Clear All

• Les paul pickups

Antiquity or pearly gates antiquity in a les paul

Re: Les paul pickups

I have Pearly Gates in mine.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Of those two choices, I’ve only used the PG’s. I had them in a Studio, and they were a huge upgrade over the stock Gibson’s. Great tone, they sounded like one would expect a Les Paul to sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What is your end game? What kind of music are you playing? Gibson puts a variety of pickups in Les Paul's from '57s to 498Ts to MHS. All different pickups, there are a lot of voices to the Les Paul line. Everything mentioned so far are great pickups but it depends on what type of tone you are trying to capture.

Comment

Never personally played Antiquities. Huge Pearly Gates fan if we are going PAF style.

But as mentioned, what do you want to DO with this Les Paul???? And of course, the specific guitar could request something else on it's own. Super Dark might call for Jazz, or Demon, or Full Shred. Super Bright might want A2P's, etc...

And then there is the amp.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

If you play a style that depends on touch-sensitivity (you left what kind of music and amp out of your question), then I'd go with the Antiquities, which are about the most touch-sensitive pickups you can have in an LP.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Daver335 View Post
              Antiquity or pearly gates antiquity in a les paul
              I have both. They’re similar enough you can’t go wrong. The Antiquities are a little less hot, a bit more midrange, a bit more touch sensitive. The Custom Shop Pearlies are a little more raw, more growl, hotter but not gainier if that makes sense. They are more muscular.

Both are vintage unpotted PAFs. You can get the Pearlies in double creme if that matters. Pull the trigger on either set and you’ll be happy.

I prefer the Antiquities slightly in my Traditional. But only slightly. I’m glad I have 2 Les Pauls so I don’t have to choose.

Comment

two of my favorite sets of buckers!

Comment

Antiquities for sweet, PGs for spicy.

Both great. It's a matter of taste.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                  X