Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring advice Stack Plus and Bucker with SSwitch

Hi,
    First post so hello to anyone reading this.

Was after a bit of advice for wiring my Partscaster wiring if possible.

Ive bought a new STK7 for the Neck and middle and a JB Trembucker for the Bridge.

Before I got the pickups I put together the wiring as per attached image, which is from a UK based parts supplier. He did a vid here about it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HSS-Superstrat-wiring-diagram.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	5853165

It uses a 5 way switch and splits the Humbucker and lets the single coils see 250K/0.47 and the humbucker see 500k/0.22
    Seemed a good idea at the time....
    But then I decided to go noiseless ... eek.. new territory!

At present I have taken the Neck and Middle's WHITE wire to the HOT leads on the switch, the black/bare to Ground, and isolated the two red pickup leads.
    I have run the BRIDGE TremB 's WHITE/RED to the Switch and BLACK to the Switch as per the diagram, and the green/bare to Ground.

Ive not seen smoke coming out of her yet..... and it actually sounds ok.... but ive completely winged it - and wanted to check the correct wiring approach for this setup so I can sort it correctly if required.

Thanks very much for the valuable info.
    cheers, Airbag.
    Last edited by airbag; 12-02-2019, 12:51 PM.

Re: Wiring advice Stack Plus and Bucker with SSwitch

Welcome to the forum. I'll see if I can help. God that kid put me to sleep. There was few ways he could improve his technique but glad to see someone with the same soldering iron as me. However that kids graphics as it was very step by step I admire his dedication.

The changes I'd make are as follows since you're going noiseless for the middle and

personally I'd go with 47nf (0.047uf) on the humbucker , 22nf (0.022uf) on the single coils or try to just find something in between like a 33nf capacitor. The end diagram seems wrong. But capacitors are preference. I like 22nf capacitors for my humbuckers. The rule of thumb is even at 10 a capacitor filters out frequencies so the smaller the capacitor the brighter the guitar. Plus the smaller the capacitor the less frequencies you cut as you turn it down to 0 (fully on)

the closest thing to a big change I'd make is
    not soldering the red/white coilsplit wires to the switch. Tape them off
    Why we're doing this is additional volume more than anything. Plus if you did wire up the autosplit mod which it's going for with a noiseless single coil ...well 3 coils would produce hum

as far as the 470k resistor in position 2 I'm sure there is a way to modify the circuit so you get a bit more brightness and volume out of position 2. My 2 cents.

correct me if I'm wrong but the red wire is the STK7 pickups coilsplit wires? The newer ones seem to have red/white wires soldered together

Comment

shadowfire90 cheers for the reply... and for making it through the vid - good work.

I worked this up to illustrate what I have at present - as mentioned the 4wire pickups have confused me, so wanted to know how they integrated into the setup.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_1547.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	5817735

The coil-split on the Trembucker/Middle

Guitar has a Maple neck and S-ash body.
      Ive fitted a treble bleed as well.

Comment

The easiest approach would be to add either a spin a split mod if you're not a fan of both tone controls as you could re-wire one tone control to be a master tone control. For sure I'd use a 33nf tone capacitor for this instead but that's nitpicking the capacitor value 22nf should be just fine. Some people actually prefer the master volume on a JB to be 250k for some reason too if they find it's too bright or loud. Anyways i'm rambling on.

one idea I have, i'm not 100% sure if it would work would be to add the red wire from your middle pickup assuming that's the coilsplit wire on your STK7 with the red/white wire from the JB. This should give you a similar tone to the 2nd position on your stat. If you're after more volume and brightness though I'd advise against the 2nd position having the "autosplit" mod , so to get rid of it just de-solder the red/white wires from the JB from the top right of the super 5 way. Considering the STK-7 is in the noiseless family it might be a fun thing to try as it's very easily reversible.

with any 4 wire pickup the best place for inspiration is humbucker wiring diagrams or telecaster if there isn't a strat setup similar to what you have.

Comment

Working...
        X