Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NGD: The Gold Standard

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
    I wouldn't use '57s for paperweights, freaking hate them. I have the MHSs in my black Paul I love them. They are great for EVERYTHING, Jazz to Hard Rock. I haven't taken the BBs for a roll in the dirt yet. I have been playing the guitar clean through the Excelsior or unplugged. I plan on blowing my hair back this weekend with some gain. I will let you know what I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
      I wouldn't use '57s for paperweights, freaking hate them.
      I have one set in an SG and for whatever reason, they seem to work in that guitar. I can't say I ever cared for them in anything else.

May try an A5 in them one day if I get bored.
      -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
      “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
        I have one set in an SG and for whatever reason, they seem to work in that guitar. I can't say I ever cared for them in anything else. May try an A5 in them one day if I get bored.
        SGs are weird puppies when it comes to pickups. Everyone that plays my SG loves it. When I tell them it has 498T/490 set they always say "Really? I hate 498Ts" go figure.

I had the '57s in my Burst and they were too bright for me. I just couldn't get the "chug" I wanted out of them. If I was playing blues or classic rock they would have worked fine for me. I think we can all agree '57s are not a preferred metal pickup.

Comment

I played an Epiphone with 57s
          Stock from wherever they come from

I forget the model . It was nice though

I remember being super impressed with the pickups through the store Bandit

But like you said, I just may play different material than you

But I remembered the MHS and burstbuckers you had
          And noticed to my ears, the video made them all sound very similar

Cant wait to get your final impressions

Maybe they just need to be adjusted up a bit

My standard JB/JAZZ set likes to be in a particular place

In my Green Gibson
          When I installed my set
          I forgot to fret the strings at the last fret when setting the pickup height

This left the pickups both just a bit too high
          They distort with a nice grind with the the volume full on

They clean up and sound like normal with the volume around 7 or 8

I'm gonna have to move my other pickups to see if all my guitars with this set will do that

It sounds really nice
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

So do the cases for the 2019 les pauls suck? I really love the case for my 90s lp standard. Heavy as hell but super cool and has always seemed sturdy. Unfortunately, the only time i take my guitars out of the house is when going to a lesson (via megabus) and there is no way i'm gonna cart around my lp. It's just too heavy, and the risk of breaking it is too high.

Still, curious about the quality and weight of the newer cases.

Comment

I wouldn't use '57s for paperweights, freaking hate them. I have the MHSs in my black Paul I love them. They are great for EVERYTHING, Jazz to Hard Rock. I haven't taken the BBs for a roll in the dirt yet. I have been playing the guitar clean through the Excelsior or unplugged. I plan on blowing my hair back this weekend with some gain. I will let you know what I think.
              I like that vid - although I don't know how they made it.

I like the sound of all three - but might choose one or the other depending on what I was doing. For hard rock - I'd definitely go with the brighter BB's. I can always turn that down, but I doubt I can brighten up the 57's

Not familiar with the MHS. They seem in the middle, but that might just be the placement. I'd love to know the details on amp, settings for EQ, and guitars used.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Open lane View Post
                So do the cases for the 2019 les pauls suck?
                IMO, yep! All of my other Les Paul cases are nicer than my luggage. These are all ABS plastic like the chainsaw cases just more pleasing to the eye. The stitching on the side is there for no reason seeing they most likely used adhesives to bond the plastic together. I am guessing they are durable as hell and protect the guitar great. However, if I lined up all of my Paul cases you can definitely see a difference in the quality of materials.

Comment

Interesting. You know, if they need to cut corners somewhere, i'd rather see it on the cases than the models themselves, as long as it is still sturdy and functional.

Are they any lighter than the old cases?

Kinda tempted to check out one of those leather(ish) gig bags they now offer... but i don't think it would be worth it for someone in my situation because of the fact 80% of the time i bring a guitar outside of the house i end up having to transport it in a bus's luggage compartment and i don't see myself putting a gibson les paul in that type of situation.

Comment

The fact that their higher end cases are like $400-$600 is hilarious to me. No freakin way.

Comment

498t 490s are good.
                      Your guitar is awesome. Rock it for years.

Auto correct keeps trying to change 489t 490's to roof tops.

Comment

It has Burstbuckers. I took them for a roll in the dirt today and I am in love. They sound freaking amazing. Great touch sensitivity and the sustain is unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by PS412 View Post
                          498t 490s are good.
                          Your guitar is awesome. Rock it for years.

Auto correct keeps trying to change 489t 490's to roof tops.
                          Well to be fair, roof tops are good too. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                            Well to be fair, roof tops are good too. Lol
                            Keep the rain out.

Comment

My rooftops are ceramic

Comment

It has Burstbuckers. I took them for a roll in the dirt today and I am in love. They sound freaking amazing. Great touch sensitivity and the sustain is unbelievable.
                                I rock the ^%$% out of my PG's in a Cadillac.
                                Originally posted by Bad City
                                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                                X