A Telecaster is the ONLY electric guitar you need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Telecaster is the ONLY electric guitar you need

The great thing about Teles is that you can use tiny amounts of gain and still sound really aggressive.
    That doesn't quite happen with an LP or a Strat.

A Tele is not the only guitar I'd like to have, but if I had to, I could live with those two single coils.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Recently I assembled a Tele from cheap parts I collected (probably made in the people's republic but what isn't these days?) Total budget $160 so far for my first tele.

The purpose of the project was to learn about building guitars; but also to have a simple, durable beater to thrash, strum and make poses.

Right away I found myself playing everything I normally play which was "everything but country," but thanks to that awkward bridge now I can play country licks, too!

I still love my G&L Legacy and Vox Virage custom, and I miss my Ibanez George Benson. Yet I feel like a properly equipped tele could make them all slightly redundant.

It's the foolproof simplicity of the guitar that keeps me PLAYING, instead of worrying about pickup settings or bridge adjustments. Maybe it's the limitations of a telecaster that make it so pure.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
        I bang my wrist on the horn

You should consider lubricant then.
        'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
          I agree 100% that they can be "heavy" but you're not getting the Slipknot tone with a twangbanger. or an SSL-1
          Surely, recreating others heavy tone is entirely different thing for just dialing heaviest you can come up with.
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	51D4C6E2-560A-4FA6-A38E-50B8E960FC0A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	5817745

This can be true but do you know a carpenter that only has one hammer?

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
              Well yeah, but that's no standard tele or a vintage one like the original post. Any guitar can sound heavy if you hack wood out of it, and put certain pickups in it and a different bridge that can intonate better, a 12" radius and big frets.

I would argue that it IS true of a Stratocaster, that it can "do anything" since they come standard with a tremolo, and you don't need to hack wood out to put humbuckers, just a new pickguard.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
              Tom Morello used a stock 1982 Fender telecaster. No different bridge, no different pickups, no hacking wood out of it.

"This is my main drop D tuning guitar for my entire career. Inexpensive, made in the USA Telecaster. I traded my roommate (he was in a band called Liquid Jesus). He needed a Marshall head and I needed a guitar that I could tune down, play grunge-worthy heavy riffs with. And so the exchange was made, and this is in a song with all the Rage [Against The Machine], Audioslave, Street Sweeper [Social Club], The Nightwatchman songs that are in drop D tuning. Killing in the Name, Freedom, Testify, all those that are in drop D, played and written with the band on this."
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra1957 View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]102347[/ATTACH]

Brian May?
                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Funnily enough, Black Friday got me and I just purchased this bad boy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 10.28.48 AM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	5817746

Thought I'd go traditional - maple neck, butterscotch finish. Arrived last night and it's really nice. Plenty of sustain, fit and finish was good (though with a slight neck pocket gap), very smooth and surprising chunky neck,pickups really surprised me.

I can see why people consider it something you can have as you're one and only, but as a 3 x strat owner, I think they're on par.
                  'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Comment

They may the the only one I need, but to me they are like Ruger DA revolvers. They work well, they get the job done, but they are ugly AF.

That's just my opinion of course
                    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      Actually, it is inferior to any other pickup ever made.
                      Not by the way it sounds when Bill Frissell is playing it.

A Telecaster isn't for everyone. A classic Telecaster with the traditional single coil pickups, not a humbucker, Strat neck pickup, P90, or any other pickup type Telecaster is not a guitar to be taken lightly. You get out of it what you put into it. It is the most responsive guitar I have ever played. The people who agree that it is among the most versatile of guitars, have learned to play them. In comparison to a Strat, where I sit there and switch pickups all day, I us my fingers and hands to more or less massage tones from my Telecaster. All I own and play are Telecasters.

The neck pickup? One of my most favorite guitar pickups.

-Butch

Comment

Mike Stern
                        Jim Campilongo
                        Robben Ford uses his 1960 Tele almost exclusively these days.
                        -Butch

Comment

Why would you need more than one hammer? You can only swing one at a time...
                          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

^ horses for courses. Don't use a sledge to mount picture nails, nor a ball pein hammer to drive stakes in with.

Using the typical 'girlfriend reasoning' here isn't going to help you.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch Snyder View Post
                              Not by the way it sounds when Bill Frissell is playing it.

A Telecaster isn't for everyone. A classic Telecaster with the traditional single coil pickups, not a humbucker, Strat neck pickup, P90, or any other pickup type Telecaster is not a guitar to be taken lightly. You get out of it what you put into it. It is the most responsive guitar I have ever played. The people who agree that it is among the most versatile of guitars, have learned to play them. In comparison to a Strat, where I sit there and switch pickups all day, I us my fingers and hands to more or less massage tones from my Telecaster. All I own and play are Telecasters.

The neck pickup? One of my most favorite guitar pickups.

https://youtu.be/fnDZ7yb5g-c
                              Originally posted by Butch Snyder View Post
                              Mike Stern
                              Jim Campilongo
                              Robben Ford uses his 1960 Tele almost exclusively these days.
                              And let’s not forget Ted Greene and Ed Bickert!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                                Don't use a sledge to mount picture nails
                                Depends how fast you want the job done. :P
                                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                                X