Boost and Compressor Before and After Overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boost and Compressor Before and After Overdrive

For reference this is what I had been running high compression only through the clean and it just wasn't cutting it.

Running lighter compression into the OD then my clean made a HUGE difference!
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I was experimenting with putting my clean boost before my overdrive and it has a more saturated tone. I tried my compressor too into my overdrive but that was too noisy.

Comment

I always use the compressor before the overdrive. Granted, I don't use any overdrive more saturated than a Tube Screamer, but it works for me.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          I usually run compression before of or distortion and a clean boost after.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
          That's my preferred method too.

You can use the boost to boost volume this way, and use the compressor to make the distortion sound smoother. Or you can crank the volume of the compressor to get a very thick distortion with a different character.

Boost works well before an OD, where you get a light and heavy distortion thing happening . . . but compression after distortion has never really worked for me.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I originally bought my CS-3 for bass.

I always used a BOSS CS for bass gigs until I got super overkill and started using a rack mount Joe Meek for a couple years (way overkill BTW)

I love the way the bass doesn't "get away" from you on certain notes below Low A with a compressor
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Well I'm back to this setup with my from-scratch DIY Comp/OD builds, leaving the Boost for solo increased volume. Somehow I get a pretty decent saturated tone with this configuration into my 6W tube amp. The Noise Gate is optional depending on the pedal's gain levels. FYI this is an older pic with the last Delay pedal into the amp's FX loop. Currently it's all straight through because I switch between my 6W and 1W amp - which doesn't have an FX loop.

Last edited by Steve Mavronis; 12-04-2019, 06:20 PM.

Comment

And why no compression before distortion?

Distortion IS compression.

I can see how it would work before an Overdrive. But once you slam all the peaks to 11, no need for compression.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Mavronis View Post
                  Well I'm back to this setup with my from-scratch DIY Comp/OD builds, leaving the Boost for solo increased volume. Somehow I get a pretty decent saturated tone with this configuration into my 6W tube amp. The Noise Gate is optional depending on the pedal's gain levels. FYI this is an older pic with the last Delay pedal into the amp's FX loop. Currently it's all straight through because I switch between my 6W and 1W amp - which doesn't have an FX loop.

How'd you make those faceplates? They look great!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                    How'd you make those faceplates? They look great!
                    They were made out of free samples from a company called ID Mark. They are "photosensitive, water processed imaging material for creating custom signs, labels, nameplates, and decals in less than five minutes." The metal stickers were UV etched with my labeling design. My dad at the time worked in electronics and etched my PCB layouts and the faceplates. It was either that or silkscreen or decals.
                    Last edited by Steve Mavronis; 12-05-2019, 11:14 AM.

Comment

I agree, those faceplates look great.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                      X