Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NGD: The Gold Standard

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
    Nice guitar. But you did not ordered a Gibson Les Paul Standard, you ordered a Gibson Les Paul Studio, '50s Tribute. There's no binding on the body, it's the maple top that is not painted and no binding on the neck, and satin finish instead of hi-gloss lacquer. Nevertheless, you got a good price and it's a MIA Gibson Les Paul. I have a 2014 Gibson Les Paul LPJ (similar to your guitar) and it's a wonderful guitar, on par with many LP costing 2-3 times as much.
    Enjoy it ;-)
    The Gibson Les Paul Studio, '50s Tribute was no longer available so they sent me a Gibson Les Paul Standard to fulfill the order. The Standard is the least expensive Goldtop they have at MF. The other Goldtops went for 4K.

Last edited by Securb; 12-04-2019, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Daaaammn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, if that's what happened, I'd immediately hawk the thing to make $1,500 in free money...especially since you already have Les Pauls.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
          Well, if that's what happened, I'd immediately hawk the thing to make $1,500 in free money...especially since you already have Les Pauls.

Comment

Jerk.
            Now that's out of the way, that is awesome. Great story to go along with a great guitar, there is no way you can sell that.
            L.P's kick arse. Enjoy it.

Comment

Burstbuckers are pretty meh tbh

I'd order something from the Duncan custom shop if I were you. Good guitars deserve good pickups to go with.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
              Originally posted by Myaccount876
              Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I love the BB1 as a neck pickup. Didn't like a BB2 at the bridge; found it harsh.
                  But that was a very bright guitar. In a warm sounding axe it might've been perfect.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I like running two BB#1s. I prefer the large gap in tone that you get with an old style imbalance, by using two equal pickups. I don't like the bridge pickup to be too thick.

If a BB#1 and BB#2 set, I might even consider switching them and running the BB#2 very low in the neck position and the BB#1 very high in the bridge position. That puts each pickup where its resonant peak is working with the pickup's position on the guitar, and not against it like you get with a balanced set (which is the norm these days). IMO...at least for the way I like my switch positions to sound (piercing, aggressive bridge for heavy chord work and fat, warm neck for softer picking and/or lyrical parts that just use 1–3 notes at a time).

I did the above with my Epi Bonnamassa Amos V. Those are #2 and #3 pickups, though, not #1 and #2. Really excellent stock pickups for an Epi. After the swap, the bridge position is no longer overly fat, and the neck position fully owns its fatness.
                    Last edited by ItsaBass; 12-05-2019, 12:58 AM.
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Yogi Berra was correct.
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                      I love the BB1 as a neck pickup. Didn't like a BB2 at the bridge; found it harsh.
                      It might not work for my cover stuff. However, it sounds great for my original stuff. I have a loose deep buzzy fuzz tone I use a lot. Think of a 55-gallon drum full of bees.

Comment

Congratulations, that’s a steal. If yours is anything like mine you will love it. Mine is dollar for dollar the best value of any guitar that I own. Mine has the titanium nut, and the axecess neck joint, both of those features are usually found on higher end LP’s.

I bought mine stripped from Stratosphere and I still paid more than you did. All in, including a new Gibson hard case, I’m in to mine for just under a grand. I had some parts, and bought some used, but got it together on a budget. I used D. Allen P-51 Mustang pickups, and a 50’s wiring harness with Bourns pots and PIO caps from Tone-man. It plays great, and sounds great. I like the bigger neck.

Even though I paid a bunch more than you did, I still feel like I’ve got a lot of Les Paul for under $1,000.00. The fret ends were finished nicely, the neck feels great. I can live without the. binding.

Comment

That is beautiful. Now I am really jonesing to get my hands on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                            The Gibson Les Paul Studio, '50s Tribute was no longer available so they sent me a Gibson Les Paul Standard to fulfill the order. The Standard is the least expensive Goldtop they have at MF. The other Goldtops went for 4K.
                            Oh!!!!! That's not how I read you post, sorry. Very lucky man you are :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Holy crap!! I missed this part. You got a Standard for Tribute money!?! That’s like the most incredible guitar deal I’ve ever heard of. I thought you got a Tribute. Very fortuitous.

Comment

i like the bb1/bb2 set for the most part. pretty classic lp type tones that sound good clean and dirty and one of the best sets gibson has had since the old days. still paf type pups arent for everyone.

i dont know about the bb2 neck, bb1 bridge. when i got my lp it had the 57+ in the neck and 57 in the bridge and i was fighting to get it to do what i wanted. i could tame the shrill bridge but wanted a little more guts and the neck was always too thick. they ended up coming out even after swapping them but it was much better balanced to me with the + in the bridge. of course what works for me, works for me. what works for itsa, works for him

Comment

Working...
                                X