Boost and Compressor Before and After Overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boost and Compressor Before and After Overdrive

I've been watching some videos about pedal order and their effects. I have DOD Bi-FET Boost 410, DOD 250/Gray Clone, MXR Custom Comp/Dyna Comp Clone pedals. I've never had much love for compressors which seem a little inconsistent with the volume sustain ramping. I've just been using my boost pedal just for that to boost the signal when needed into low watt tube amps. But these videos, particularly this one have me rethinking everything. I'm not sold on the compressor order effects but a boost before an overdrive sounds interesting to explore. The 410 clean boost does have a tone control as well. What do you think about this?

Re: Boost and Compressor Before and After Overdrive

I usually run compression before of or distortion and a clean boost after.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
      I usually run compression before of or distortion and a clean boost after.

Completely agree!

Comment

I find that the compressor actually can open up the really hot pickups that I use, bringing out more character. And the clean boost at the end just takes the already distorted tone and makes it louder for leads.

Comment

Some really good compressors have a make up gain circuit that can replace a clean boost if you keep the clean boost on always for gain structure purposes after -example would be an Origin Cali76 or Greer Lamplighter -also Klon style boosts sound good after a compressor.

I'll run an MXR OD in front and a Klon after a compressor often
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
            Some really good compressors have a make up gain circuit that can replace a clean boost if you keep the clean boost on always for gain structure purposes after -example would be an Origin Cali76 or Greer Lamplighter -also Klon style boosts sound good after a compressor.

I'll run an MXR OD in front and a Klon after a compressor often
            Do you have an opinion on the Keeley's?

Comment

I dont, I have heard really good things of them -that company is no joke.

the key is an output gain circuit thats not noisy once you exceed the normal unity makeup gain.... and that usually requires a pretty good one.

I imagine anything Keely puts out falls into that category.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Just wondering. I heard about them about 15 years ago. I have a 4 knob and a 2 knob compressor, same circuit but the 4 knob has all the pots accessible from the outside. They definitely get the job done. They also retain more low end than my old Boss CS-3, which is still a good pedal for the price.

Comment

Just wondering. I heard about them about 15 years ago. I have a 4 knob and a 2 knob compressor, same circuit but the 4 knob has all the pots accessible from the outside. They definitely get the job done. They also retain more low end than my old Boss CS-3, which is still a good pedal for the price.

The Boss is of course a classic and sounds great -I've used the Boss' compressors for 30 years -but as you probably know -it gets noisy once you start adding a bunch of make up gain over unity. so with a Boss I would use a downstream OD instead of cranking the compressor output past using it like the compressor likes.

Man, just looked -that Keely is priced nice!

Comment

I have the Keeley Comp Plus. Bought it just for cleans but ended up using it as an always-on. It adds a lot of sparkle to everything.

Odd thing though, I've set it up for playing a neck single coil clean, but with the switch set to humbucker profile. Works and sounds so much better than the single coil profile, for some reason.
                    --------------------------------------------------------
                    1973 Aria 551
                    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

I always run a com pressor before anything else. That said, I never use compression with distortion. I also rarely use Overdrive, but I would not compress that either.

So Guitar > comp > Clean

or Guitar > Distortion

But hey - do what you want or what sounds good / works for you.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

And why no compression before distortion?

Comment

I used to use my CS-3 before my distortion years ago ..mostly in a death metal context for those sweet Obituary-type tones I love, but had'nt done a thing with it for years until I recently pulled it from the mothballs again & jammed some solo's with it in front of my Brutus Live head (reverb/delay in the loop) ...tones were sweet & downright awesome (CS-5 -> Boost/overdrive -> amp)
                          "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                          If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I originally bought my CS-3 for bass.

Comment

Thanks for this. Been chasing a particular smooth fluid OD tone and normally do not run a OD. Compressor into the Keeler Push I have through my clean channel got me there after watching this.
                              Here is an example of what I was trying to find in the smooth jazzy fills in this song.
                              Last edited by Ascension; 12-03-2019, 11:31 PM.
                              Guitars
                              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                              X