New pickup install with a twist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pickup install with a twist

My Carvin AE 185 had a set of Suhr SSV's in nickle going in but they would not fit the hole. No way on earth I was cutting on that spruce top of a semi hollow so---.
    I had a new hybrid in Black and a new Zebra Sentiient sitting in the boxes so---.
    Was not what I had planned but now can't imagine anything else that would have sounded better in this particular guitar. In particular the Hybrid was a shocker as I was worried it would sound to thin in the semi hollow AE but just the opposite! It's JUST HUGE sounding in this guitar really smooth articulate and sweet. Thats the thing about the Hybrid that amazes me, had them in 4 different guitars now and each one sounded completely different. Tele Modern player with the pine body was really spanky ad snappy the DC 127 in KOA was very warm and balanced, the DC 400 with the mahogany neck and body and quilt top is just a ripper has meat but also cuts hard and now this AE is just a mellow smooth very sweet guitar! Amazing just how different that pickup sounds in similar guitars ( all 3 Carvins are neck through 2 mahogany one KOA neck and body 2 with different tops) never seen another pickup that picks up the character of the guitar as much as the hybrid does.
    The Sentient neck is just perfection as a match in this guitar with that Hybrid. The set transformed a guitar that played like a dream but sounded just ok into a real tone machine. This thing now reminds me a LOT of the tones of a good mid 1960's 335 with the Patten number buckers of that era and a little more bite and aggression. What a difference this set up made in this guitar!!
    Just got to get my head around the Zebra neck pickup in this stealthy all black guitar cosmetically but it's growing on me. Had it set up to have the nickle covered pickups but--. Can't wait to get this one out this weekend and run her in a full band mix!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	AE 185 new Duncans 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	5853181
    Click image for larger version

Name:	AE 185 new Duncans 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	5853182
    Last edited by Ascension; 12-06-2019, 09:19 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Re: New pickup install with a twist

Quick question, how acoustic-y does that sound?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I did a similar thing. Its mainly a matter of the type of strings you use imo. Okay, it is kind of clangy and thin because of the small resonating top and the lack of body depth. But if you use strings like GHS White Bronze, you get a resonable acoustic sound and some electric signal at the same time.
      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Quick question, how acoustic-y does that sound?
        Picked up a TC Electronics Body Rez that helped a lot on the straight acoustic tones. With the electric strings (9 to 42's) it's still going to sound thinner than a normal acoustic though. This LR Bags system and the Carvin active module with real acoustic strings can sound very good though. What is cool with this one is rolling a little of the Pizeo in with the magnetics clean through a good amp. Very versitile system.
        As a straight electric this is one mean mother though and has a unique tone now. Sounds much like a bigger and meaner pissed off older 335 and with this super fast neck this thing flat rips now!
        Last edited by Ascension; 12-07-2019, 08:08 AM.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I've never used a BodyRez, but I have thought of getting an Aura pedal for my electic/acoustic stuff. The BodyRez website is a little mystical about how it works...seems like EQ and compression mostly.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            I've never used a BodyRez, but I have thought of getting an Aura pedal for my electic/acoustic stuff. The BodyRez website is a little mystical about how it works...seems like EQ and compression mostly.
            The Body Rez really does noticeably fatten up and get rid of the Quack of any Pizeo system and is just super simple to use. Good tool for any acoustic if your running a system direct and they are tiny and inexpensive.
            I'm running mostly in Church with this guitar and in a full mix if I'm using it split where the acoustic signal is by itself. The FOH tones won't normally be stellar any way with the poor sound you normally get with incompetent untrained Church sound men anyway.
            Where this guitar shines is it's versatility. Really am able to get some cool and unique tones with this active system through a good clean amp by mixing the magnetic pickups with a little pizeo.
            Here it is running a mix of the 2 with crunch and getting some nice tones. The old set up was just dull and lifeless ( M22SD bridge and a M22V neck) but here with a little of the pizeo rolled in to give it some air and sparkle through my old Carvin X 50 was a nice tone. Difference now is night and day on the pure magnetic side with the Duncan set and this guitar is a unique tool for me with what I do.
            Last edited by Ascension; 12-07-2019, 01:27 PM.
            Guitars

Comment

Working...
            X