Bridge suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge suggestions

I've had for a couple of years a neglected Ibanez DT200 and I've been wanting to remodel it as my 2020 project. I had nothing solid in mind until I saw Wes Hauch's new custom model on instagram and basically I want to copy it because it looks so f'n amazing, mine has a tune-o-matic bridge and a quick change tailpiece (which I hate tbh) and I want to change it to a string thru hardtail. Beside the usual suspects (hipshot) I was looking at the Ibanez Tight End R (even tho I couldn't find it in black) and 'm looking for more suggestions so I can build a mean machine.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Bridge suggestions

Hipshot makes arguably the nicest string-through hardtail bridges these days. Babicz makes a pretty stout fixed bridge, but the looks aren't for everyone.

Keep in mind the DT200's neck pocket is probably angled slightly from the factory to match the TOM style bridge's height. You may have to reverse shim the neck pocket for proper action if the replacement bridge's saddles aren't as tall.

Alternatively, you could fill the mounting holes for the tailpiece and drill the body for string-through ferrules. The DTT700 model had something similar using a Gibraltar fixed bridge:

Comment

I forgot about that bridge looks, yeah no, I'll pass. I was considering the tight end r because of the flat surface (and also Ibanez). I forgot to say that I'm getting a new neck so I don't think the neck pocket will be a problem.

Is the hipshot bridge worth the hype around it?

Comment

Have you ever drilled holes through a body for strings? It’s not a trivial matter. Unless you don’t care if they aren’t straight. [emoji2]

I make some guitars that have strings through the body, but it really doesn’t offer any advantages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm aware of the fact that it doesn't offers any major advantages but as I stated before, I don't like the whole tailpiece Tom Bridge combo (at least on this guitar) since it's really uncomfortable and doesn't take heavier strings well. Since I'm remodeling the whole thing I figured maybe I could move the bridge a little and try to make it a baritone or just keep it like it's is with new bridge and neck.

Comment

Just moving the bridge doesn't change the scale

You'll have to move all the frets just a bit as well
            Or it wont intonate

You can't just move the bridge and make it a baritone
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I think I stated above that I'm also getting a new neck. The baritone thing is just an idea since I don't have a guitar of that scale.

Comment

If you get a warmoth neck
                Then you still shouldn't have to move the bridge
                It should all be set up on the neck

Moving the bridge is still a mistake
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I think one of the best bridges that would fit your project is the Schaller Hannes bridge. But you would have to make some woodwork. Fill the old holes, drill some new and maybe your finish gets damaged. But if you feel up to the task this could end up very cool! Let me know if you need advice building it.
                  Watch how headless guitars are made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQD8MtQeiVQ&t=241s

www.claasguitars.com

Comment

I'd never drill the ferule holes for the strings since I discovered the merits of a super-tiny router bit with a bearing. I pre-drill the holes (7mm) and use my router bit and a template to accurately rout the holes now. much, much cleaner result.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob (ClaasGuitars) View Post
                      I think one of the best bridges that would fit your project is the Schaller Hannes bridge. But you would have to make some woodwork. Fill the old holes, drill some new and maybe your finish gets damaged. But if you feel up to the task this could end up very cool! Let me know if you need advice building it.
                      I'm really considering that one, I've liked that bridge for a while, might be a little pricey compared to the $60 I'm getting the Tight End R for but it looks cool enough.

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                      If you get a warmoth neck
                      Then you still shouldn't have to move the bridge
                      It should all be set up on the neck

Moving the bridge is still a mistake
                      Warmoth is not an option, shipping and taxes elevates quickly to my country. I get better results with a local luthier, in any way or form the baritone thing is just an idea that may not get to the final build.

Comment

Working...
                      X