Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Telecaster is the ONLY electric guitar you need

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    Well then, Dave, I guess you just can't do it. I respect your choice to go Cello.

Mike Stern could....
    But I'd be one badass experimental cellist! BTW, Mike Stern sucks at cello.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
      I always liked Teles. I play a Parker, but it kind of sounds like a Tele.

But here’s my “Tele” [emoji2] It’s built kind of like a Les Paul. Thick swamp ash body with a carved maple top and a set neck. Still sounds like a Tele. Scale length has a lot to do with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      That guitar looks like it has great upper fret access . . . which disqualifies it from being a telecaster immediately.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        Fixed
        Sometimes you need to bring a lawyer to write a forum post.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          I might be able to hang with a Tele with modifications. I need a tummy cut. forearm cut, stratty bridge, and 2 humbuckers. So it can be done for me. But by that point, no need to stick with a Tele.

IMHO a tele stops being a tele when the bridge and bridge pickup are replaced. I think the neck pickup is fair game.

It’s ok if you don’t like a tele

Comment

I would try to argue that teles sound like nasally weak beer, but this guy has proved me wrong.
            But Perhaps the pickups helped the tone immensely.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191204-130656.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	5817742
            Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Well, considering that the first tool made commercially still works 75 years later... I support.

Honestly, a Tele can do anything just like most guitars -because the pickup selection is most of the equation.

Also, if you want to get rid of the snappy bright attack further go for a rosewood neck and modern bridge with individual saddles.

Once you do these 4 things....(pick a different pickups, rosewood neck, and modern bridge and saddles) the Tele can pretty much do whatever you want without the distinction of a classic Tele.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
                I would try to argue that teles sound like nasally weak beer, but this guy has proved me wrong.
                But Perhaps the pickups helped the tone immensely.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]102341[/ATTACH]
                Tele's can sound heavy as hell. A lot of the Rage Against the Machine catalog was recorded with a tele.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                  Tele's can sound heavy as hell. A lot of the Rage Against the Machine catalog was recorded with a tele.
                  Well yeah, but that's no standard tele or a vintage one like the original post. Any guitar can sound heavy if you hack wood out of it, and put certain pickups in it and a different bridge that can intonate better, a 12" radius and big frets.

I would argue that it IS true of a Stratocaster, that it can "do anything" since they come standard with a tremolo, and you don't need to hack wood out to put humbuckers, just a new pickguard.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
                    Well yeah, but that's no standard tele or a vintage one like the original post. Any guitar can sound heavy if you hack wood out of it, and put certain pickups in it and a different bridge that can intonate better, a 12" radius and big frets.

I would argue that it IS true of a Stratocaster, that it can "do anything" since they come standard with a tremolo, and you don't need to hack wood out to put humbuckers, just a new pickguard.

nah. Humbuckers are overrated. You can sound damn heavy with SC's as well.

BTW: One of the heaviest tones I've gotten out of guitar is my birch strat with Twangbanger bridge.
                    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                      nah. Humbuckers are overrated. You can sound damn heavy with SC's as well.

BTW: One of the heaviest tones I've gotten out of guitar is my birch strat with Twangbanger bridge.
                      I agree 100% that they can be "heavy" but you're not getting the Slipknot tone with a twangbanger. or an SSL-1

Comment

The Tele is my personal favorite platform for an electric guitar, period. Even though I was raised on Strats.

HH, Mini-hums, singles, noiseless stuff, it all sounds good on a Tele build to me. Mahogany, Ash, alder... nothing like a big fat chunk of wood.

Comment

There was that other early heavy band that recorded a bunch with Tele. What was their name? Led something....

Funny/sad/true story. The Tap on one of my guitars was wired backwards, so the knob "in/down" was split. Played a bunch with it. One quote "Man - this pickup is crunchy as hell! What is it?!?!?!?" Only complaint was the hum when I wasn't playing, and that wasn't usually too bad. Duh?!?!?!

Point being- I could have used a Tele.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Both of my Teles will melt your face. One has a Hotrails the other has a Super Distortion in the bridge.

Comment

All you need is a hender telencecastar

Comment

A Telecaster is the ONLY electric guitar you need

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
                                Well yeah, but that's no standard tele or a vintage one like the original post.
                                Killing in the name of was recorded with his “sendero luminoso” guitar, a standard, unmoded tele.

In action:

Comment

Working...
                                X