Rolling my own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling my own

The bridge pickup in my Tex Mex set is dead. Rather than go through a bunch of hassle returning a used pickup, I think I’d rather try rewinding it.

I saw some cool setups with a drill as the winder. Anybody have any other recommendations? Needs to be as little $ as possible.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Rolling my own

never tried a drill but i think it would be hard to control the speed. do you have magnet wire layin around?

Comment

No wire, but I do have a handful of dead pickups, so I’m not opposed to buying a spool.

I also have a Dremel tool that I can adjust to whatever rpm, might be a little better than the drill.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
        No wire, but I do have a handful of dead pickups, so I’m not opposed to buying a spool.

I also have a Dremel tool that I can adjust to whatever rpm, might be a little better than the drill.
        The issue with the Dremel will be mounting it in a way that allows you to accurately wind the a coil. A drill can work (I've done SC's on one), if you can mount it steadily enough to guide the wire accurately onto the flatwork or bobbin.

Larry

Comment

I was winding on a drill several years back. It had a trigger lock and screw to adjust speed. I made a jig out of wood and bolts that held the bobbin. I rigged up a reed switch with a passing magnet on the jig as an approximate counter. It worked but was very crude. I wound quite a few failures but kept a couple covered A4 humbuckers that I will one day pop into a guitar to try out again

Comment

Try reflowing the solder on the eyelets. That’s often the problem.

Winding pickups isn’t that hard, but you will break a lot of wire until you get the feel of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

^ Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X