banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soapbar staple pickups---where are they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soapbar staple pickups---where are they?

Seems like a hard thing to find. Well, either a bit hard or very expensive or both.

SD does custom shop ones that look awesome but are a bit out of my price range.

Anyone have some they like that are nearing a normal-ish price range?

Mostly for classic rock and some grit & grindy.

Re: Soapbar staple pickups---where are they?

I think the originals had weird height adjustment screws which are expensive. They also seem like a product that caters too a niche crowd who might want it to be vintage correct. I believe Alnico Rod P90s are the closest you can get for a reasonable price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am not sure if there are companies making standard production ones.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i doubt youll find any that are relatively cheap. six odd shape adjustable pole piece magnets leads to a more complicated pup than most designs

Comment

AFAIK, Duncan has the market cornered on repros. They're worth every penny, so my advice is just to save up and get them.

If you have the patience to stalk used ones, you can really score. I have three Phat Staples, all purchased used. The gold one was LNIB, and the nickel set was lightly used. Total invested: less than the cost of a single brand new one.
          Last edited by ItsaBass; 12-03-2019, 09:22 PM.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Duncan is not the only maker.
            Fralin also do them seemingly as a replica - and due to them being production line they're much cheaper than Duncan. You can also get the same ballpark tone with any pole magnet p90. Gibson have one rod p90 model (forget the name). The Creamery have a not too dissimilar concept but with the threaded poles like from a Wide Range Humbucker. Zhangbucker also do a rod magnet p90 as well.

Your rout will need to be significantly deeper in the middle than a p90 if you go the full vintage option. The mounting for the vintage version is on diagonal corners, so this is an added complication in some modern routs.
            Given that the majority of the tonal change from p90 to staple is merely in the change to rod magnets (from the typical p90 twin bar), then you have to ask yourself how far you want to go.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
              Duncan is not the only maker.
              Fralin also do them seemingly as a replica - and due to them being production line they're much cheaper than Duncan. You can also get the same ballpark tone with any pole magnet p90. Gibson have one rod p90 model (forget the name). The Creamery have a not too dissimilar concept but with the threaded poles like from a Wide Range Humbucker. Zhangbucker also do a rod magnet p90 as well.

Your rout will need to be significantly deeper in the middle than a p90 if you go the full vintage option. The mounting for the vintage version is on diagonal corners, so this is an added complication in some modern routs.
              Given that the majority of the tonal change from p90 to staple is merely in the change to rod magnets (from the typical p90 twin bar), then you have to ask yourself how far you want to go.
              ALL THE WAY!

Comment

Don't we all!!

Comment

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
                  TOO FAR!
                  Fixed that for you

Comment

Working...
                  X