Cabinets and Casters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabinets and Casters

Any of you pop off your cabinet casters when you play ?
    When I set up my 4x12 Marshall when I bought it, it did not have casters when I set up my tones. Than I added Ernie Ball casters for transport. took them off and added nice 3 inch casters that r excellent for rolling that thing around. But I always noticed something different with my tone that can't be nailed down from my head or pedalboard. Popped the casters off and bam.... that was it.

Re: Cabinets and Casters

Yes, I remove castors for playing. In my experience they do affect the tone, usually in a not good way.

Comment

Instead I tip my cabinet on it's side and it accomplishes the same thing (coupling the bass to the floor) without the hassle.

on a slant cab -especially a Marshall TV style I usually take them off in the studio, but not live.

Some stages and floors are better with isolation pads or casters (de-coupling) and some are better with being agains the floor -so it's not an always or never thing.
      Last edited by NegativeEase; 12-01-2019, 08:11 PM.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I actually like to get my 2x12 Marshall combo off the floor. It tightens up the low end. It’s too boomy on the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
          I actually like to get my 2x12 Marshall combo off the floor. It tightens up the low end. It’s too boomy on the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Yep, it's ALL floor/stage style dependent -my old studio had a totally floated 3/4 oak suspended 1" above slab floor -and decoupling the cabinets further by keeping the casters on was usually the way to go.

It's all depending on the floor and the cab together... there is no right or best way without testing both variables.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
            on a slant cab -especially a Marshall TV style I usually take them off in the studio, but not live.
            I don't ever take them off, but I would probably especially leave them on when recording it to decouple the cab off the floor and avoid phase-y-ness.
            Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 12-04-2019, 05:08 PM.

Comment

This is interesting... I've never taken mine off as I use my Mesa Recto 4x12 for playing live and it would be AWFUL to have to constantly carry it, but might be worth experimenting with in the studio (I go direct live, so not really worth experimenting there).

Comment

OMG - stage/floor variation caused me to make the call that EVERYTHING on stage goes direct from now on!!!!!!
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                X