Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 'woman tone' and SC's versus HB's

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    I'd love to hear an example of this, since my single coil guitars aren't wired like that.
    It's actually pretty good for single coils, but won't have the thickness of a humbucker guitar, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Tone Meister View Post
      So I’m not necessarily saying you’re wrong, but that article is hardly a primary source
      Originally posted by jcthejester13
      Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

The best woman tone I've ever got was a stock Phat Cat in neck position on a pos mini scale guitar. I kind of wish I had kept it. It was insane. The bass fundamental thumped through all fat even with the gain on.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Tone Meister View Post
          No, the classic woman tone is pickup selector in middle position, both volumes up fully, and the bridge tone rolled all the way down. Anything else is a derivative of the real thing.

Minute 18:30-18:55

You need to hear the exact words.

He says "the woman tone is produced by using the bass p'up or the lead p'up but with the bass off. In fact, you can use both p'ups and take all the bass off on the tone control.. to take it out to one or out, you know, on the tone control and then turn the volume full up, you know, and it's supposed to sound like this"

What I understand of what those words meant for him, is, that any p'up, separately or both, with the volume full up and the tone all the way down meant "woman tone".

Any other interpretation of those words?

/Peter
          Last edited by Discharged; 12-02-2019, 01:11 PM.
          Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
          Kolding, Denmark

Comment

WTF does Clapton know about his tone? :P
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I’ve never thought this “woman tone” was all that good to begin with.

Comment

for years i thought it referred to the neck position...

Comment

that's what I was getting at..I think at some point I'll replace the front HB on my SG with a P90 or hum cancelling single coil ...
                  Last edited by Gold star; 12-02-2019, 04:26 PM.

Comment

The standard Telecaster neck p/u as I recall , makes a good rhythm unit ; for all styles, but even that often gets replaced by a humbucker...
                    Last edited by Gold star; 12-03-2019, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Well, the formula is essentially any humbucker with the tone rolled down into a Fender-derived Marshall amp. I haven't really heard a known guitarist get that sound with a single coil. Blackmore was close, but then I learned he was actually using a 335 on the first few DP albums.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                        I read Clapton's autobiography, and according to him - his "woman tone" was the bridge pickup with the tone rolled off - NOT the neck pickup.
                        For years I believed itt was the neck pick up..tone rolled down

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                          Single coils in the neck just sound different than a humbucker. They've got a very precise and almost hollow sound that is lovely clean.

A humbucker (even low output PAF style) is a less clear and less defined sound than a single coil . . . this works nicely in the bridge where the twanginess of the strings adds lots of clarity to the sound. In the neck it can be a tough to get clarity with even medium output 'buckers. The higher output of a bucker in the neck combines with the greater amount of motion of the strings in that position and the increased bass response to make for a signal that can overpower a clean channel easily. I find it easier getting a good sound from the bridge, so in a two HB guitar always set the neck to sound good and then adjust the bridge as necessary to balance things. When you get everything working though, you're rewarded with a smokey/throaty neck position sound that works great for leads and isn't overpoweringly bassy.

With neck pickups in general I think they sound better for lead stuff once you start moving further up the neck. Around and past the 12th fret with both 'buckers and singles you'll hear a more fluid/bubbly sound playing up high.
                          This is what I was getting at. 'm looking to replace the neck pick up on my SG with a P90. The standard Tele neck p/u ( as I recall) is very good for rhythm in different styles, but many have replaced those with a HB

Comment

Originally posted by Gold star View Post
                            This is what I was getting at. 'm looking to replace the neck pick up on my SG with a P90. The standard Tele neck p/u ( as I recall) is very good for rhythm in different styles, but many have replaced those with a HB
                            P90 neck tone rocks!
                            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I am not so sure a P90 with the tone rolled down has that sound. It has a cool sound, but it isn't quite that sound.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Gold star View Post
                                For years I believed itt was the neck pick up..tone rolled down
                                It is one of those tones that has got a million different stories behind it. And tbh, because it really isn't that hard to achieve, I think it's easy for people to BS it and then that BS spreads.

Personally I always heard it was the middle position with the neck tone all the way down and the bridge tone at about half way.
                                I haven't read Clapton's book but apparently he gives the specific details within that.

But tbh there are many roads to the Woman Tone, and enough variables at play that the one Clapton took probably won't produce the exact same results depending on your amp/guitar/pickup/pot.
                                Originally posted by jcthejester13
                                Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Working...
                                X