Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fender superswitch

Hi all. New member so please be kind!!
    I am wiring 2 humbucker pickups with a fender superswitch and am having a couple of problems. I am attempting the carlos modified diagram as posted 11/03/2013.
    I cannot get sound on positions 2 and 4, other 3 positions are ok.
    Can anyone clarify please if pins 1 through 4 on bottom left are connected to each other and bottom right pins 3 through 5 are linked or just jumpered 1 linked to 4 only on bottom left and 3 linked to 5 only on bottom right.
    I have assumed (I know never assume) that they are linked all the way across on both left and right and that is how I have it now.
    Many thanks
    Barrie
    Attached Files

Re: fender superswitch

Welcome to the forum. I am not a fan of this wiring myself but to help you out I did notice something not clearly drawn. Using Dimarzio super switches which are slightly different have a ton of super 5 way switch wirings if you're interested. The only thing I don't like is position 4 as it hums but it'll be a convincing strat tone so to each their own.

I'm glad I have a gaming computer monitor, the hard to see one is the purple wire (coilsplit from the neck) going to position 2 should help. However I'll draw this diagram out when I get the chance to at least update it as it's a very simple diagram. What I never knew was that the fender super 5 way switches were opposite.
    All the super 5 way switches I have are 0-12345 12345-0
    Fender ones such as oaks and grigsby are 0-54321 54321-0

Anyways what would I do differently, though not the exact wiring but I'd switch the bridge pickups coilsplit wire to
    white - hot lead
    black/green - coilsplit
    red/bare - ground to the back of the pot

Either way hope you enjoy the wiring if your pickups aren't Seymour Duncan I've also included a color code to help you out as there is only a few people who know superswitches on here. I'm pretty sure at the moment I'm one of the only ones who can draw diagrams out but either way insight is insight right.

Last edited by shadowfire90; 11-30-2019, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Hi shadowfire90. Many thanks for that wiring. will give it a go and see where we are.
      Great site by the way.
      Barrie

Comment

Hi shadowfire90. If I may trouble you again? upon wiring the switch as posted by you it does seem to work except upon fitting the switch it operates the neck pickup when in the bridge position ie when lever is towards the bridge pup. There is no way to fit the switch the other way due to space confinements. do you think you could oblige to switch the contacts at all? I have tried to study the contact layout without success. Please take into account a 72 yr old brain LOL.
        Regards
        Barrie

Comment

Not to worry, there is two kinds of super switches and companies should all make them the same like push pull pots or come up with more clever names to help differentiate between them. Luckily my background besides repairing guitars is graphic design so I can help you out.

To wire a super 5 way switch it's quite simple
          0 - is your common - Its job is to tell the wiring for that family of 5 to go to ground, hot lead or advanced stuff. This is important for the complex wirings
          1,2,3,4,5 - these represent what the switch will do in those positions.

Anyways to fix your problem there is two ways to approach this
          #1 - physically flip the switch , but i don't suggest doing this unless you're running low on solder.

or this would be a revised version of your diagram. notice how everything is mirrored, luckily this was easy to update in photoshop. Any other issues with this let me know.
          Last edited by shadowfire90; 12-03-2019, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Hi again. You sir are a gentleman. super service from you. A question if I may, have you come across the situation whereby with two volume pot's when you turn bridge full up it cuts the volume on the neck pup? nothing wrong with the pot measures ok 508K with no dead spots or anything.
            Again Regards
            Barrie

Comment

Glad I coudl help. Luckily this was an easy swap one wiring I drew for someone on here a few weeks ago I had to start from scratch which isn't too much of a burden but I enjoy drawing these out so it's no problem.

With passive pickups the only issue I'm aware of with two volumes is if one volume know is all the way up and the secondary volume is down to 0% (off) it'll create no volume. However double checking the wiring I wouldn't change a thing if I was asked to draw this out. Maybe someone can shed a little bit of insight on this. Premier guitar I believe did an article on two volume guitars a while ago. Google when you have time "mod garage" I've been modifying and wiring up guitars for around 11 years on and off and I'll even learn a piece or two of advice as I'm pretty much self taught.

Comment

Cheers for that. I know when I turn one vol down on les paul all goes off. Must get it modded again to individual vol pots. LOL
                Thanks again
                Barrie

Comment

Working...
                X