banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to exchange a Fender neck-humbucker to a Seymour Duncan SH2N (Jazz) humbucker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to exchange a Fender neck-humbucker to a Seymour Duncan SH2N (Jazz) humbucker?

Hi,
    Please help.
    I have a fantastic sounding Fender US Telecaster with a Seymour Duncan Alnico II in the bridge. That sound is perfect for me (playing “punkish” music and loving Marshall driven distortion).
    The guitar has also a Fender humbucker and a 5-way switch (yes, it IS a tele) that gives plenty of sound options. These pickups was not in phase from the beginning so I have changed the earth and “hot” on the humbucker (thanks to this forum!). The problem with that solution was however that I lost the “hum-bucking” feature of the humbucker… Anyhow, I have now bought a Seymour Duncan SH2N to replace the Fender humbucker.

HOW, should I connect this to keep the 5 positions of the switch as they are today?

1=Neck humbucker only, 2=Neck “single coil mode” only, 3=Both full humbucker and bridge pickup, 4=Neck “single coil mode” and bridge pickup, 5=bridge pickup only
    Can I just take a chart and put “ground SD where ground Fender was”? “North start SD where North start Fender was”? etc I.e.:

SD green where red Fender originally was (ground)
    SD red where black Fender originally was
    SD white where white Fender originally was
    SD black where green Fender originally was?
    Last edited by ONSatan; 12-04-2019, 03:15 AM.

Re: How to exchange a Fender neck-humbucker to a Seymour Duncan SH2N (Jazz) humbucker

Are you sure you have your switch positions correct? Position #1 is usually bridge, and position #5 is usually neck.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Re: How to exchange a Fender neck-humbucker to a Seymour Duncan SH2N (Jazz) humbucker

Maybe I'm counting as George Lucas (4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7...)? :-)

You are right! It should be:

5=Neck humbucker only, 4=Neck “single coil mode” only, 3=Both full humbucker and bridge pickup, 2=Neck “single coil mode” and bridge pickup, 1=bridge pickup only

Can I just take a chart and put “ground SD where ground Fender was”? “North start SD where North start Fender was”? etc I.e.:

Comment

Originally posted by ONSatan View Post
        Maybe I'm counting as George Lucas (4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7...)? :-)

You are right! It should be:

5=Neck humbucker only, 4=Neck “single coil mode” only, 3=Both full humbucker and bridge pickup, 2=Neck “single coil mode” and bridge pickup, 1=bridge pickup only

I.e.
        Can I just follow the info on this page and treat "north start -Seymour Duncan" as "north start -Fender"?

Last edited by ONSatan; 12-04-2019, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Swapping the hot and ground shouldn't have done anything to the humbucker's function other than making the middle in phase. Of course if you had a braided hookup wire then you get chassis ground connected to hot with such a swap. However I think you didn't swap other wires in the wiring (you sound like you have some form of superswitch) to complete the job.

I'd simply start by reversing the OOP swap you did so it matched what the hookup you did originally. Given your switching, you will need to find out the various parts of the split wiring leads go too for the new humbucker......and yes given the 2 Duncans have the same polarity translating the colours for start and finish from Fender will work.

Comment

You are right, I did only swap the ground (red +braided) and the hot (green) on the Fender pickup.
            This solved the phase problem but l lost the hum-bucking feature in the humbucker.
            I did not change any other of the wires (would that have helped?).

I will install the Seymour Duncan translating the original Fender wiring directly. If I run into a phase problem I'll flip the magnet before re-soldering.
            (Flipping the magnet was not possible on the Fender humbucker as it had holes on ONE of the sides but not on the other).

Thanks for your help!

Comment

If the 2 other wires were connected to separate places, then you probably went parallel or singlecoil. The braid should have stayed on ground too. That never changes.

The 2 Duncans should work ok....but there are some switches (like the PRS style for 2 humbuckers) that has reversed wiring and magnet in 1 pickup so that you can get a few split combined options all hum cancelling.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                If the 2 other wires were connected to separate places, then you probably went parallel or singlecoil. The braid should have stayed on ground too. That never changes.

The 2 Duncans should work ok....but there are some switches (like the PRS style for 2 humbuckers) that has reversed wiring and magnet in 1 pickup so that you can get a few split combined options all hum cancelling.
                Hi Alex,
                Thanks for your answer. I did install the SD this weekend. It works OK but is a bit too mellow/dark to suit (according to my taste) as a compliment to the bridge pickup (SD- Alnico II tele). I'm just looking for hum-cancelling, raw power and energy.
                I think I will re-install the Fender pickup again. I found out what model it is, it is a "Fender Double-Tap".

How should I connect it?
                I.e. I want the the SD Alnico II tele bridge to work together with the "Fender Double-Tap" neck without phase problems.
                I know how the Fender was installed, what cables should I move on the Fender Double-Tap to make it work with the Seymour Duncan bridge pickup (without the out of phase problem)?
                Last edited by ONSatan; 12-10-2019, 09:11 AM.

Comment

In less words.

What cables should I move to change the phase of a humbucker with?:

North start (hot output)
                  North finish
                  South finish
                  South start (Ground)

I guess that I should switch North start and South start BUT should I also switch North finish and South Finish?
                  Last edited by ONSatan; 12-10-2019, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Yesterday I did install the Double-Tap.

I've swapped the cables for:
                    North start and South start
                    North finish and South finish

Would that correctly (in theory) change the phase of the humbucker?

Comment

Working...
                    X