Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Monitor's day!

Well, new-old monitor's/amp day...

Don't know if I mentioned it before but I have a small-time hobby of collecting old consumer-grade stereo amps/speakers from the 80's /early 90's for cheap.. (got about 7 now) 2 being used the others in storage ( I rotate them )

And I was lucky enough to just pick up an old Yamaha A-500 'natural sound' amp from the early 80's in what looks & sounds like pretty much 'mint' condition. These were awesome lively amps with a great punchy, musical, highly detailed and balanced sound. My Dad used to have one way back when and I always loved the way it sounded. Also (and more importantly) a pair of pretty rare Yamaha NS-20M speakers (which ..like the better known NS-10's) make great studio monitors..some say better than the smaller NS-10's where the highs tend to be a bit sharp.

Hooked it up and the thing sounds absolutely fantastic (not to mention ear splittingly loud!). Nothing manufactured today comes anywhere near this sound quality for the price (or 3-4-5 times the price)

Gonna hook it up to my audio interface's 1/4" speaker outputs (for which I just ordered a pair of 1/4" to RCA convertor cables ..hopefully arriving in a day or two) & then run the amp into the NS-20 speaker's to use as monitors ..like so. This will also beat any FRFR speaker setup to run my Mooer GE300 modeler (with IR's) into..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamaha_1 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	5853176

And for what it's worth a youtube demo (not mine) just to give you some idea of how awesome these sound..

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Re: New Monitor's day!

cool score! a buddy had a similar pair of speakers years ago, wonder what happened to em

Comment

Ha. I kid you not -I had those exact speakers in my studio for mix A/B checks

They sat above my regular Reference monitors and served as a sanity check for mixing.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        cool score! a buddy had a similar pair of speakers years ago, wonder what happened to em
        Thanks! I could'nt have bought regular monitors that were worth anything for the price I got these for ..so I'm pretty happy

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
        Ha. I kid you not -I had those exact speakers in my studio for mix A/B checks

They sat above my regular Reference monitors and served as a sanity check for mixing.
        Yeah, according to what I've come across that's what a lot of professional studio's use the NS-10 & 20's for. Personally, I'm just recording at home so these will be my reference monitors themselves haha ...they're a lot more neutral, detailed & revealing than any dinky 3-4 inch Mackie or Presonus 'monitors' I'm hearing nowadays and they certainly pack a room-filling punch

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Nice score, congrats! And enjoy!
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Good God. Is that . . . physical media I see in your room? People still have that????
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
              Nice score, congrats! And enjoy!
              Thanks Twilight!

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
              Good God. Is that . . . physical media I see in your room? People still have that????
              Some old farts like me do ...about 6000 & counting. Been collecting them since the early '90's

Youtube

Comment

I'm a big fan of the old, but you've to give new products their fair share of praise when it's due. I got the Behringer EuroLive monitor after reading up on it. I didn't throw out my dad's old monitors either, but sound clarity is definitely better with the new one.

Comment

Nice! And using Reaper I see.

Only thing I would suggest is to get those tweeters at ear level when sitting in you chair. Probably laying them horizontally, like you see most NS-10. Also, in time, see about getting (or making) monitor stands so they’re not sitting on your desk. Pretty easy to make, I used 6” PVC tubes, cut to length and filled halfway up with play sand for weight and mass. Toilet flanges at the top and bottom, and screw those into square pieces of wood.

Click image for larger version

Name:	53720C80-CE16-439E-A986-58392E307BBC.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	5817841

Comment

Originally posted by Queeny12 View Post
                    I'm a big fan of the old, but you've to give new products their fair share of praise when it's due. I got the Behringer EuroLive monitor after reading up on it here, https://popular.reviews/best-dj-spea...EuroLive_B210D. I didn't throw out my dad's old monitors either, but sound clarity is definitely better with the new one.
                    Those look like big powered PA speakers. You use them as monitors's? Eh... I suppose why not?

The NS-20M's I have are shockingly balanced clear & transparent and work perfectly as monitors. Not saying they're great because they're old. They're just great. There's just nothing out there today that matches their quality of sound at the price I got them for ..that's all

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Swampy View Post

Only thing I would suggest is to get those tweeters at ear level when sitting in you chair. Probably laying them horizontally, like you see most NS-10. Also, in time, see about getting (or making) monitor stands so they’re not sitting on your desk. Pretty easy to make, I used 6” PVC tubes, cut to length and filled halfway up with play sand for weight and mass. Toilet flanges at the top and bottom, and screw those into square pieces of wood.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102537[/ATTACH]
                      Nice

And yeah, been trying to work that out ...I just could'nt find a place to put them that was at ear level. I have a powered sub at the foot of the desk on the left (for my 2.1 comp speakers..that I'm still using as comp speakers) & my Laboga + 2x12 cab practically touching my desk on the right. The desk itself is only about 31/2' wide. The whole room is full of amp's cab's & hi-fi stuff all over the place lol .so .space is the issue.

Having said that I'm looking into wall-mounting them lower (& a bit wider angled-in) with some decent metal/swivel type wall-brackets....that's all I can think of as a solution. Until then I'm going to have to stand-up and do my critical listening when mixing etc. Still beats the hell out of trying to mix with comp speakers

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Swampy View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102537[/ATTACH]
                        Very cool DIY solution! Love that
                        Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
                        Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
                        Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
                        Marshall 1960a
                        Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Working...
                        X