using the 2 remaining antiquities in this guitar would sound great. If a JB antiquity didn't cost a fortune I'd go for that, that would be awesome.
                  but it's too much when a regular JB is routinely available for $50 or 60.

Any thoughts ? I'm gonna use an S1 switch the split the JB and other than that, standard 5-way fender switch.

If I decide to switch back to HSH later I could put a Lil 59 or a red devil in the neck.

So I wonder what singles go well with a JB? I'm thinking just the good ole SSL-1 (or my antiquities which are Surfer II) would be fine but wanna know who's tried what. I don't care much about volume drops. Basically I wanna be able to go between Mustaine and Hendrix on the same guitar, that's all.

Comment

The Surfers would work great tone-wise in the guitar, but keep in mind that the JB will be a lot louder. Some people use that as a built-in boost and they are OK with the volume imbalance.

Comment

JB and antiquities it is, then ! It's the most affordable option anyway since all I need to buy is the pickguard, the S1 and the pots.

Yea, the volume drop is something I kind of want for this guitar.

So... 250k or 500k pots? I'm thinking 250 but I definitely still want the JB to sound like a JB and I like how it sounds in this guitar with a 500.

Comment

I'd say 500 volume, and 500 for tone for the JB, 250 for the tone for the Surfers.

Comment

If you are dead set on the JB bridge I would go with a set of the Texas hots as the singles. Would be a much better tonal and output match. Also make sure you use the standard wind single in the middle not a RW/RP with the RP/RW in the neck if you want the pos 2 to be hum canceling. The Texas hots however being north leading use the normal neck with the RW/RP middle with a bucker split as they are backwards polarity wise from normal Duncan singles.
                          My personal preference would be the Texas Hots neck and middle with a hybrid bridge. Would be a better tonal and output balance and if you have not used a hybrid you will be surprised at but how it punches in a mix and also the harmonics.
                          Last edited by Ascension; 12-05-2019, 09:32 AM.
                          Guitars
                          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys, I am gonna try it with my Surfers and th JB (since I already own them) just for now to get a taste for HSS and see what I need to change from there.

I was wondering if one of you geniuses can now help me with wiring. I don't want to purchase anything until I figure out what options I could have.

My thoughts are kind of this.
                            I think that I'd like to have a standard fender 5 way switch, just works the way a normal Strat works, however I do want to be able to split the JB. But I definitely also want a Bridge+Neck option, which I could also choose to split, or not split the JB.

I am thinking then, that I need 2 seperate switching devices, and one of them splits the JB, the other turns the neck pickup on, regardless of what else is happening. I do not want to be able to do either of these by accident.

Would that work if I had 2 fender S1 switches? Is there some more efficient way I can do this ? I was thinking a superswitch but I don't really want to lose any of the currently existing tones that are on the standard switch .. any advice appreciated ; I've never been an advanced wiring guy, always kinda just used the standard 3 or 5 way switch. What do you HSS lovers like to use ?

Comment

Push/Pulls would work, and be cheaper than S1s, but S1s are more elegant and much easier to engage on a Strat.

Comment

Working...
                              X