banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5-way super switch & a P/P switch, 3 mini HBs, ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5-way super switch & a P/P switch, 3 mini HBs, ideas?

I have a 5way super switch & was wondering what I can do with it in a 3 miniHB setup. Simplest seems to be the autosplit in 2 & 4 positions and others where you can have specific combos in the 1,3,5 positions.

So I was wondering besides that if its possible to use a P/P switch to get the neck & bridge pickups to switch between series/parallel mode. Normally it would take two P/P switches to get it done but with a super switch involved can it be done with just one P/P switch instead? I'm not talking about series/parallel in terms of neck connected to bridge, I mean the individual pup's themselves.

With miniHBs I dont see much point in the various coil split combos, the coils are too close to give a big change in sound I feel.

What other interesting ideas are out there?

Re: 5-way super switch & a P/P switch, 3 mini HBs, ideas?

I have seen a really useful way in how in some of the newer seymour duncan diagrams they managed to do 3 coilsplits on one push pull and a very basic 5 way blade. Such as the standard cortek to oaks and grigsby kind where it was one of those why didn't I think of that moments. However going between parallel and coilsplits or at least making two pickups share the same push pull for parallel is going to take some extreme creativity if it's even possible.

phostenix had some great ideas that are floating around all over the internet. They use standard single coils but just tape off the red/white (or just red) on your pickups. I've attached two. You can replace the overpriced S1 switch this suggests with a 4PDT on/on switch from China for like 1/10th the cost easily. I think I paid 2-3$ maximum for a switch to do something I nicknamed super out of phase. It's a shame it's near christmas as this is the worst time to order from the land of quality and iphones.

this has a lot of potential too
    2 Humbuckers, one single coil, custom 5-way/4-pole switch, 1 volume, 1 tone. Typical H/S/H guitar with custom pickup selections. 1. Bridge HB, 2. Bridge SC+Mid SC, 3. Neck HB+ Bridge HB, 4. Neck SC+Mid SC, 5. Neck HB. Click diagram image to open/view full size version.   Ready to get started? Don't forget the Wire, Solder, Shielding & Supplies. Copyright© GuitarElectronics.com LLC. Unauthorized replication is prohibited.

Comment

"Standard" single coils with three conductors?
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
        I have a 5way super switch & was wondering what I can do with it in a 3 miniHB setup. Simplest seems to be the autosplit in 2 & 4 positions and others where you can have specific combos in the 1,3,5 positions.

So I was wondering besides that if its possible to use a P/P switch to get the neck & bridge pickups to switch between series/parallel mode. Normally it would take two P/P switches to get it done but with a super switch involved can it be done with just one P/P switch instead? I'm not talking about series/parallel in terms of neck connected to bridge, I mean the individual pup's themselves.

With miniHBs I dont see much point in the various coil split combos, the coils are too close to give a big change in sound I feel.

What other interesting ideas are out there?
        Are you really meaning three "mini humbuckers"? Or do you mean "single-coil-sized humbuckers"?

Comment

Originally posted by shadowfire90 View Post
          I have seen a really useful way in how in some of the newer seymour duncan diagrams they managed to do 3 coilsplits on one push pull and a very basic 5 way blade. Such as the standard cortek to oaks and grigsby kind where it was one of those why didn't I think of that moments. However going between parallel and coilsplits or at least making two pickups share the same push pull for parallel is going to take some extreme creativity if it's even possible.

phostenix had some great ideas that are floating around all over the internet. They use standard single coils but just tape off the red/white (or just red) on your pickups. I've attached two. You can replace the overpriced S1 switch this suggests with a 4PDT on/on switch from China for like 1/10th the cost easily. I think I paid 2-3$ maximum for a switch to do something I nicknamed super out of phase. It's a shame it's near christmas as this is the worst time to order from the land of quality and iphones.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102367[/ATTACH]
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]102366[/ATTACH]

this has a lot of potential too
          https://guitarelectronics.com/wdu-hsh5l11-02/
          You got a link for the 4PDT switch?
          The StratX diagram has lots of potential.
          Last edited by Hank-; 12-06-2019, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
            Are you really meaning three "mini humbuckers"? Or do you mean "single-coil-sized humbuckers"?
            Sorry, its Single coil sized humbuckers, like hot rails.

