NGD: The Gold Standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: The Gold Standard

I pulled the trigger on a new Gibson Gold Top Standard. The first Les Paul and first decent guitar I played was my friend's older brother's Gold Top, I have wanted one ever since. UPS says it will be delivered to my office on Monday, I am like a kid waiting for Christmas to come. I will post actual pictures when she lands. [UPDATED: WITH ACTUAL PICTURE]
    • Nitro-finished, bound, figured maple top on solid mahogany body
    • Dual Gibson BurstBucker Alnico II pickups, hand-wired controls
    • ABR-1 tune-o-matic bridge, Vintage Deluxe keystone tuners
    • Neck shape: '50s Vintage
    • Fingerboard Material: Rosewood
    • Nut width/material 1.69 in. (43 mm) GraphTech
    • Neck: BurstBucker 1
    • Bridge: BurstBucker 2

Attached Files
    Last edited by Securb; 12-10-2019, 07:21 PM.

Re: NGD: The Gold Standard

Wow, congrats! That would be a major purchase for me, indeed!
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Wow, congrats! That would be a major purchase for me, indeed!
      I don't know about that you have to be patient and wait for the right deal/price to come around.

Comment

I love gold tops. Definitely on my bucket list.

Congrats

Comment

Nice
          Would love to have one with the 60s neck
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
            Nice Would love to have one with the 60s neck
            Once I got used to the 50's neck on my Traditional I could really hear the difference in sustain. There is a trade-off but I think it is minimal the more you play the bigger neck. I don't even feel like it is a thick neck anymore.

Comment

Congrats! I love gold tops myself.

Good pickups! BB #1 is Gibson's best humbucker IMO, and #2 is good.

They look super slick if you convert to the rare factory black plastics that some had back in the '50s. Black pickup rings, switch tip, and a LP Custom guard.

Something odd about them listing a figured top on a model with an opaque finish.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                Congrats! I love gold tops myself.

Good pickups! BB #1 is Gibson's best humbucker IMO, and #2 is good.

They look super slick if you convert to the rare factory black plastics that some had back in the '50s. Black pickup rings, switch tip, and a LP Custom guard.

Something odd about them listing a figured top on a model with an opaque finish.
                I thought the figured top thing was weird as well. It is not like I am going to sand down the top to check. I was wondering about the pickups. Glad to get a good report on them. I have MHS in one Lester and WLHs in the other two. If I do not like the BBs I will probably go back to a 498T/490 set or maybe a Super Distortion/To be named later set.

Comment

Nice! Every guitarist should own a Goldtop at some point in their life. It's just a classic.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

BTW, this is what I am talking about. This is a real '57 GT.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ronny's 57 Goldtop 003-XL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	5817738
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Yogi Berra was correct.
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

It's certainly a nice guitar. For myself, I prefer something with a natural grain.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes! Love it!
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

So in response to Mincer's " That would be a major purchase for me" comment I have to drop a bomb in here that will surely set this thread on fire. The price for the Gibson Gold Top was $399.00 + $24.00 in MA State Tax (I had it shipped to work in MA instead of home in taxfree NH). Not a typo, not $3999.00, three hundred and ninety-nine dollars plus tax for a Gibson Gold Top.

Comment

When, who, where and how???

Comment

Originally posted by Open lane View Post
                              When, who, where and how???
                              I was browsing Les Pauls on Saturday night, not looking to buy but just seeing what is out there and looking at the prices of the Gibsons. I found a Gold Top listed for $399 on Google Shopping. I looked twice no it wasn't an Epiphone; it was a Gibson. I followed the link, and it was a Musician's Friend's eBay listing. It would not let me check out the Gibson it would revert to an entry-level Schecter. I took screenshots of everything sent them to MF and asked for assistance in buying the Les Paul for $399.

They got back to me yesterday and blamed the mistake on a bug in Ebay's code and offered me a $200 gift card. I said, not my problem you take it up with eBay. I said if you can not sell me that guitar you have to sell me something comparable. They insisted they would not sell me a Gibson Gold Top for $399

Long story short after a few back and forth emails and me cutting and pasting the FTC laws in a few emails I got the Gold Top for $399. The kicker is the listed guitar on eBay was a 2016 50's Tribute Studio with a gig bag that is no longer available, so they had to sell me something brand new and more upscale. Hence I now have my 2019 Gold Top Standard for $399 with hardshell case.

Best Cyber Monday ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X