Thoughts about stripping the paint on the back of my 62 LP mutt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts about stripping the paint on the back of my 62 LP mutt

I've written in the past about my 62 Les Paul SG. It was originally an SG special, but when i bought it in the mid-70s, it had been routed for DiMarzio paf pups, tuners have been changed to Grovers, the tailpiece was replaced by a badass, it had been repainted black and the headstock has the Les Paul sticker underneath the clear coat.

I fell in love with it because it was one of the most stable SGs I had played up to that time and the neck is ridiculously thin.

But I don't play that style of music or use that type of neck and I need to downsize the herd, so it's time to sell her off.

I've had quite a few people interested in the idea of having a true 60s Les Paul/sg that they can play out in the real world... enough of a rare bird to be a discussion point as well as a great player but without the ridiculous investment and risk of gigging a mint 62. It has survived many bars and face-plants and has been totally distressed in the real world, so there's no worries about her falling apart.

The problem is the refinish obscured the serial number. Every time a buyer has gotten close to pulling the trigger, somebody has scared them off by theorizing that it could be a modern reproduction.

So I'm thinking it's time to dissolve the lacquer on the back of the head stock, get some really good photos of the serial number, or even leave it unpainted for the time and then repaint it for the eventual buyer.

I really can't see any downside to this thinking but wanted to double-check with my brothers who have probably spent more time with elderly instruments than I have.

Any and all ideas appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Re: Thoughts about stripping the paint on the back of my 62 LP mutt

Photos...

Video
    Last edited by zionstrat; 12-03-2019, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Nah. Don't do it IMO. It's not really impeding the kinds of buyers you want, nor is it lowering what you could get for it IMO. Leave that choice to the buyer.

It's the kind of thing someone like me would be interested in, and I would want everyone else to keep their grubby hands and ideas away from it, and leave everything to me. The majority of a difficult restoration is undoing previous work by other people. The less that has been done to it, the better, even if it could be viewed as an "improvement."

I am trying to look at the story and pix, but the link doesn't work.

I would probably do a stock restoration in a period-correct factory opaque color (meaning white), myself, and play it.

It's maybe a $4,000 guitar even if it was original, and maybe $2,000 if restored with original parts. But it being heavily modded and unrestored, I would say you don't have much to gain by selling it anyhow.
      Last edited by ItsaBass; 12-22-2019, 07:27 PM.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
        Nah. Don't do it IMO. It's not really impeding the kinds of buyers you want, nor is it lowering what you could get for it IMO. Leave that choice to the buyer.

It's the kind of thing someone like me would be interested in, and I would want everyone else to keep their grubby hands and ideas away from it, and leave everything to me. The majority of a difficult restoration is undoing previous work by other people. The less that has been done to it, the better, even if it could be viewed as an "improvement."

I am trying to look at the story and pix, but the link doesn't work.

I would probably do a stock restoration in a factory opaque color (meaning white), myself, and play it.

It's maybe a $4,000 guitar even if it was original, and maybe $2,000 if restored with original parts. But it being heavily modded and unrestored, I would say you don't have much to gain by selling it anyhow.
        Thanks for the input Itsa. looks like that link has died so I just replaced it with photos.

But I'm not sure that it would be $4,000 stock is for this model...

That would be true for the double double cutaway Les Paul's with the rounded horns... however the pointed horn SGs are considerably more, eh?

That's why I originally tried to include the thread where the gurus hashed it out and came to consensus that this had to be the bound 62 SG special that would have had p90s.

I'm no rarebird guru and if that's not the case I need to know either way... I came close to selling it for 2999 a few months ago and we both had felt it was a reasonable number if the authenticity of could be proven.

Comment

Is it really worth that much? I owned an identical guitar (Dimarzios, Badass, Schallers) except mine was not repainted and had the original reflector knobs. Sold it to a friend in '96 for $500. I guess she made a good investment!

I would think the mods would kill the value, especially the routing and the paint? I saw a very nice original '62 SG Special at a local shop a couple years ago for 3k. Seemed high to me but it was 100% original and in pretty good condition.

Sorry, back to your question: I thought the neck joint changed very soon after '62 and identifies it as an early model? Unless Gibson repro'd the "inferior" neck joint on a recent reissue the photo of the back clearly identifies it as early '60s. Anyone who needs the serial number doesn't really know what they are looking at. If they insist, let them hand you the money then strip to get the serial number & if it's "wrong" you refund, if it's "right" they just bought the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
            . Sold it to a friend in '96 for $500. I guess she made a good investment!

