banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend a vintage output humbucke set that is forgiving and slightly compressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a vintage output humbucke set that is forgiving and slightly compressed

Looking for a vintage output humbucker set that is

forgiving
    smooth/fat
    slightly compressed
    good sustain
    punchy

I know I can get those qualities in a high output pickup but I also want a pickup that cleans up well with the volume knob and still retains an fairly open and articulate sound.

Looking for something that can balance all those qualities.

These will be going into a Les Paul Standard (trad swiss cheese weight relief). I play alt-country, classic rock, blues.

What am I looking for: Duncan Slash APH-2, Duncan Whole Lotta Humbucker, Dimarzio 36th, others?
    Last edited by Reverberocket2; 12-04-2019, 06:24 PM.

Re: Recommend a vintage output humbucke set that is forgiving and slightly compressed

I think you would like the Slash set the most from what you listed.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
    "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Re: Recommend a vintage output humbucke set that is forgiving and slightly compressed

Came here to say Slash set. They are pretty much dead on for what you described.

Comment

All humbuckers are forgiving and slightly compressed . . . I switch from ssl-2s to Seth Lover and '59 for more forgiving and compressed tone.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          All humbuckers are forgiving and slightly compressed
          Yeah compressed is a very relative term in this context. As you say, compared to a single coil, literally any humbucker fits this description.

So, I assume that OP means compared to other PAFs. My first thought when I read the thread title (as far as Duncans go) was the custom shop '78 http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/78-model/

But others have already mentioned the Slash signature set, which sounds like it's the closest thing in the regular Duncan product line. I haven't personally tried them but a slightly overwound A2 PAF is what you want and that's exactly what they are.

That being said, I would go for a Dimarzio tbh. Specifically a PAF Pro. It is literally exactly what you are describing.
          Originally posted by jcthejester13
          Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            All humbuckers are forgiving and slightly compressed . . . I switch from ssl-2s to Seth Lover and '59 for more forgiving and compressed tone.
            Yes, I mean compared to other humbuckers. To my ears, some of the more traditional PAF type humbuckers like Seth's and Antiquity's are very articulate, open and much less forgiving

Comment

An A2P. I'm considering "compressed" to mean fat. Or that fat sounds somewhat compressed. Not that either of those is true.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by oilpit View Post
                Yeah compressed is a very relative term in this context. As you say, compared to a single coil, literally any humbucker fits this description.

So, I assume that OP means compared to other PAFs. My first thought when I read the thread title (as far as Duncans go) was the custom shop '78 http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/78-model/

But others have already mentioned the Slash signature set, which sounds like it's the closest thing in the regular Duncan product line. I haven't personally tried them but a slightly overwound A2 PAF is what you want and that's exactly what they are.

That being said, I would go for a Dimarzio tbh. Specifically a PAF Pro. It is literally exactly what you are describing.
                I had a PAF Pro in the neck of a Flying V back in the late 90's. Never tried it in the bridge.

From what I've read the 36th's are very vintage sounding with a bit of a mid hump and good sustain.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  An A2P. I'm considering "compressed" to mean fat. Or that fat sounds somewhat compressed. Not that either of those is true.
                  Regarding compession I mean how certain high output pickups like a JB are more forgiving and have a singing sustain that makes lead playing easier compared to more dynamic and open sounding pickups like a '59 or Seth.

Comment

I don't know if there are any vintage-output humbuckers that sound compressed (or, really, feel compressed) to me. You have to get into the Custom range to start hearing it.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I vote whole lotta humbuckers

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        I don't know if there are any vintage-output humbuckers that sound compressed (or, really, feel compressed) to me. You have to get into the Custom range to start hearing it.
                        I get that. Just wondering if some of the hotter PAF styles exhibit more sustain/compression than the lower output ones.

Comment

You could always just kick on a compressor pedal. It's . . . kinda what it's designed for.
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

The A2P slash set to me is the most forgiving/fun to play out of what you mentioned. The fat highs remind me of how a dimarzio Super D responds just on a lesser scale, they still have solid bass, especially for an A2 pickup. The sustain feels like it's more with these pickups, but it's probably my brain convincing my ears I'm hearing that. The bridge fits in great with a 57 Classic or Burstbucker 1 in the neck too, I like the slash neck for solo type stuff but it always seems a little too hot and dark for any other way I would use it. All of this being said, the Saturday Night Special set covers all these bases with firmer low end, and a much more articulate neck pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by Reverberocket2 View Post
                              I get that. Just wondering if some of the hotter PAF styles exhibit more sustain/compression than the lower output ones.
                              Absolutely. The Slash, Whole Lotta Humbuckers, and Saturday Night Specials should all be in the running here. Pick the EQ you like and slap 'em in.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X