banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

Wtf. How do I get pro sound?? This was in the 80s.

Compare to my measly demo which I'm content with. But it doesn't friggin sound perfect like theirs.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 12-07-2019, 09:12 AM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

The's a whole art form to recording stuff. Mic placement, compressor usage, EQing and mixing. Then there's the whole aspect of knowing how to dial sounds from amps and tune drums so that they all sit right in the mix for a particular song. Then there's the fact that it's much easier to record good sounds from musicians at the top of their game.

I've heard very talented guys record entire albums with SM57s and cheap mic pres, and have it sound great. Most of the time I've blamed gear in the past, it has turned out to be something that I was doing wrong. Not the gear. :P
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

You’re comparing apples and oranges. I was waiting for your drums and bass to kick in. Your guitars sound OK but they are just by themselves and not in stereo. Keep in mind their track was fully mastered and then remastered so even their original would sound a bit weak today in comparison with something a kid can do on his phone.

Comment

Listen to "isolation tracks" of well known recordings. They are great examples of what a good solo guitar sound in a living room vs a good on a recording sound is. I'll say I'm not a fan of the bass strings sound on your recoding. Too soft/mushy. But as said, that's a potential eq/compression issue. It would disappear in a mix I'd think.

I had some idiot at a show one night telling me we needed to scoop the mids on the guitars. Yeah - that would have sounded awesome with the bass & drums thumping away...Dumb@$$.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          Listen to "isolation tracks" of well known recordings. They are great examples of what a good solo guitar sound in a living room vs a good on a recording sound is. I'll say I'm not a fan of the bass strings sound on your recoding. Too soft/mushy. But as said, that's a potential eq/compression issue. It would disappear in a mix I'd think.

I had some idiot at a show one night telling me we needed to scoop the mids on the guitars. Yeah - that would have sounded awesome with the bass & drums thumping away...Dumb@$$.
          I just love people coming up and giving 'unsolicited advice'.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'd like to go back to skoo to see what equipment and techniques are used. I think I might take a class at the JC or do private lessons for recording.
            Last edited by Clint 55; 12-07-2019, 01:29 PM.
            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
              Wtf. How do I get pro sound??
              For starters, learn the EQ spectrum. Inside and out. All frequencies.

This will also help tune your ears to said frequencies.

EDIT:

WAAAAT?

Comment

Would I eq a single clean track? I have a 7 band eq pedal. Would it be good to get a giant eq device to learn it better?
                I bought them for you

Comment

You also have to keep in mind bandwidth. That and frequencies in a track will stack with each other in a final mix of multiple isolated tracks.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

You like Nirvana.
                    Take a listen to this.
                    https://soundcloud.com/demanic-1/ast...ation-12072019

Comment

A huge part of a pro sound is done in the mastering process. You need specific software for that. The one I have is super easy to use. There are a bunch of presets you choose from and there are a few editing choices but it pretty much does it for you.
                      Everything just “sits”better in the mix and you then can set your overall volume of the recording from there. It’s not necessary to worry about the individual volumes of the tracks while in the recording phase...just set your gain staging for the best signal and the mastering will handle the volume later.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                        Would I eq a single clean track? I have a 7 band eq pedal. Would it be good to get a giant eq device to learn it better?
                        You can eq until you’re content with what you are hearing. I’d suggest a free eq plugin.

Record your track and eq later...you will absolutely be making changes as the entire recording evolves.

Comment

FWIW . . . I've found that it's almost always better to get the sound and EQ you want by adjusting the amp and guitar BEFORE recording. Then you barely need to EQ anything to get it sounding great. Whenever I find myself heavily EQing a track, it seems that I've made a mistake somewhere.
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

There is a ton of info on the YouTube.

I watch these videos all the time, they have taught me a lot.

Example:
                            Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Lots of good info!
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                              X