banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 humbuckers, 3 way switch, and a bunch of 2 way switches . . . ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 humbuckers, 3 way switch, and a bunch of 2 way switches . . . ideas?

OK. This is basically for a super jazzmaster with two high output Dimarzio humbuckers and a three way pickup selector.

- Treble Bleed on the volume
    - Master treble cut tone 1
    - Master bass cut tone 2
    - There's series parallel switching for each 'bucker
    - There's a switch to coil tap both 'buckers for some sweet, sweet single coil action
    - The three little switches should fit in the upper bout where the jazzmaster rhythm tone/vol and rhythm/lead selector normally live

Problems:
    - Currently the coil cut won't work if a 'bucker is in parallel mode. Ideally, I'd like it if flipping the coil cut switch would always give a coil cut.
    - The coil cut is going on a separate switch so I can flick it one way or the other easily while playing. Haven't decided if the series/parallel switches should be push-pull pots or if they should be separate switches yet.
    - I'd like a way to automatically put a 500k resistor in parallel with the volume pot to drop it's value down automatically when using the coil cuts.
    - I had a complicated wiring scheme with a 5 way super switch going before, but I found it tricky to use live. I'd often hit the wrong notch on the switch when trying to flick to a different setting in the middle of a song. I figure with the switching above it would be harder to **** up.

I'm open to buying different switches or parts if they would get me closer to what I want. Anyone with suggestions?
    Last edited by GuitarStv; 11-30-2019, 08:08 PM.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Re: 2 humbuckers, 3 way switch, and a bunch of 2 way switches . . . ideas?

Thinking this through a bit more, I'm making a few changes to the initial circuit:

- Getting rid of the 1 meg pots . . . I figure that with the bass cut I'll be able to simulate extra clarity if necessary.
    - Re-wiring the pots in the tone circuit so that they work the correct direction :P
    - Adding a blower switch for the bridge 'bucker. This way I can have the guitar in any combination with any tone/volume setting - slam the full volume bridge humbucker for a solo, and then get immediately back to my settings for rhythm.
    - Figure I'll do the series/parallel stuff as push-pull pots and have two switches in the upper bout . . . one as the blower switch, one to change the guitar into single coil mode

Anyone want to check that I haven't cocked up the wiring?

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Looks like you're splitting the pups, not "tapping" them.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

The use of "tap" instead of "split" is a common mistake made even by those who SHOULD know better (guitar and pickup manufacturers and retailers). But our continual misuse of the terminology is only perpetuating the problem which leads to misunderstanding and, in our case as a help forum, misdiagnosis and incorrect solutions.

This is a very simple concept and there is really no excuse for us misunderstanding it and not getting it right.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          The use of "tap" instead of "split" is a common mistake made even by those who SHOULD know better (guitar and pickup manufacturers and retailers). But our continual misuse of the terminology is only perpetuating the problem which leads to misunderstanding and, in our case as a help forum, misdiagnosis and incorrect solutions.

This is a very simple concept and there is really no excuse for us misunderstanding it and not getting it right.
          I think here, on this forum where people come for actual info about pickups, it is important to use the right terms.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah, that was an error. Both buckers should be split, not tapped . . . as there is no wire to allow one to tap them. But the basic plan should work, right?

Comment

Working...
            X