I sat with paintbrush yesterday trying to figure a way. I think I found one where I can have the neck & bridge to auto toggle to parallel mode in a given position but it still needs help from a DPDT switch to get it done. A 24 terminal switch cant seem to do it on its own, but a 36 terminal one should do it.

To be honest the end result is still not that elegant, a 4PDT switch would be a nicer fit.

Comment

I don't even know if I'd get that complex. I think I'd just have N+B in the 3 position, and everything else like a stock Strat.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I drew this out myself a while ago to help you out

Each common is the center of every color. They function like if you put two on/on mini toggles together

and to help convert an S1 this will help , every row the center is common so just figuring out which side is which will take a bit of patience. But if it'll save me or someone 30-50$ why not. I'm kicking myself for selling an S1 out of a deluxe so little now.

hmm ... maybe series/parallel out of the outer 2 pickups , standard series/parallel wiring, with a blend to blend in the middle pickup with an option to go parallel is one idea. Perhaps a 7 way mod? I'm not a big fan of the 7 way mod and if you've got an extra tone control you never use it could work.

Comment

Wow. Very good diagrams and clear explanation. I'm sure everyone will appreciate that.

Comment

I did a wire setup that has infinite possibilities like this. My bridge pickup was a P-Rails though so I went even further. In position 1 I have the P-Rails plus a selector for P-90 only, Hot Rail only, both in series and both in parallel. In position 2 I have P-Rails combined with 59 Strat mini humbucker. I have the neck and bridge setup with a three way switch to turn off each side of the humbucker at a time making it a single coil. I can combine the 59 strat single or humbucker with the P90 or the Hot rail and never get hum. Position 3 I can have the 59 humbucker or single coil (useless). In position 4 I can have the 59 strat single coil combined with a cool rails single coil on the neck or use them both as humbuckers. 14 options in all.

I didn't even have to use a super switch.
                    Last edited by Shane Foster; 12-07-2019, 08:08 AM.

Comment

This is probably the best explanation of an S1 switch I've seen- even I understand it!
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by shadowfire90 View Post
                        I drew this out myself a while ago to help you out

Each common is the center of every color. They function like if you put two on/on mini toggles together
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]102379[/ATTACH]

and to help convert an S1 this will help , every row the center is common so just figuring out which side is which will take a bit of patience. But if it'll save me or someone 30-50$ why not. I'm kicking myself for selling an S1 out of a deluxe so little now.
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]102380[/ATTACH]

hmm ... maybe series/parallel out of the outer 2 pickups , standard series/parallel wiring, with a blend to blend in the middle pickup with an option to go parallel is one idea. Perhaps a 7 way mod? I'm not a big fan of the 7 way mod and if you've got an extra tone control you never use it could work.
                        Awesome! Thanks

The blender pot does add more options but its simpler with a S1 switch. Gonna get me some 4PDT switches in Jan'20, aliexpress free shipping is gonna be more slow during festive season lol Wish someone else offered something like the s1 switch pot for less.

Right now I have 3 P/Ps in there without the 5way-SuperS, giving me 18 options, some arent night & day different but more like sunrise and noon different. Adding a blender p/p pot could get me more, depending on the kind of blend wiring I could get 9 more or 2 more options, so upto 27 or 20 options, electrically speaking But I need 1/V 2/T setup so 18 is good enough for now until I start looking at the SuperS again

Comment

Ok, searching through the web, I found an interesting diagram on strattalk that was taken from tdpri here

I redid a crappy drawing of it to study it, need to focus on it in a quiet place. This is an easy mod for those that might not have a S1 switch or 4PDT on hand, a P/P switch will get this done, it gives some interesting sounds, 4 & 5 positions being the ones that stand out for me as far tonal variety is concerned. Since there were already a couple of excellent wiring schemes in this thread, I figured I might throw this one in there too. I've attached the pic I made of it incase the original link goes missing

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	5817767

Edit: In this diagram, you can have a master tone or two tone controls for two different pickups, I dont see being able to share one tone control with two pickups in this scheme.
                          Last edited by Hank-; 12-08-2019, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X