Coil Split WLH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil Split WLH

I had a Les Paul years ago with coil splits. I really liked and used the one in the neck a good bit. I never found a use for it in the bridge though. My main SG that I play now has a WLH neck and Custom bridge. I would like to split the neck with a push/pull volume like my Les Paul was. I don't know much about pots though, I don't even know what comes stock. Since I'm changing it what would be the best to put back in? I play blues, classic rock, some 80s metal, but will be mainly playing clean stuff with it split. Also will the same one's that fit in a Les Paul fit in the narrow SG?

Re: Coil Split WLH

You can buy push/push or push/pull 500k pots. One of them can split both pickups if that is the way you like to work (that's what I do).
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The cts pots with the push pull should fit better than the normal mini style.

The 0228 ones (500k) split short should be what you want.

If your pickup has 4 conductor leads the red and white will be taped off. Put the red and white to the center lug off the switch on the back. Then add a short wire to the ground on the side of the pot, It should be the lug closest to the rest of the pot that goes to ground but check it with a meter, I’ve had backwards push pulls before.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191203_003041.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	5817725
        So I guess this is the one that I need. How will it sound with the 500k vs 300k (I guess that's what comes stock)?

Comment

500k will generally have a brighter sound come from the pickups.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by allstarrme View Post
            , I’ve had backwards push pulls before.
            You've HAD them or you WIRED them backwards. In 60 years of playing, and 20 years of buying and wiring hundreds of p/p pots, I have never seen one that was designed "backwards"!
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

It will sound a little bit brighter (but not a lot if replacing a 330k pot) if used as a vol pot. If you use it for a tone pot, you probably won't notice any difference at all.

But DO measure the inside of your control cavity to make sure it will fit.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
              X