Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoothing out the neck binding on a 335

Greetings all.

Hopefully I can describe the issue with my 335 binding clearly. Advice is much appreciated. So, I bought a really nice Warren Haynes 335 about a year ago. It was in great condition with just some tiny cracks in the binding at the fret ends which I’ve seen on a ton of Gibsons. I figured that it needed some moisture so it’s been stored at 45% humidity for about a year when I’m not playing it. I’ve also oiled the fretboard twice during string changes and the rosewood looks fantastic.

Unfortunately, I’m still really noticing the tiny little speed bumps along the binding (at the fret ends) as I move up and down the neck. To me it seems like everything has settled in with proper amount of moisture and that the frets are just fine but the binding has been slightly pushed out at each fret just enough to be felt and be annoying.

Is there a solution here? Can a skilled guitar tech just file down the speed bumps in the binding without much trouble and without hurting the guitars value?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by thunderlung; 12-02-2019, 10:34 PM.

Re: Smoothing out the neck binding on a 335

Nibs! I hate them but to purists they are a necessity. They were shaved away on my 335 and my SG, which made me happy. Nobody asked me about nibs when I sold them but that was before the internet turned everyone into an expert authenticator.
    Curious to hear responses from others on this one...

Comment

I am not completely clear on the problem. Are you saying the binding nibs or the frets pushing out the binding causing humps along the neck?
      -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
      “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
        I am not completely clear on the problem. Are you saying the binding nibs or the frets pushing out the binding causing humps along the neck?
        Yeah I would like to see a picture of that

I can imagine two things

If the fretboard is shrinking, then it would seem the frets
        Are nudging the binding out
        Oiling the board would cure that
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Nibs or no nibs, the cause/effect is the same.....the OP has fret sprout which is significant enough to be easily felt.

In which case, removing the bumps will mean a partial removal of the finish over the binding. Not only might this be a future wear issue (possible chipping/lifting on the edges) but cosmetically nitro is never perfectly clear.....so you'll get a mottled look where the finish is sanded through.

Not to mention that in other seasons such sprout might reverse......meaning you'll have the reverse issue.

Comment

Some pics and a BETTER explanation of your problem would be very helpful.
            Last edited by GuitarDoc; 12-04-2019, 04:48 AM.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

No nibs. Yes, probably fret sprout. Not uncommon to have very fine "cracks" in the binding under an occasional fret. But not a bump you can feel. In this case, it appears to be much more extreme.
              "I am the kind of guy that only buys 100 watt heads just to play at home. I feel like if an amp can't kill a heard of cattle 100 yards away what is the point of owning it."

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far. Here’s a picture but I’m not sure it will help. The bumps are subtle but I definitely feel them and now I’m grabbing this guitar last when it’s time to play. I’m starting to think that I won’t buy another bound fretboard guitar again. Hopefully I can be a bit more clear about the issue.

I’m lucky enough to have 3 nice Gibsons. All were bought used and all had tiny cracks in the binding at the fret ends. I do my usual and oil the boards properly and store them at 45% humidity. The binding cracks on my other two Gibson are way more noticeable visually but they can’t be felt at all and I never notice them when playing. The 335 is different. Oiling and humidifying doesn’t seem to be eliminating the tiny bumps along the binding. It almost seems like the fretboard binding has permanently deformed just a tick at each fret and is not coming back...if that’s even possible. I’m wondering if there is some sort of routine/safe technique to smooth out, or file down, the tiny binding bumps. Should I oil the board a few more times? I’ve done it twice in the last year.

Thanks again!Click image for larger version

Name:	D93C0165-BE16-41B0-B7BC-13D0F7A0D611.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	5817744
                Last edited by thunderlung; 12-04-2019, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Okay. If you brought your axe to me, I'd use a very fine file to remove the bumps, and then polish the length of the neck smooth.

The wood is moving. The plastic isn't. That's just the way it is.
                  aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

More oiling will not help at all.

As Goober said, it probably just needs some filing and sanding.

It would be a shame not to be playing that 335 because of a problem that can probably be easily fixed.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                    X