Good HSH/SSS Configuration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good HSH/SSS Configuration?

Any particular reason you want the S1(s)? They are pretty pricey and wont do any more for what you want than a push/pull or a push/push.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
      Any particular reason you want the S1(s)? They are pretty pricey and wont do any more for what you want than a push/pull or a push/push.
      Just seems like a better option I guess? Easier to use , but also more difficult to hit by accident . I don't know how I feel about having to reach down, grip the pot and pull it out when I want to switch, and then change the feel of my volume control . S1 wouldn't seem to have that problem

I do like the idea of push/push but seems too easy to hit by accidsnt, also, I've been told there really doesn't exist a quality option for push/push and they're all kinda disappointing in terms of usability and durability.
      Then again I have really no experience with any of them, the S1 is just what kinda grabbed me as being the coolest option

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, most push/push pots will fail within a year or 2. That is an area that can really be improved on.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I got ya.

Yeah, my S1 has been very durable and I have never hit it by mistake because the switch button sits protected inside the volume knob.

Comment

I'd like to weigh in on the cool rail for the neck position by experience. Go with the mini humbucker, you will not regret it when using it alone. I never use it as a single unless I want a position 4 Strat sound. It sounds really good if you are going for a layed back clean sound or slight overdrive. Bend all you want and never drop volume, so long as your sustain is good. I'm not sure how it will sound combined with a bridge pickup though. I couldn't figure out how to add that option in with my setup. I already have 14 options adding the bridge-neck would be insane on my setup.

I feel like you need a super hot pickup to play heavy metal and sound good (personal opinion). I would just find the hottest bridge pickup you can find and turn the volume down when you want to play CCR. A mini will not sound like a full size, but it will be close. Again, whether you go mini or full, just go hot on the bridge.

Comment

Ok. I finally got the funds to make a move here. Got some gift cards for Christmas - and was just simply gonna buy the JB Jr. As I figured I would be over the moon with it. The sound clips are really good. And I should've done exactly that but I decided to do some last bits of research before pulling that trigger.

But that's when I stumbled on the Red Devil sound clips. Man I am in love with that tone now too. And found several reviews saying it was the best SC sized humbucker ever.

And it's alnico 5 too - meaning I might actually like it better, since it might actually be closer sonically to what I enjoy about the full sized JB.

Gibbons is one of my favorite players, too. I love his tone for the same reasons I love Dave Mustaine - rich in harmonics, loaded with overtones , dirty but not really that dirty, modern but with a vintage twist.

Just wondering if anyone's got some firsthand experience with both. The red devil is like 25 bucks more expensive and I'm just wondering if you think I'd be happier with that or the JB Jr.

Last edited by BeKindRewind; 12-27-2019, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Side question with a much easier answer.

Do I want parchment or cream for the best match with these neck and mid pickups ?

They're the covers that came with my antiquities.

Comment

I like the JB Jr but I would be really curious to hear the A5 Red Devils since I like alnico way better than ceramic in full size HBs.
                  The things that you wanted
                  I bought them for you

Comment

My thoughts exactly Clint.

Im not the hugest fan of ceramic pickups. I like the custom, but only to a point, and that's about the only ceramic pickup I would actually consider putting in a guitar I own. However in the sound clips of the JB Jr. They really don't sound all that ceramic. The red devil sound clips definitely don't sound ceramic though. And I do wonder if it's actually closer to the real sound because of that

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
                      Side question with a much easier answer.

Do I want parchment or cream for the best match with these neck and mid pickups ?
                      I'm not familiar with antiquity pickups, bit cream pickguard will look quite dark. Generally parchment is a safe choice for the pickguard, even if the covers are cream.
                      Last edited by Teleplayer; 12-27-2019, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Well - I gave up the idea of keeping the same pickguard. I decided that I might as well just go with what I know what I want after all, so I cruised eBay and reverb and found a nice HSS pickguard from around the same year, and an old white JB looks about 20 years old. It's not trem spaced, but I really don't care. So hopefully it will keep around the same vibe as what the guitar has now - I want it to look like the guitar came stock with these pickups 13 years ago. I definitely didn't want to put a brand new pickguard in there. I'll have to get a push pull for one of the tone pots too, or find some other way to split the JB. Realized an S1 will look weird if I mix it with the existing original knob

Anyhow, will definitely post pictures and sound clips when I get it hooked up. Thanks for the help guys

Last edited by BeKindRewind; 12-30-2019, 01:04 PM.

Comment

I forgot to say...white Strats just make my heart twitter. Like riding a roller coaster. Yours is gorgeous!

I have a 50 year commemorative '57 Strat in Mary Kay white hanging on my wall in a case. Sometimes when I walk by, I just stop and stare for a few minutes, wipe the drool from my mouth, and continue on with my daily activities.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                            I forgot to say...white Strats just make my heart twitter. Like riding a roller coaster. Yours is gorgeous!

I have a 50 year commemorative '57 Strat in Mary Kay white hanging on my wall in a case. Sometimes when I walk by, I just stop and stare for a few minutes, wipe the drool from my mouth, and continue on with my daily activities.
                            Thanks man. I do have a soft spot for them too. I think my wife probably gets jealous that I just sit there and stare at it sometimes. It really looks amazing sitting there in the lamp light , due to its history it looks shiny and new yet aged at the same time.

The guitar is the only one I have that I bought new, in 2007 , it's an 06' 60th anniversary Strat. Got it with money from my first real job working for my dad. It got stolen from my friends basement in 09' and thought it was gone forever. Turned up in a pawn shop in(I think) 2017 and I got it back !! And somehow it was still in pretty much mint condition, just a little more yellowed. Just missing the original hard case. (I have a feeling the pawn shop owner was just trying to mitigate the damage, and he really had the case sitting behind the counter. No way it stayed this minty outside of a case.. but oh well)

So that's my reasoning for wanting to keep the original pickguard(and I will, in case I ever want to use it again) but the one I bought is close enough .

Last edited by BeKindRewind; 01-02-2020, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Cool story.
                              OMG, I'm so glad you got it back.

I've got over 50 guitars (two dozen of my own custom builds) and I have to admit that my '57 is my absolute favorite. Losing it would be like losing one of my kids. I would be devastated.

Comment

Working...
                              X