NSD - Celestion G12-35XC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSD - Celestion G12-35XC

So I came across this at the local former Celestion dealer that's been clearing out their stock for a while. I originally wanted a G12-EVH for low-volume at-the-house practice, but this was discounted, and it seemed kind of obscure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	26659385-892C-49ED-8E58-6CF9F733B3C7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	5853180

I replaced the Chinese Vintage 30 in my Orange 1x12. I have nothing against Chinese V30's, but I have never been 100% sold on it inside this particular cab.

This 35XC is advertised as having a "Pulsonic-inspired cone". Well, it doesn't, lol. It has the 444 cone V30's have (not the 914-whatever cone they use on the Creambacks and the Heritages), except the doping and the dust cap on this seem different. It has the odd 42 oz magnet that's in between the M and the H variations of the Greenback and the vented voice coil, so it's obviously not a re-badge of anything else in the lineup.

I only fired it up briefly, but it sounds nice! Of course, it's not broken in at all, but right now, it sounds edgier and raspier than the V30 it replaced. I'm sure that will smooth out over time, but I actually kinda like it. It has more of a Greenback-like rasp than a V30-ish bite. The second thing I noticed is it definitely has the vintage Greenback type of breakup even at moderate volumes. It sounds raspier and dirtier.

So far, I like it, but I'll give it more time to smooth out.

What has been you guys' experience with these? I don't think it's a speaker that is often talked about.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 12-05-2019, 11:01 PM.

Re: NSD - Celestion G12-35XC

seems like it would be somewhere between a g12m and g12h-30, havent heard one in the wild yet but seems like it could be very nice

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      seems like it would be somewhere between a g12m and g12h-30, havent heard one in the wild yet but seems like it could be very nice
      Except it hasn't got the lead cone they use nowadays on either the Heritage or the Classic series 75Hz H's and M's, but the bass/V30 cone. I think it's a pretty unique Celestion to an extent. Kind of of a mish mash of many different Celestions. Definitely more vintage-flavored than modern, though.
      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 12-05-2019, 05:25 PM.

Comment

I don't care for v30 in 112 cabs either. Nice find!

Comment

i like the 55hz cone, gonna have to try one of these

Comment

Here you can see the "444" cone:

And the vintagey-looking doping and dust cap:

Comment

I spent some more time with it... so far, I'm digging it! It's got a really cool vintagey rasp. Overall, it seems like a bright speaker, but it's not got a crisp attack like the Creamback H that was in this cab at one point. It's not got the upper-mid spike of the V30 either. It's its own thing. It's got kind of a cool grit that sounds better the more you turn it up. Overall, it seems less mid-forward than the V30 for sure, which is a good thing in this cab which can easily get boxy-sounding.

Comment

Working...
              X