banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your approach for soloing over a single chord for several bars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's your approach for soloing over a single chord for several bars?

Ya to me a factor in my solos sounding wankory is only maintaining 1 train of thought and trying to make it one big line. Or never taking the time to work out actual melodies and just fiddling with scales. If you structure it into smaller melodic phrases and then adapt them to contrast with and relate to each other while developing the solo as a whole, then it sounds more legit. If you do that, you can build a pro sounding solo with only pentatonic. Add in other scales, like the others said and you're gold.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 11-28-2019, 12:38 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Well, lets say, over a minor chord, you can play pentatonic, blues, Dorian, Phrygian, Aolian, Harmonic, & Melodic minor (and a ton of other ones). That's a lot of options.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Start with a sweeping arpeggio, break into an 8-finger tap dance, toss in a pick scrape or two, then finish with a harmonic at the 2.5 fret (G string) dive-bomb flourish.

Add the "Hot Face" look on yer mug for extra mustard.

Comment

I try to switch up modes occasionally. For instance, if I'm in a minor chord/key I'll play straight minor, dorian, phrygian, etc.

Here's an excellent example of jamming on one tonic with Joe Satriani. Go to the 24:00 mark to see what I mean.

Comment

To me, it depends on what happens after that one chord - is it leading somewhere, either a new verse or chorus, or resolution to another chord, etc?

If the next thing is a melodic section, like a verse or chorus, then calling forward hints of that melody into your one chord section will build expectation. If there’s resolution to another chord, then try runs to lead there, then pull back, like waves lapping a beach.

Final thought, drawing on Mogwai, Godspeed You! Black Emperor and others - don’t be afraid of motif repetition and drones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

In my simplest mind - solo in sections.

Section 1 = slight melody
              Section 2 = Shred
              Section 3 = return to and embellishment on melody
              section for = Ladder to climax

Or Single note/Double stop call/response style

Or Go modal...E minor penta, to E minor, to a Dorian movement, back to pentatonic, maybe a little Mixolydian to brighten it up, back to Penta for the finish.

Vary the register and the style...low/high/low etc
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I improvise melodies, and also go outside the chords.

Here’s one of my band’s songs that’s mostly in E during the solo. It’s also a very fast punk type thing. At first I couldn’t figured out what to play over it.

So I had to get creative and take the solo through different phases. I improvised most of it, and composed a couple of spots. Then I re-learned it and double tracked it. Live I just play it like the recording. It’s a challenge to get out of the solo and into the bridge. It keeps me on my toes.

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice solo, it fits the song well.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I start with a heavy metal solo, then I go to classic rock, then jazz, then I go to blues, then pop....if there is another bar I start to rap. OK, the truth is I just play the way I always play....I've been doing it so long I can't change.
                    *******Please check out some of my songs:
                    https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/de...bandid=1430296

Comment

Working...
                    X