banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The key to making a Mark V sound chunky and organic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The key to making a Mark V sound chunky and organic!

I love my Mark V 35 but it took me a while to realise how to dial it in (properly) for my personal tastes anyways. I guess in the beginning I was looking too much at settings that other guys used, especially with the older Mark series amps. One of the things guys like to do to tighten these amps up is almost completely getting rid of the bass in the tonestack. This may work well with an original Mark II C+ but with my Mark V the sound gets too thin and sterile fast.

I've found that I much prefer the sound of the amp with a bit more bass and mids dialed in. It just sounds more organic and juicy that way. I prepared a short video with some settings that I enjoyed on channel 2 with Mark IV mode. All the settings are displayed in the video and no eq was used.

Check it out:

I'm also going to make a more in-depth demo soon with all sorts of styles and guitars to see how versatile this amp really is.... looking forward to that! I'm heavily into Marshall amps right now but it's a lot of fun to go between those british sounding amps and more american amps. Such a different experience.
    Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
    OwnHammer.com

Re: The key to making a Mark V sound chunky and organic!

Always use your ears when dialing in a sound. Other people's settings are good for a start, but don't be afraid to move stuff around. I've heard that Mesa tone stacks in particular have a different interaction than what you might at first expect.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

That definitely sounds juicy and thick without sounding loose or flabby at all, indeed! I'm really GASing for a Mark V 25, but I'm kind of wary of the EL84 power section.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
        Always use your ears when dialing in a sound. Other people's settings are good for a start, but don't be afraid to move stuff around. I've heard that Mesa tone stacks in particular have a different interaction than what you might at first expect.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
        Those are some wise words!

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
        That definitely sounds juicy and thick without sounding loose or flabby at all, indeed! I'm really GASing for a Mark V 25, but I'm kind of wary of the EL84 power section.
        Seriously, don't be afraid of the small tubes. I have amps with EL84's, EL34's and 6L6's. It's not like 'the ones with the EL84's' sound small, not at all! In fact, my H&K Grandmeister Deluxe 40 (4x EL84) has a freakin' HUGE low-end like you wouldn't believe. Having said that, I haven't ever played the Mark V 25. Obviously that one will have a little less headroom than the 35 head.
        Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
        OwnHammer.com

Comment

Working...
        X