banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duncan Design Pickup Rings (Hard to find!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Design Pickup Rings (Hard to find!)

I have a Schecter Diamond Series Tribal Devil that I bought back around 2000. The pickups are Duncan Design HB103N and HB103B. The plastic has become brittle and both rings are now cracked. I cannot find any pickup rings that fit these.

Outside: 88mm x 44mm
    Inside: 70mm x 37mm
    Screws Holes: 82mm x 38mm
    Pickup Screws: 78mm
    Neck Thickness: 2.5mm
    Bridge Thickness: 5mm

Does anyone know where to find pickup rings that fit Duncan Design pickups? Maybe a Korean site somewhere? The closest rings I have found are 1-2mm off or too thick on the border to fit between the pickup and the neck.

My last resort is to fill and drill, but I would prefer to keep the guitar as original as possible. Or possibly fabricating my own out of stainless or aluminum. Easier to buy though.

Thanks!

Re: Duncan Design Pickup Rings (Hard to find!)

My understanding is there is two kinds of mounting rings that guitars go with.
    curved
    and flat
    I figure if for instance there was others seymour duncan would have other triple shot mounting ring models out.

curved and flat can both be found from China off of ebay. DSEBUY I used to get mine off of in whole sale. $12 for 20 sets of curved a few years ago and he does free shipping. He's still doing selling tons of stuff as it's one of those larger sellers with over 100,000 stars. My luck back when I used to work on guitars curved mounting rings seemed to fit more guitars but I'm sure someone else on here will shed more light on the subject than just my suggestion alone.

With import mounting rings you won't have to force a slightly larger screw hole the pickups spring and all are on either. Yet USA made pickups such as Seymour Duncan will fit them too.

Comment

There are no official "Duncan Designed" pickup rings. Are your rings flat on the bottom or curved? Are the rings level or angled from back to front?

Where are you located?

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

As stated here, I am not aware of specific rings for any DD pickups. I'd probably try to contact Schecter directly, and see if they have any NOS parts for that specific guitar. What is different with those rings compared to commercially available ones?
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I would contact Schecter if you need an absolutely identical replacement. It is possible (but not certain) that they will be able to help you. Otherwise, I would think that you can simply ask various retailers for measurements off of their metric rings.

Also, pickup rings can often be repaired with a little dab of epoxy or something similar.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

If you're located in the U.S., I'm happy to measure the various rings I have here to see if I can find something that matches, but you have to answer the questions I posted.

"Are your rings flat on the bottom or curved? Are the rings level or angled from back to front?"

Comment

There's nothing unique about the size of DD pups. You are having a problem with the spacing of the mounting holes in the rings. There certainly are lots of different spacings available so I understand your frustration.

There are many rings available with mounting hole spacing to fit your Schecter guitar. You just need to check the hole spacing of the rings you order. The rest of the dimensions of the ring will be fine.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

The rings are completely flat. No curve, no taper. The Neck is 2.5mm high and the Bridge is 5mm high. I could get away with both of them being 2.5mm high if need be.

I've been communicating with Schecter. They directed me to a tapered ring set on allparts. Apart from being obviously wrong due to the taper, the measurements were way off. My rings have 70mmx37mm cutouts. Those rings were 70.5mmx40mm. They were alsos 91.39mmx46mm on the outside, where mine are 88mmx44mm. The hole pattern wasn't even close. They mentioned that an Epiphone ring set might be closer, but those were all tapered.

I've yet to find any pickup rings that fit the hole pattern on this guitar. The closest I've found were still 2mm off width wise. Even though that's getting close, the cutout was still too big height wise.

It doesn't make sense, but I'm starting to think replacements don't exist even though they look very standard without measuring them. Added still, the pickups themselves seem to have been a popular model. If true, my choices are to fill and re-drill the holes or actually manufacture my own pickup rings, which seems like it should be unnecessary.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	guitar3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	5817741

Comment

where are you located...in the U.S.?

Comment

Yes, I'm in the US, Michigan.

Comment

The differences in outer and inside dimensions are minimal. Are you sure you are unwilling to accept such a small difference?

And what is your objection to the top being angled instead of flat? If the Epi rings are essentially the same size but tapered instead of being flat it seems like a good choice to me. No filling and re-drilling required.

Comment

You know that there are many different size rings available on Amazon? And you could probably buy 40 of them in 5 or 6 sizes (including the ones that would fit your guitar) for less than it would cost to get one set of brand name replacements.

Comment

I might be getting closer. Seymour Duncan support responded to me and said my pickups looked to be designed after the HB-105. I was given some imperial measurements for those pickups and they converted to 69.95x38.1mm with the pickup mount holes being 77.47mm apart. This is within a mm of what I have. Now I'm on the lookout for HB-105 pickup rings.

Here are some answers to the new posts above:

The difference seems minimal, but 2mm off when your screw is only 2mm wide means the screw goes in at a substantial angle. My option here is to glue a toothpick in the existing hole and re-drill to keep the screw strait. It's an option, but not my first choice.

I have no objections to angled or flat covers, plus I could simply sand the angle off. However, Epi rings don't have the same hole pattern either. Sorry for mentioning the suggestion, but not specifically mentioning why those specific covers don't work.

I have bought a number of rings already on amazon. Some for Epiphone, which were slanted. Some that simply look right, but didn't measure up. No luck so far. I'm not concerned about brand, just function. I have a few more on their way now, so yes, this is one of the paths I'm following towards a resolution. It the shot in the dark path at this point.

Comment

Can you show us a good picture of the damage to the stock rings? They might be repairable.
                              Originally posted by LesStrat
                              Yogi Berra was correct.
                              Originally posted by JOLLY
                              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X