1992 Fender HM Strat pickup choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 Fender HM Strat pickup choices

I just picked up a MINT basically unplayed 1992 HM Strat. I never liked the DZ Super 3 pickup (had one in a Charvel San Dimas). Question is how are the stock fender single coils? I am unable to play the guitar since it is not setup and needs adjustments. I have a SSL-3n and a YJM neck i could swap.

Bridge pickup recommendations? I mostly play metal and hard rock but want some versatility. I have the following in my collection that i could put in the bridge:

PATB1
    Crazy 8
    TB10 Full Shred
    TB 12 Screamin' Demon
    Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
    Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Re: 1992 Fender HM Strat pickup choices

No suggestions from me, but congrats on the killer axe. I had one for a few years, and it was THE ****.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Ummmm..... we’re gonna need a pic!

Comment

Metal and hard rock, but not pigeonholed ("but want some versatility") sounds like a '59/Custom Hybrid to me.

Out of the ones you already own, the Screamin' Demon.
        Last edited by ItsaBass; 11-27-2019, 03:31 PM.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I'd try the PATB1 or the Demon.
          I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

If you have the single coils, I'd just try them. As far as the bridge, check out the Custom, 59/Custom Hybrid, and the Parallel Axis.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think i have counted out the PATB1 (i have it currently in 4 guitars) and the TB12 Demon. I think im going to go with the Crazy 8.

Here is the pic of the guitar like an hour after acquiring it. Bone stock no mods and dead mint!
              Click image for larger version

Name:	HM Strat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	5817663
              Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

How does it sound stock?

Comment

That looks clean - love the color!
                  MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
                  1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
                  1988 Kramer Nightswan
                  1989 Charvel Sambora
                  2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
                  Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
                  Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    How does it sound stock?
                    havent set it up yet. my experience with the Super 3 in the Charvel San Dimas Model 1 and 2 was not good.

Comment

What value are the volume/tone pots?

Comment

I think when you set it up stock, you can get a baseline for how the guitar sounds, so you might have different ideas of what you want to change (if anything).

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
                          What value are the volume/tone pots?
                          The tone pots for these are the TBX's. The value is probably 250k/1 Meg. From what I've read, the values have changed over the years. As for the volume pots, I don't believe there's a value stamped on them(just a serial #), at least not on mine. I would say it's either a 250k or 500k. If Heem6 would possibly know, if he is still around the forum.

That's a nice MIA HM for sure! Mine is stock, aside from swapping out the nickle coil switch for a Gotoh Black switch.

Name:	HM.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	5817716

Name:	HM2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	5817717

*EDIT* Here's a link for modding the TBX; https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...rol_Mod_Part_2
                          Last edited by The Guitar; 12-01-2019, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Guitar View Post
                            The tone pots for these are the TBX's. The value is probably 250k/1 Meg. From what I've read, the values have changed over the years. As for the volume pots, I don't believe there's a value stamped on them(just a serial #), at least not on mine. I would say it's either a 250k or 500k. If Heem6 would possibly know, if he is still around the forum.

That's a nice MIA HM for sure! Mine is stock, aside from swapping out the nickle coil switch for a Gotoh Black switch.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]102300[/ATTACH]
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]102301[/ATTACH]

*EDIT* Here's a link for modding the TBX; https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...rol_Mod_Part_2
                            I opened up the electronics cavity and saw a clearly stamped 500k volume pot. Yes, the tone pot is a tbx. I dont plan on changing any of the electronics. Maybe i will give this Super 3 a chance with this setup then go from there.

Comment

Maybe you could see what the Super 3 is like with parallel coils, and if it works, just wire it in that way for good. It's a 25 KOhm ceramic powered pickup. I would think running the coils in parallel would do nothing but improve it.
                              Originally posted by LesStrat
                              Yogi Berra was correct.
                              Originally posted by JOLLY
                              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X