banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, i didn't really dig the antquities (until now)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, i didn't really dig the antquities (until now)

I really wasn't way impressed with the antquities i dropped in my lp standard. I decided to give 'em another round today but this time cranked the treble (through my fender twin reverb). I now get a tone i like out of them! They sound amazing

Re: So, i didn't really dig the antquities (until now)

Non of my Ants (two sets) carry the stock magnets. Ants are great for mag swapping if you need a different flavor.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Glad you've got that guitar singing.

I went from a jb to an antiquity bridge in a samick LP copy. It was a huge output difference. My amp (hotrod deluxe) had too lousy of a drive channel to compensate for the mellowness of the antiquity bridge. Ended up selling it to a buddy of mine but I regret it since learning more about the magnet swapping options...
      Last edited by gsammo79; 12-04-2019, 03:29 PM.
      Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

I have Antiquities in my Ibanez AS-73 (335 clone). Wouldn't trade them for the world.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

My favorite Duncan pickup
          -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
          “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
            Non of my Ants (two sets) carry the stock magnets. Ants are great for mag swapping if you need a different flavor.
            Isn't the whole point of antiquities the aged magnets though ?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

I never thought they sounded "bad." I just didn't think they sounded dif from the stock pups at all when a/b-ing them. The sound i'm getting now is outstanding. I didn't think it was necessary to change any settings because i really have a sweetspot dialed in for the p90s in my lp special. Thing definitely needed to be redialed in to get the most out of this set. I consider it a significant learning experience.

Comment

Pretty, ain't she?Click image for larger version

Name:	inCollage_20191129_094243856.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	5817743
                Last edited by Open lane; 12-04-2019, 07:36 PM.

Comment

I have a set in my 335-like Eastman. If your style depends on touch-sensitivity, and you don't need pickups to provide any compression at all, they are a remarkable set. They are pretty unforgiving with sloppy technique, though... you hear everything.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Antiquity P90 bridge in my LP Junior kit build is an amazing sounding pickup. No need for magnet swap or any other mod. Fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post

The irony of this situation is that those who have examined a lot of vintage magnets, they have not found them to degauss at all in normal circumstances in a humbucker......of course p90's are a whole different kettle of fish. So the degaussing part of the equation makes very little sense from a PAF replica point of view. Of course modern magnets are not quite the same as vintage ones, so tonally that might have been a way to change the final outcome. But it is easy to get old magnets sampled, then made like vintage formulations now - so I'm a little stumped why the Ant's still continue to be done with the degauss method given the premium product nature of the beast.
                      The source of this info is James Finnerty, co author of the 'PAF: myth to reality' book.

Comment

While Antiquities sound great in their own way, Seths are closer to what you actually would have got in a Gibson back in the day. Ants are the choice if you want low output and warmth. They are particularly excellent if your amp doesn't have much headroom (e.g. a vintage Fender Princeton Reverb or something like that), and you want to control the pickup from clean to dirty by setting your amp's volume just right and using your hand to change the amount of crunch. Go for Seths if you want more bite and output, more authentic to how most P.A.F.s would have sounded. Seths are where it's at for an affordable "pretty damned sweet" P.A.F. replica. Antiquities are a "tweaked" P.A.F. – but tweaked for lower output instead of higher, which is how P.A.F.s are normally tweaked.

Humbucker magnets do not degauss over time, so using a degaussed A2 (already a weak magnet) is not really authentic to P.A.F. pickups. It might give a favorable tone for some purposes, but it isn't exactly vintage accurate. Again, that isn't a bad thing, merely a description.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Yogi Berra was correct.
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

The reason of the degaussed magnet is a clearer tone-footprint, due to the effect of less fundamental, making the 1st and 2nd harmonic more audible, compared with a fully-charged A2.

You get the same effect using fully-charged A3 magnets, although the feeling is a bit stiffer, which may or may not be desirable.

YMMV.

/Peter
                          Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
                          Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post

Not many of the real PAF have mags that are degaussed like the recent made 'Dunaged magnets'. In the real world PAF and P90 owners charge their old and tired magnets. But those dunaged mags can't be charged.
                            The true value of the Ants is that they are fine made pickups with the right materials and no potting. With two rough cast A4s or Unoriented A5s you are nearer to vintage PAFs that with the stock mags imo.
                            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I rolled magnets in mine to the point that I nicked the coil on the neck and had to send it to the Custom Shop for a rewind. I prefer the stock magnets over all others. A4s were too crisp, UOA5s were good as were fully charged A2s, but the stock magnets just work. I'd wager that's because they're what the wind was developed around.

Comment

Working...
                              X