Tube Screamer options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tube Screamer options

I have a TS-7 with the "hot" switch on it that I like. Of course, spending only $20 on it at a yard sale contributes to the liking. But it gets into distortion territory with the hot switch on.
    I also have a GFS Twin Boost (or Overdrive, can't recall the actual name) that's supposed to be based on the TS-808 and TS-9. Either side sounds good and both combined definitely do distortion.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I think we're going to need a bigger thread.

Comment

I also recommend the 805. Decent amount of gain on tap and the 3-Band EQ really make it versatile. Personally, I use it as a controlled mid boost and not really a pure overdrive, but it suits my needs well. Only thing I don't like about it is that the output/level knob could have a bit more for me personally, but otherwise, it's fantastic.

Comment

Some green pedals have a distinct personality, some have multiple personality, some are chameleons, and some are not even green!

Something for everyone. My Stamps is actually purple.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I use and love the ehx East River drive. It's Wonderful and less than half the price of any real Ibanez or maxons.
            Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
              I use and love the ehx East River drive. It's Wonderful and less than half the price of any real Ibanez or maxons.
              That IS a good one.

Comment

The Rast River is on my radar. On the opposite end of the price range, Ive been eyeing the JHS Bonsai which is several TSs in one small box.
                1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                Jackson Soloist 7 string
                ESP LTD M-400
                Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
                  The Rast River is on my radar. On the opposite end of the price range, Ive been eyeing the JHS Bonsai which is several TSs in one small box.
                  When I didn’t know which flavor of Muff would be my favorite I got the Muffuletta, played with all then I bought the actual pedal for the flavor I liked. You could do something similar with the Bonsai.

Comment

For fuzz I was looking at the Muffuletta also, nut the Flat Iron fuzz and Wampler Fuzztration are in the running also.
                    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                    Jackson Soloist 7 string
                    ESP LTD M-400
                    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Yeah "better" is a tricky thing to answer because the original TS had such it's own character to it IMO (and still does), I still love the way it sounds and functions. And I still bust it out in the studio for certain parts when I want that specific tone but I think honestly now I can get my 805 to give me everything I'm looking for, mostly, and that three band EQ makes all the difference. Actually I still sometimes use a TS-7 too when recording, I find it pairs really well with lower wattage tube amps especially with the Hot switch engaged.

Comment

Originally posted by RevDoom73 View Post
                        Yeah "better" is a tricky thing to answer because the original TS had such it's own character to it IMO (and still does), I still love the way it sounds and functions. And I still bust it out in the studio for certain parts when I want that specific tone but I think honestly now I can get my 805 to give me everything I'm looking for, mostly, and that three band EQ makes all the difference. Actually I still sometimes use a TS-7 too when recording, I find it pairs really well with lower wattage tube amps especially with the Hot switch engaged.
                        That TS-7 hot switch is something. I sold mine but I do miss it sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                          That TS-7 hot switch is something. I sold mine but I do miss it sometimes.
                          Indeed it is. This is why I'd pick it over any Ibanez TS pedal if I had to choose.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You might want to take a look at the Cusack Music Screamer Overdrive.

Description:
                            The Cusack Screamer is a “clean” overdrive, but has about twice the gain of a typical Tube Screamer. Many TS style pedals come off as “mid-rangey” or “muddy”, making them easy to get lost in a mix. This is where the Screamer offers much more clarity than a typical overdrive. It has been meticulously thought out, and tweaked for maximum tonal definition. You can actually hear the individual notes of complex chords that would normally be buried. Many players consider the Cusack Screamer to be the best option in a crowded field for good reason!

Features:
                            -Level (volume)
                            -Drive (gain)
                            -Tone
                            -3-way clipping toggle (left: silicon, center: asymmetrical LED, right: Schottky).

Comment

3 band active EQ is a really great thing in a TS-style pedal. It is hard to get used to a single tone knob.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                                The 805 has a bigger gain range than the TS, and has a 3 band active EQ. That being said, I was able to clone my 808, TS7, TS5, BYOC Overdrive II, and Bad Monkey pedals with it. There is no reason these days to get a stock TS, unless money or availability comes into it. You can read more about it in this blog I wrote.
                                Hey Dave - make a vid doing that!
                                Originally posted by Bad City
                                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                                X