banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

Are you recording mostly solo guitar, or with a band? Because what sounds great for one is not the same for the other.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

No live band. Either my solo guitar or my 1 man band stuff where I only mic guitar and vocals. Then do bass and electric drums direct.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
        Most amp's I've played don't sound anywhere near their best dimed..so why would I want to record them that way? But yeah..for best results I think there should be a bit of air being moved
        I'm happy for you that you think a guitar rig at its best and a recording setup at its worst is always the best policy for everyone.
        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
          No live band. Either my solo guitar or my 1 man band stuff where I only mic guitar and vocals. Then do bass and electric drums direct.
          This might be why you don't like the SM57. It's a great mic because it limits the frequencies you get from an amp and guitar to a particular slice of the mid range that works well with most bands. If you aren't fighting the bass, kick drum, hi-hats, and a second guitarist for sonic space you will probably like something that captures a broader sweep.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Yap I think so. I'm gonna keep my dynamic mics in case I have a use for them with a band in the future.
            I bought them for you

Comment

I always think that if you want to create something new (rather than re-create something that came before), you gotta start breaking some rules.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                I'm happy for you that you think a guitar rig at its best and a recording setup at its worst is always the best policy for everyone.
                How are SM57's 'a recording setup at it's worst' when 90 % of the bands you've heard/loved probably used them?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for breaking rules ...but I don't think spending mega-bucks on boutique recording equipment is the only way to get good recordings (or break rules).
                "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I didn't spend mega bucks on my recording equipment. I spent $640 on an interface, $800 on a laptop, and $900 on the Neumann condenser. I also didn't say that's the only way to get good sound. This is the way I'm doing it. I don't want to set up my guitar rig like it's a show and then put a dynamic mic in front of it to dull it down. I want to play my rig at the volumes and eq I always play and then use a recording setup that will give me the most accurate possible recording. I'm not ****ing using the sm57. It ****ing sucks at recreating the actual sound of the guitar rig. Ok so it does an ok job at micing live sound. Big ****ing deal.
                  Last edited by Clint 55; 01-13-2020, 12:15 PM.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

If you're happy with what you've got going that's cool ..it just sounds like you were putting down other gear (dynamics/SM57's) & other tried/tested ways of going about recording stuff which obviously work fine in the right hands..

I've said it before & I'll say it again...it's not the equipment as much as how good/familiar one is at utilizing it. At least, that's the conclusion I've come to.
                    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Uh huh. I didn't care for the quality of sound from the cheap computer, interface or dynamic mics. I determined that they weren't going to work for me and that I needed some quality gear and to learn how to optimize it.
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                        I've said it before & I'll say it again...it's not the equipment as much as how good/familiar one is at utilizing it. At least, that's the conclusion I've come to.
                        Sure. Steve Albini with a taper recorder is gonna get better sound than me at sound city.
                        I bought them for you

Comment

If accuracy to the source is what you're after, you're looking at using multiple microphones. There isn't really one microphone that captures what you hear in the room next to your amp. When I like what I'm hearing from my amp that much that I want to preserve the impression I get from it in the room on the recording, I wind up using at least a few, two at the absolute minimum. Either way, you're going to want to read up on multi-mic techniques because there's some important stuff you will want to know about for it to work like phase coherency and which mics to blend, where to put them and so on.
                          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Listen to Fralin Hhh Demo by Clint Jones #np on #SoundCloud

I think I'm good thanks. Good luck achieving better tone than this with an sm57. I just think it's funny how much you guys want to troll me with misinformation. I will experiment with 2 mics tho, good advice. I also did take in you guys' advice about placement and levels and such. It was the good gear plus good recording techniques that lead to this recorded tone.
                            Last edited by Clint 55; 01-14-2020, 12:31 AM.
                            I bought them for you

Comment

How am I trolling you?? I gave you solid advice based on my many years of experience as a qualified sound engineer. Nothing I have said is misinformation, I was just trying to help. You don't have to listen but you can't say that it's both useful, good advice and that I'm also a troll. Comes off as really petulant and childish.
                              The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

I know. I'm just triggered from the contant bs of an sm57 into a budget interface. I respect you and your work.
                                I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                                X