Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NGD: The Gold Standard

Originally posted by Securb View Post
    Getting back to the guitar. So far, I find the bridge Burstbucker to be very bright. More so for my tastes. However, putting the guitar in the middle position and rolling back the tone the guitar sounds phenomenal. I have only played it clean so far. I like to get to know a guitar's tone a bit before I throw a dirtbox on it. I will most likely drag it through the dirt this weekend.

The other thing I noticed is the tone pot is weird. It tapers off treble as you roll it back, sounding great at all points. When the tone is set on 0 is beyond muddy. It sounds like someone threw a moving blanket over the amp.

I love the guitar, but there will be some tweaking before I have it exactly where I want it to be.
    I found the burst buckers the same n my latest purchase. The ones in my Les Paul from last year sound less trebly. I just roll the tone back though, and we’re all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

BB2 can be very, very bright at the bridge in certain guitars. It was downright harsh in one of my Standards.
      I think when the BBs were first made, nearly all LP models used a 300K volume pot and the BBs sound better with that.
      But my Trad has 500K pots - maybe yours does too?
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Sounds like every typical, stock onboard tone control I’ve ever used. 0 is mud, unless you swap to a lower cap value.

In an ideal world from an electronics engineer’s standpoint, you want a pickup bright when the tone is on 10, and dark when it is on 0. Those are your outer extremes on the knob, so they should correspond with your outer extremes tonally. Your normally inhabited zone on the tone knob is somewhere in between, and then you have the ability to go up or down in brightness.

If you prefer to run your pots on 10, then you just need to adjust your amp’s e.q. knobs to remove the high end you don’t like. Also, an outboard e.q. unit is the most powerful and versatile tone shaping effect you can use, yet it’s one of the least used. If people owned them en masse, and really knew how to use them well, the aftermarket pickup industry would certainly take a big hit. You want your guitar’s output to have an excess of high end, because it lets you shape your tone using amp, or outboard, e.q.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Yeah, sorry about that. I was thinking about specs as from the perspective of someone who tinkers with his and his friends guitars more than actually playing.

As such, likely the first thing I’d do is rewire it 50s and throw an A8 in that bridge pup to beef it up. I wonder what value caps they use...

Comment

I always recc factory spec as a starting point. But I also suggest you adjust it yourself from there!

Ahh - BB's with 500k pots....that could easily be the culprit. Set tone to 7.2 and try again!
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              Ahh - BB's with 500k pots....that could easily be the culprit. Set tone to 7.2 and try again!
              My Black Lester has vintage spec MHS pickups, the White and Burst have WLHs, I am seriously thinking about going for broke and putting a set of Black Winters in the Goldtop. They sound great in my buddy's Dean splittail.

Comment

My Black Lester has vintage spec MHS pickups, the White and Burst have WLHs, I am seriously thinking about going for broke and putting a set of Black Winters in the Goldtop. They sound great in my buddy's Dean splittail.
                Well let me know if you feel like selling those BBs cheap lol

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
                  Well let me know if you feel like selling those BBs cheap lol
                  $399 PayPal with free shipping.

Comment

I believe the Probuckers in my Florentine are supposed to be the Epiphone equivalent of those BBs

Mine are fine love them
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

What cable are you using
                      My George Ls cables are super bright
                      All the other 20 ft cables I use are much darker
                      EHD

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                        I believe the Probuckers in my Florentine are supposed to be the Epiphone equivalent of those BBs. Mine are fine love them
                        I love the ProBuckers we were just talking about them in another thread.

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                        What cable are you using
                        My George Ls cables are super bright
                        All the other 20 ft cables I use are much darker
                        I have more cables than common sense, I was using a 20 ft Ernie Ball but I don't think it is the cable. Maybe I will switch and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                          That's cool, I didn't know that Gibson gave a multitool with their guitars.
                          That's why they are sooo expensive.
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                            That's why they are sooo expensive.
                            Not sure about that I got mine at a pretty fair price

Comment

$399 PayPal with free shipping.
                              Wow, then you'd essentially have a FREE guitar.
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

EHD

Comment

Working...
                                X