YJM Fury Set questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJM Fury Set questions

These have four conductor wires. I've read that they are splitable for a hot single coil sound, hum and all. I'd like to wire in some versatility with these. Which wires go to the top coil and which to the bottom? I've read mixed messages on whether they sound okay in series or parallel. I'm definitely going to wire in a bright switch (Blower mod or whatever you want to call it). I appreciate any help on my options here, thanks!
    "Believe the word, I will unlock my door and pass the cemetery gates"

Re: YJM Fury Set questions

I've got a Dimarzio HS4 the older Yngwie Malmsteen one in the Seymour Duncan P-rail bible wiring where I get pretty much everything. With the Fury or really any other 4 wire single coil that is hum cancelling you can do a ton of wiring mods to them. This is what the P-rail bible wiring can do with them
    series - the sound you're accustom to with the pickups
    two types of coilsplit - both do sound different
    parallel
    the coilsplits will hum so that's the good news

if you want all 3 pickups to go parallel that is the easiest one to do. I've got a diagram for it.

If you follow the seymour duncan pickup color code and this extra diagram you'll do ok

as for a blower switch add this onto any wiring. I forget where I got the idea for this approach to the blower switch but everyone seems to like it, it'll be really beneficial to your YJM set.
    Last edited by shadowfire90; 11-30-2019, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Honestly, the times I played with split YJMs, it really wasn't an improvement. They sound awesome as they are. I believe those coils aren't equal, and the bottom one is much smaller so there isn't much to gain by splitting. They aren't like the old style stacks.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking I could do a push pull for the blower mod, and a push pull to split into the hot coil (the one on top). I have read from other posts that doing it that way will sound like a real hot single coil with some quack. Then I could do a third push pull for series/parallel. I'm just toying around with the thought process right now. I think I'll also do an in series treble bleed. I just don't know which two wires are the top, hot coil and which are the bottom, weak coil. Looking for color codes on stacks hasn't been revealing.

Comment

Oh, I'd just dcr them if I had them in my grubby little hands already, lol. They should be here next week.

Comment

Keep in mind, there is already tons of quack with them not split.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Keep in mind, there is already tons of quack with them not split.
              Right on! Thanks bro! I'm just weighing options on the versatility. I got the Blue Angel in prime shape. She's singing like an Angel, lol.

Comment

I hope the Blue Angel is everything you wanted. It is the ideal amp for me (when I use amps).

Comment

Originally posted by shadowfire90 View Post
                  I've got a Dimarzio HS4 the older Yngwie Malmsteen one in the Seymour Duncan P-rail bible wiring where I get pretty much everything. With the Fury or really any other 4 wire single coil that is hum cancelling you can do a ton of wiring mods to them. This is what the P-rail bible wiring can do with them
                  series - the sound you're accustom to with the pickups
                  two types of coilsplit - both do sound different
                  parallel
                  the coilsplits will hum so that's the good news

if you want all 3 pickups to go parallel that is the easiest one to do. I've got a diagram for it.

If you follow the seymour duncan pickup color code and this extra diagram you'll do ok
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]102279[/ATTACH]
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]102278[/ATTACH]

as for a blower switch add this onto any wiring. I forget where I got the idea for this approach to the blower switch but everyone seems to like it, it'll be really beneficial to your YJM set.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]102280[/ATTACH]
                  You're awesome Bro! I really appreciate your help!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    I hope the Blue Angel is everything you wanted. It is the ideal amp for me (when I use amps).
                    So far she's all I could ask for!

Comment

When I had the HS-3 I wasn't quite blown away with the tones I could get. Not even those trebly yngwie tones. So I disconnected the bottom coil, and I got a fantastic tone, much more suitable for alcatraz tones, and also hotter. So by any means, if those SD furies are similar go for it.

Comment

when looking for a really basic diagram i found this and thought of this post

the only down side is you won't get as many tone control options as you're limited to two pickups. But this is brilliant none the less.

Comment

Originally posted by shadowfire90 View Post
                          when looking for a really basic diagram i found this and thought of this post

the only down side is you won't get as many tone control options as you're limited to two pickups. But this is brilliant none the less.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]102299[/ATTACH]
                          Thanks Bro!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.K View Post
                            These have four conductor wires. I've read that they are splitable for a hot single coil sound, hum and all. I'd like to wire in some versatility with these. Which wires go to the top coil and which to the bottom? I've read mixed messages on whether they sound okay in series or parallel. I'm definitely going to wire in a bright switch (Blower mod or whatever you want to call it). I appreciate any help on my options here, thanks!
                            Look closely at where each of the four colors has the solder point on the flatwork. Then follow the coil wire from there to the coil it goes to.

Comment

Working...
                            X