I would think the mods would kill the value, especially the routing and the paint? I saw a very nice original '62 SG Special at a local shop a couple years ago for 3k. Seemed high to me but it was 100% original and in pretty good condition.

Unless Gibson repro'd the "inferior" neck joint on a recent reissue the photo of the back clearly identifies it as early '60s.
            Good point on the neck joint. Hadn't thought to make that case before. As a kid I used to neck bend this thing to death. Obviously it was one of the better joints for that time period, but it is clearly the old joint.

Yeah it's so hard to figure out what a mutt is worth. I paid 750 for this back in mid 70s. The funny thing is he had an original sitting next to that was going for 650, but we all agreed that mine played and sounded much better... but if I bought the other one this sell would be a heck of a lot easier

Ultimately I think I'm waiting for the younger version of me to show up who just wants it as bad as I did

Comment

Personally I love it and the mods make it more desirable to me (especially the paint - I never bonded with the cherry red finish on mine) but I don't spend that kind of dough on guitars anymore. But surely someone out there has our taste AND deep pockets.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                Personally I love it and the mods make it more desirable to me (especially the paint - I never bonded with the cherry red finish on mine) but I don't spend that kind of dough on guitars anymore. But surely someone out there has our taste AND deep pockets.
                Love your thinking!

Comment

Originally posted by zionstrat View Post
                  Thanks for the input Itsa. looks like that link has died so I just replaced it with photos.

But I'm not sure that it would be $4,000 stock is for this model...

That would be true for the double double cutaway Les Paul's with the rounded horns... however the pointed horn SGs are considerably more, eh?

That's why I originally tried to include the thread where the gurus hashed it out and came to consensus that this had to be the bound 62 SG special that would have had p90s.

I'm no rarebird guru and if that's not the case I need to know either way... I came close to selling it for 2999 a few months ago and we both had felt it was a reasonable number if the authenticity of could be proven.

No way. SG Specials are far less desirable and more numerous than LP Special DCs! Neither is worth a ton, though. That said, when I said $4K if original, I was talking about average condition.

If someone wants to give you $3,000 for a refin routed for humbuckers, take it without pause and laugh all the way to the bank! I think it’s worth half that at most.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Thanks Itsa... Now i get the idea if keeping it.
                    Much appreciated!

Comment

That’s a great looking SG. I always liked the thin necks. I hate those fat necked Les Pauls.

I’d leave that guitar the way it is. I mean you can have it restored, but it will cost more than you can sell it for if the buyer is only interested in it because it’s vintage.

I’d buy something like that if I was in the market for an SG.

Those DiMarzio pickups are great. I played in a band back in the 70s, and the guitarist had an old Gold Top that someone had converted to humbuckers and refinished brown. The pickups were very early patent labels, so essentially PAFs. He replaced them with the DiMarzios, and frankly they sounded much better. I had those old pickups in my junk box for years. Unfortunately they weren’t worth anything at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post

Those DiMarzio pickups are great. I played in a band back in the 70s, and the guitarist had an old Gold Top that someone had converted to humbuckers and refinished brown. The pickups were very early patent labels, so essentially PAFs. He replaced them with the DiMarzios, and frankly they sounded much better. I had those old pickups in my junk box for years. Unfortunately they weren’t worth anything at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        David, yeah these pups are pretty awesome. Back in the early seventies this was one of the few ways you could get a great paf tone and today I can't imagine a better pup for this SG/LP.

And good news in general. I've got a buddy who wants a rockin rare bird and I'm going to see him tonight to consider a trade for his 91 Rickenbacker 360!

Last edited by zionstrat; 12-18-2019, 01:21 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't touch it but that's me. If you find a skilled and trustworthy tech maybe have them expose the S/N but I'd go no further than that.

That guitar looks great and I am sure it sounds and plays to match
                          My Bands -
                          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Easy enough to just sand the back of the headstock and refinish that. Or as mentioned, just the serial.

What are you thinking it's worth? I'm feeling $2k MAX for something like that...
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                              Easy enough to just sand the back of the headstock and refinish that. Or as mentioned, just the serial.

What are you thinking it's worth? I'm feeling $2k MAX for something like that...
                              I've been asking 2999 for a long time... Had an Australian offer 2500 but he's one that got scared off by the invisible serial number.

Have had a number of trade offers that could have made sense however the idea is to thin the herd. On the other hand I just love having his guitar around...

Comment

Working...
                              X