Tube Screamer options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Screamer options

Is there anything better than an Ibanez Tube Screamer? The TS is the original but what other options come to mind that are well worth a look at?
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Re: Tube Screamer options

Well... the SD 805 since we’re in this forum quiet and with EQ.

Comment

Take a look at the Decibel 11 Dirtclod it does a great TS808 with more EQ and also a chip to diode mode (MXR D+, DOD 250) all analog signal path with digital switching and midi

Comment

There are literally 100s of good TS clones in the market -EVERY pedal company makes one -and they are often TS green so you can identify them as such

I'm not sure most people make a "better" one -but rather one with different or more features like EQ or with more gain or a better Signal to Noise ratio which any of which is better for a certain players -especially with pedal boards and extensive pedal signal chains.

But let's be honest, the original was good enough for the greatest players -so you really can't lose on whatever you pick.

I'd personally prefer a TS clone with more EQ power -especially the ability to shape the mid hump on the classic TS circuit.

even building your own is easy.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
          +1
          I’ve got an 805 and I’d recommended it in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
            Add another vote the the 805. I bought mine totally on a whim. I saw one used for under $100 on Craigslist, and I’d been curious. When I got it home and tried it out I was really impressed. It far exceeded my expectations. The three band eq is huge, and honestly it out performed my TS5 in every way. I haven’t used my original TS since getting this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The 805 has a bigger gain range than the TS, and has a 3 band active EQ. That being said, I was able to clone my 808, TS7, TS5, BYOC Overdrive II, and Bad Monkey pedals with it. There is no reason these days to get a stock TS, unless money or availability comes into it. You can read more about it in this blog I wrote.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If you want a tube screamer, get a tube screamer. Most green overdrive pedals don’t really sound like a Tube Screamer because they all “correct” issues with the original. Dave says he cloned a bunch with the 805, but a simple 3 knob Tube Screamer is just easy and sounds great.

Now if you want a more versatile TS, the 805 and Wampler Clarksdale are great choices.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

There is a Green Overdrive of some sort to suite every preference out there.

I say get a TS9 just to understand the baseline from which all others spring. That said - if I had to live my life over I'd get a TS9 DX. Or an 805.

Here is an entire thread of considerations: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...Green+Screamer
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

For me, the thing I never liked about the TS is that I never found it to be a very good standalone overdrive. The 805 on the other hand is a great overdrive all on its own, plus you can use it to boost an already overdriven amp just like any other TS pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                      For me, the thing I never liked about the TS is that I never found it to be a very good standalone overdrive. The 805 on the other hand is a great overdrive all on its own, plus you can use it to boost an already overdriven amp just like any other TS pedal.
                      I havent gotten one yet but I've heard an overwhelmingly large amount of good things about the horizon overdrive pedal. I'm not sure if youd classify it as a tube screamer clone. Can be used to tighten up high gain, give extra boost, add some color, and has a nice noise gate included. Could be worth looking into. Theres plenty of YouTube demos on it.

I'm hoping to get one next month.

Comment

I would definitely check out the Duncan 805. I loved using it with my Peavey 6505+. The Maxon OD808 is another pedal to try.

Comment

I really wanted to like the Duncan 805 I had because it had a real nice clean, tight, modern character that my TS808 does not have. It has more range in the gain knob as well, and well, the 3-band EQ is the selling feature. It would've been the perfect tube screamer for me if it had just a little more output volume. With the output level cranked, the TS808 was louder, and was better (IMO) for boosting an amplifier. The 805 IME just didn't have enough juice to reach unity gain with hot pickups. I have the same problem with the Boss SD-1. Then again, that was just my experience.

These days, I'm digging the cheapie TC Electronic El Mocambo better than my TS808. I still dig the TS808, but the Mocambo has just a little cleaner/clearer midrange and a tighter low-end.

Comment

Tube Screamer options

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                            I really wanted to like the Duncan 805 I had because it had a real nice clean, tight, modern character that my TS808 does not have. It has more range in the gain knob as well, and well, the 3-band EQ is the selling feature. It would've been the perfect tube screamer for me if it had just a little more output volume. With the output level cranked, the TS808 was louder, and was better (IMO) for boosting an amplifier. The 805 IME just didn't have enough juice to reach unity gain with hot pickups. I have the same problem with the Boss SD-1. Then again, that was just my experience.

These days, I'm digging the cheapie TC Electronic El Mocambo better than my TS808. I still dig the TS808, but the Mocambo has just a little cleaner/clearer midrange and a tighter low-end.
                            I’m surprised you had this experience. My pickups are typically in the 14-15k ranges. (Yes I know resistance isn’t the absolute measure of output but it’s all I have to reference. )
                            And while not SUPER hot they are plenty hot. And I have had no issues with matching volumes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                              I’m surprised you had this experience. My pickups are typically in the 14-15k ranges. (Yes I know resistance isn’t the absolute measure of output but it’s all I have to reference. )
                              And while not SUPER hot they are plenty hot. And I have had no issues with matching volumes.
                              Well, to be fair, I was using Black Winters back then. That pickup is a monster. But with any pickup, a standard 808 has more output than an 805, which I think is kind of weird considering the 805 is more modern. I don't mean to demerit that pedal, though. The 805 is great... it just has slightly less output than a regular Tube Screamer, so if you're going to use it for that, it should be known that it isn't quite as hot.
                              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 12-03-2019, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X