Mo Joe too bright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mo Joe too bright

I'm using an ibanez RG655 with the mo joe bridge pickup into a Marshall JVM410jhs - I guess it would be the Satriani tone, but I find this setup to be too bright the more I play it...I grabbed my Fender American professional strat with the stock pickups, and through the JVM the sound was more to my liking, as far as brightness....I'm thinking its the 250K pots that may be taming that high end...

So......maybe wiring a 470K resistor on the outer lugs of the volume pot would be what I'm looking for, so it simulates the 250K pot with the Mo Joe.

Anyone do this, or run any bright humbucker through a bright marshall and have the 250K pot tame that high end?

If I get a 470K resistor, what is the wattage I should use? See 1/4,1/2, etc.

Thanks

Re: Mo Joe too bright

Just to clarify, are you saying that the Mo' Joe is even brighter than a Strat bridge pickup? Because if that is the case, it definitely isn't because the single coil has a 250k pot. Almost all single coils have that value pot and it is definitely not normal for a humbucker to be brighter than a single coil, regardless of pot value.

The JVM has really powerful tone stack and that is definitely still where I would recommend you turn to before you do anything to the wiring. How do you have your EQ set? Is the Mo Joe insanely bright on all the channels, regardless of how you EQ them?

And if you EQ the amp so that it doesn't sound too bright, how does the neck pickup sound? Also the tone control basically should do exactly what you're describing without having to solder anything.

If you really can't get the treble under control, on any of the four channels of the Marshall, even with extreme EQ settings, then there is definitely something wrong with either the pickup or the wiring. It's possible you've got it wired in parallel or have a bad connection somewhere that's messing with the signal.

Those are just a few of the ways I would start, off the top of my head, and there are a hell of a lot more things I'd try before I started changing pots or wiring resistors anywhere.
    Last edited by oilpit; 11-29-2019, 02:40 AM.
    Originally posted by jcthejester13
    Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

seems odd that the mo joe would be brighter than a strat bridge pup but a 250k pot (or the 470k resistor) on the mo joe would tame the high end. the resistor is easy to try if you can solder. value doesnt matter, 1/4w is plenty

Comment

Use a 300k pot with the Mo Joe...

Comment

I got a Ibanez 540R that currently got a older emg89 from the pre solderless emg days.. I plan on Satriani it up and add a mo joe in the bridge.. currently has 2 old dimarzio shockwave pickups in it and I plan on replace it them at the same time.. might replace them with 2 regular single coils or noiseless ones.

Comment

I REALLY want to try the Satur8....come on Masta'C reply to my private message
            Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
            Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

I remember my norton being really bright in one or two of my guitars.
              I think my warmoth strat was the worst offender.

I could see how the fred and mo joe could be bright.

It is a different bright than a single coil.

Comment

this is another trick I learned if the resistor fails. They say neck pickup but you could do this on any pickup. This is a really useful one especially those who have a bag full of cheap polyester capacitors sitting around.

Comment

this is another trick I learned if the resistor fails. They say neck pickup but you could do this on any pickup. This is a really useful one especially those who have a bag full of cheap polyester capacitors sitting around.

Comment

Originally posted by SF audio View Post
                    I'm using an ibanez RG655 with the mo joe bridge pickup into a Marshall JVM410jhs - I guess it would be the Satriani tone, but I find this setup to be too bright the more I play it...I grabbed my Fender American professional strat with the stock pickups, and through the JVM the sound was more to my liking, as far as brightness....I'm thinking its the 250K pots that may be taming that high end...

So......maybe wiring a 470K resistor on the outer lugs of the volume pot would be what I'm looking for, so it simulates the 250K pot with the Mo Joe.

Anyone do this, or run any bright humbucker through a bright marshall and have the 250K pot tame that high end?

If I get a 470K resistor, what is the wattage I should use? See 1/4,1/2, etc.

Thanks
                    Do you have any other pickups you can use that might be more to your liking that the Mo Joe?

Comment

Is nobody going to address the fact that the Mo Joe absolutely should not be brighter than a Stratocaster bridge pickup.

A new pot is NOT going to fix this dudes problem if a humbucker is behaving so bizarrely and his Strat sounds good.
                      Originally posted by jcthejester13
                      Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Originally posted by oilpit View Post
                        Is nobody going to address the fact that the Mo Joe absolutely should not be brighter than a Stratocaster bridge pickup.

A new pot is NOT going to fix this dudes problem if a humbucker is behaving so bizarrely and his Strat sounds good.
                        Agreed. I'd check the wiring - maybe the MoJoe is split? Or defective. It should not be brighter than a factory Strat bridge. No way.
                        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                        X