CHERRY Coloured Stain Needed!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHERRY Coloured Stain Needed!!

Howdy all~~ I'm looking for a source of an oil-based wood stain in CHERRY RED, not SG or LP Special like cherry, but more like a Luden's cough drop or cherry Nyquil, to mix with my natural flavored oil-based Minwax to put on my custom birdseye maple neck (not the fingerboard). The closest thing is Minwax's Sedona Red, but not quite soup. Being my first & probably only DIY, I am working blind, but knew enough to inquire whether it was oil or water based before jumping. So, where to to purchase such an seemingly evasive shade? I've been to Lowe's, H Depot, Ace/True Value, and fished endlessly online, & I'm tired. My imagination is leading me thoughts of Grenadine, Cherry Jello & the likes, food dye, but I know better. Any leads before I settle on just a trace amount of Sedona....don't want to go too dark & lose the birdseye.
    Thanks all & happy holidays.
    Kenny
    🕉

Re: CHERRY Coloured Stain Needed!!

You want a bright red dye, not a stain. Exactly what minwax product are you using?
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

FWIW, I have Tung Oil for the finished satin finish, the natural non-gloss absorbing Minwax is a very light yellowish vintage look, simple absorbing w/no gloss to sand down. So, the gameplan is to use small amounts of the cherry mixed with the Natural to better tone up the birdseye a bit. I've been testing on the pocket section & so far the Sedona Red is the nicest. I want a stain, not a spray or gel...simple quick drying Minwax.

I called StewMac & they said that their stain is water based. Nice color though....

Comment

Why does it have to be mixed??
        You could simply stain then add the product after that.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
          Why does it have to be mixed??
          You could simply stain then add the product after that.
          I was wondering that too. It would be a lot easier to do that way because there's no guessing about how to mix the stain or dye into the hard finish.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I don't want a hardcore red, just a hint, so if I simply added a trace amount to my Natural Minwax stain, I thought that would work. My final seal would be Tung Oil. Am I thinking correctly?
            Thanks

Comment

The nature of any tint is that it needs a certain intensity to actually be the colour that it says on the bottle.

Comment

Take a look at Rockler for TransTint Dye https://www.rockler.com/transtint-dyes. It comes in a number of colors and you can mix them with whatever you like. I used it on a Tele project recently where the body wouldn't accept oil-based stain.

Comment

Wudtone has a cherry color. I imagine the only way to get a bright red would be to use a white colored primer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Have you used oil based stain in the past?

In my experience, I would lean toward a water based stain if you can help it. Some clear coats react pretty strange with oil based stains.

Comment

Wouldn't a red stain with a yellow top coat make an orange
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                      X