Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB mod for bright guitar

Hi.

I equipped an Ibanez SZ with a jazz/JB combo. Unplugged, this axe is perhaps the brightest sounding guitar in my possession. Now the upper mids of the JB are a little too much, low end is alright but lower mids are lacking. I'd like a bit more meat on the bones... I'm guessing a magnet swap could do the trick. Any suggestions?

I'm doubting between A2 and A8, or UOA5. Not sure about A4, I also have an A3 lying around... Woud love to hear your experiences?

PS: Someone told me weaker magnets would improve dynamics in a high wind HB, is that correct?

Re: JB mod for bright guitar

I would start with the UOA5. And probably end with it.

Comment

A8 is going to be louder and more aggressive, with some reinforcement in the bass. It might not be what you want though.

Comment

Yeah A8 technically has less treble than A5 but ends up still sounding pretty aggressive cuz of the mids. Any of the UOs will mellow it out. From least to most: UOA5, A3, A2.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

^^
          Wow!
          Clint agrees with me!

Comment

I've found that the JB sort of has that sound with many different magnets. Possibly 250k pots might work. Or sometimes the JB isn't the right pickup.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              ^^
              Wow!
              Clint agrees with me!
              Yap. What I use personally for mellowing out a bridge bucker is A8, A6, then straight to full smooth A2. I can compromise and present the facts as long as horrible A4 isn't recommended.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              I've found that the JB sort of has that sound with many different magnets. Possibly 250k pots might work. Or sometimes the JB isn't the right pickup.
              Yes, Mincer hates the JB. There are a multitude of ways to tame the JB. 250k pots mellow it out a ton as would A2. If you like the JB, try a mod, if you don't, move on to another pup.
              I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                Yap. What I use personally for mellowing out a bridge bucker is A8, A6, then straight to full smooth A2. I can compromise and present the facts as long as horrible A4 isn't recommended.

Yes, Mincer hates the JB. There are a multitude of ways to tame the JB. 250k pots mellow it out a ton as would A2. If you like the JB, try a mod, if you don't, move on to another pup.
                Well, I will say I love it when other people use it, and produce better music than I could with it. I don't get along with the sound in my own playing.

Comment

I would start with what was suggested with a 250k volume pot. If that doesnt work, then a pickup swap would be your best bet.
                  Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
                  Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

I think some of the suggestions might help a tiny bit, but I'm afraid that the thing you aren't liking about it will persist with anything you can do to it.
                    The 250k vol pot, the A8 mag (which I like in the JB in some guitars), and the A2 (or any other UO magnet) is just not going to get rid of the awful upper mids and give you more lower mids.

I agree with Mincer that the JB just isn't the right pup for you in this guitar. You can try an A8, I think it will do the most for you, but I think it's not going to do enough. I wouldn't even waste my time with mag swaps in this case (and I'm generally a HUGE fan of mag swapping).
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

We are avoiding the main issue here: The JB is the wrong pickup for the sound he wants. I am a fan of mag swaps, but at some point you gotta call the fight.

I think you want maybe an A2P, or for louder, an Invader.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

It seems there are a lot of complaints of the mid spike being too harsh in mahogany guitars with a maple cap.

What high output Duncan would be a good replacement? Not after a typical metal sound, preferable something that can be used in many styles.

Comment

The Custom 5 is a pretty predictable high output humbucker that works for metal but has a versatile paf sound. You can tweak it with mags if you wish.
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by WDeeGee View Post
                            It seems there are a lot of complaints of the mid spike being too harsh in mahogany guitars with a maple cap.

What high output Duncan would be a good replacement? Not after a typical metal sound, preferable something that can be used in many styles.
                            I'd go with the 59/Custom Hybrid, which sound solve the problem you are having.

Comment

to tame the brightness on a guitar you can do this a few ways. Sure magnet swaps can help but here's some other suggestions I don't know why but a lot of the Ibanez I've played I've always found them thinner sounding. Not talking down on the guitars they have their use and popularity for a reason. But some things I'd try are

try strings that produce more warmth or mid range. Thicker cored strings for instance. Check the tone chart
                              thicker picks , or a new pick material in general - acrylic perhaps
                              a larger tone capacitor. I had an SZ in a while ago and it used a 0.033uf (33nf) tone capacitor. Perhaps switch it to 47nf or higher. The maximum I'd go is 100nf on a passive guitar. Even at 10 (fully "off") it still cuts some frequencies
                              to permanently warm up the guitar yeah 250k pots absolutely

if you're not using both tone controls convert the wiring to - master volume , master tone - spin a split mod
                              this way you can lower the output of the pickup to get more warmth. This gradually lowers the output of the JB. Down to 0 it'll create a coilsplit
                              another possible trick is to put a capacitor before the pickups hot lead. A low value such as 10nf to 22nf is a good start

any capacitor material will work. stick with polyester or recycle the 33nf (2a33 it should start with) if you do go with the higher valued capacitor for the main tone control .

Comment

Working...
                              X