Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WORKPLACE PERKS

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
    T-Tops are about the brightest humbuckers Gibson has ever made! See above. It's probably the pots. For some idiotic reason, Gibson used a lot of 100K pots in the later Norlin years.
    Yeah - Jazz are closest to T-Tops, but like many Gibson things, they don't always turn out how they are supposed to. Like 100k pots....uynless that was a typo. However - My belief that some T-Tops are dark could easily be because some guitars actually have 100k pots! 300k can be bad enough.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
      I had one of those until some years ago. The pups are really high wound and are called 'series VII pickups'. The switch on the lower horn split both pickups and gives a nice p90-like sound.
      I did some research on the series VII pickups: A very early (1977) creation of Bill Lawrence for High end Gibson guitars. They show a resistence at 12k and use Indox7 magnets. The bottom is expoxied like many of BLs pickups. The unique magnets gave the name. They are also used in the famous 25/50 Anni Les Pauls.
      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        Yeah - Jazz are closest to T-Tops, but like many Gibson things, they don't always turn out how they are supposed to. Like 100k pots....uynless that was a typo. However - My belief that some T-Tops are dark could easily be because some guitars actually have 100k pots! 300k can be bad enough.
        Yes, I meant 100K. They are awful; they ruin any guitar they are in, IMO. My '83 Les Paul could not have been made to sound good/bright even if I had put Strat pickups in it. I finally started looking at the components for faults, and realized the pots were 100K. Did some research, and found out it was common, if not the norm for a good time. Put in "regular" Les Paul pots (i.e. 500K) and all was well. Sounded like the guitar was finally able to blow its nose.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Are used to have a 1985 Les Paul Custom Silverburst that had Shaws in it with 100K pots and that was one of the best sounding combinations I have ever heard
          I'm just a few hundred lessons away from being a great guitar player.......

Comment

Wow, that thing looks near mint.
            --------------------------------------------------------
            1973 Aria 551
            1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
            1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
            1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
            1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
            1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
            2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
              I kid you not this place is down the street from my Ex's. There is another place S&M Liquors a few towns over in Wakefield.

driven past that a bunch of times, had a good laugh the first time

Comment

That (and the next few years, into the 80s) were an interesting time for Gibson. Some designs I thought worked really well (The Paul, ES-Artist), some not so much.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If you like Tim Shaws with 100K pots (same combination that was in my '83 Custom that was Mud City), but you find this guitar very dark, then something is wrong with its electronics. Do the tone and volume pots operate as you would expect?
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                    I did some research on the series VII pickups: A very early (1977) creation of Bill Lawrence for High end Gibson guitars. They show a resistence at 12k and use Indox7 magnets. The bottom is expoxied like many of BLs pickups. The unique magnets gave the name. They are also used in the famous 25/50 Anni Les Pauls.
                    Tarbacks? I had a '77 335 with those pickups and I loved that guitar! It had the coil split switch, too. And a Bigsby.

Mine did not sound dark. My other guitar at the time was an SG with a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and the 335 had more treble, more bass, less mids but comparable volume. The bridge was a fair bit louder than the neck pickup, which gave great Duane Eddy when split.

When you say "dark" do you mean compared to a Strat or compared to a Les Paul?

Comment

compared to a LP

Comment

Originally posted by brentrocks View Post
                        Wow. Implying that I would steal parts off someone else’s guitar?

What a dick move
                        So, the entire instrument in question, is actually still in your possession? Mmmm hmmm....

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                          So, the entire instrument in question, is actually still in your possession? Mmmm hmmm....
                          OOHHHHH...so now you think i'm gonna steal the guitar. you are a piece of work!!! A total JACKASS!!!!

Yeah....he is a folk/bluegrass picker and I took my 1932 Kalamazoo to him to play and enjoy wile I was doing the setup work on his ES. I'm taking it back to him tomorrow, as I will be finishing the work on his house.

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                            Wow, that thing looks near mint.
                            its not mint...its been played. but its not beat to crap either

Comment

Originally posted by brentrocks View Post
                              compared to a LP
                              I dunno why. It's not the pickups, they are pretty bright and clear. Maybe a wiring issue?

Ok, this has been driving me crazy: what movie is your gif clip from? If I concentrate I can look at her face and she looks really familiar but I can't place her?

Comment

So did that guy ever get his 347 back?

Comment

Working...
                                X