Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 64

Thread: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

  1. #21
    Mojo's Minions dystrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West St. Paul, MN
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,710

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    Knowing your gear and knowing your room are more important than the gear that you have. Steven Wilson recorded vocals and mixed all of the Porcupine Tree records in his old bedroom at his parents' house years after moving out because he knew the sound of the room inside and out.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

  2. #22
    Mojo's Minions dystrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West St. Paul, MN
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,710

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    Quote Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
    Edit:
    # 2.5 Good Preamps. Most modern, lower cost interfaces have more than adequate clean preamps.
    I'd add that "good" in this context means "enough clean gain to do the job effectively" rather than "expensive". It's been a few years now, but Sound on Sound did a double-blind comparison where they recorded a clean signal through a bunch of preamps including an API 3124+, AMS Neve 1073LB, ART Pro MPA II, and Mackie VLZ Pro. For recording a line-level signal rather than deliberately over-driving, you'd be surprised how little the cost of the preamp ended up mattering.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

  3. #23
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    7,288

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    I scored a $1,650 condenser for $850. I've decided to go with condensers because dynamic mics were too dull for me. I also record at low volumes anyway so condensers give me more detail. Gonna sell my other 4 mics and should recover a grand or so!
    There's a club if you'd like to go
    You could meet somebody who really loves you
    So you go and you stand on your own
    And you leave on your own
    And you go home and you cry
    And you want to die

  4. #24
    Mojo's Minions dystrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West St. Paul, MN
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,710

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55 View Post
    I scored a $1,650 condenser for $850. I've decided to go with condensers because dynamic mics were too dull for me. I also record at low volumes anyway so condensers give me more detail. Gonna sell my other 4 mics and should recover a grand or so!
    They also tend to be A LOT more sensitive and have less off-axis rejection in most cases. Depending on the room you're recording in, you may have just bought a ticket to less sound quality, or possibly a bunch of expenses in the form of sonic treatment. Out of curiosity what did you end up with? At that price it's probably a multi-pattern mic; I would advise only using cardioid or hypercardioid unless you have a well-treated (ideally large) space to work with.

    There are no shortcuts to great quality sound when it comes to recording. Most importantly you need to have the right microphone in the right place, and there is no "one mic to rule them all". If there were such a thing, there would be no need for the amazing diversity of mic choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

  5. #25
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    7,288

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    I see what you're saying about the disadvantages to condensers. How they're more sensitive, can break up if it's too loud, pick up more of the room. But dynamic mics are just plain old too dull for my application. I record quietly in my room and clean is my priority since I'll probably never spend 10 grand on an epic amp rig that will have sound that will beat dirty amp sims. Tried an sm57 - sounded like crap; sennheiser md421 - ok, could be good for live sound; sennheiser md 441 - pretty good but still too dull and bassy; my 1 condenser a sennheiser mk4 - pretty good. Sounds perfect on my jazz rig but still a tad dry and harsh on my rock rig. Gonna try an upper tier condenser the neumann tlm 49 and see how things go. I'm running out of things to get so that's good. Very happy with my computer and interface. Just gotta find a mic that's good for me.
    There's a club if you'd like to go
    You could meet somebody who really loves you
    So you go and you stand on your own
    And you leave on your own
    And you go home and you cry
    And you want to die

  6. #26
    PenultimateTone Member Demanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Phoenix area.
    Age
    52
    Posts
    15,211

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    I like condensers. But then most of my recording is live sound in a small room.
    I would probably use a combination of a dynamic for close micing along with a condenser for more room sound, if I were recording isolated tracks.
    I've always been curious about ribbon mics too.

    Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

  7. #27
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    7,288

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    I can kind of see what you guys are talking about the recording skill being important. The quality of each track on this albam is not that good. But it's performed well, mixed well, and it's some of the best composition you'll hear. The (re)mastering doesn't sound to be that effective lol. I want the quality tho. PS: Elliott performed every track on this albam.

    Last edited by Clint 55; 12-31-2019 at 09:22 PM.
    There's a club if you'd like to go
    You could meet somebody who really loves you
    So you go and you stand on your own
    And you leave on your own
    And you go home and you cry
    And you want to die

  8. #28
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    7,288

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    Having sex with my Neumann TLM 49 condenser.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 01-02-2020 at 01:00 PM.
    There's a club if you'd like to go
    You could meet somebody who really loves you
    So you go and you stand on your own
    And you leave on your own
    And you go home and you cry
    And you want to die

  9. #29
    Mojo's Minions Gtrjunior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Posts
    6,133

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    Just clean it off when you’re done.

  10. #30
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    7,288

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    Woohoo!

    There's a club if you'd like to go
    You could meet somebody who really loves you
    So you go and you stand on your own
    And you leave on your own
    And you go home and you cry
    And you want to die

  11. #31
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    7,288

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    There's a club if you'd like to go
    You could meet somebody who really loves you
    So you go and you stand on your own
    And you leave on your own
    And you go home and you cry
    And you want to die

  12. #32
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    7,288

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    There's a club if you'd like to go
    You could meet somebody who really loves you
    So you go and you stand on your own
    And you leave on your own
    And you go home and you cry
    And you want to die

  13. #33
    Sock Market Trader GuitarStv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    15,115

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    I've always got to figure out where my dog is before recording with condenser mics. So many takes have had to be tossed because she decided to bark to go out, to go clacking across the floor in from of the amp, do some loud snoring, or started rolling around on the floor at an inopportune moment. I usually have the amp up high enough that it's not caught until mixing (dog's stone deaf and often sleeps right in front of the amp).
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

  14. #34
    Mojo's Minions Gtrjunior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Posts
    6,133

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    I've always got to figure out where my dog is before recording with condenser mics. So many takes have had to be tossed because she decided to bark to go out, to go clacking across the floor in from of the amp, do some loud snoring, or started rolling around on the floor at an inopportune moment. I usually have the amp up high enough that it's not caught until mixing (dog's stone deaf and often sleeps right in front of the amp).
    Those are the pieces of magic you want to keep on your recordings! Lol

  15. #35
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    7,288

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    I think I upped my tone.

    https://soundcloud.com/clint-jones-2...ralin-hhh-demo

    Good laptop, good interface, good consenser, good amp, new Fralins. Also moved the amp out from under my desk which was making it muddy and put it in the middle of the room. From contemplating the recorded sounds I like, I realized they sound full but that you can still hear the room a little. So I ended up with the mic 4 inches away from the amp which gave me a good balance of full tone and some room detail. I also realized the eq you hear when you're playing just in your room has nothing to do with the sound of the recorded tone so I eqd the amp while running the setup through my headphones. Took about 7 takes of tweaking to find a sweet spot. 2 things you guys have been telling me. Get your mic/amp placement and eq right. U still gotta have good gear tho.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 01-07-2020 at 04:13 PM.
    There's a club if you'd like to go
    You could meet somebody who really loves you
    So you go and you stand on your own
    And you leave on your own
    And you go home and you cry
    And you want to die

  16. #36
    Mojo's Minions devastone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Longmont, CO, USA
    Posts
    5,632

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    Can't really listen until I get home, but I do have to ask, what are you listening to when doing your mixes? You mentioned earbuds in another thread and I would say that is the worst, down with laptop speakers. Did you get some decent reference headphones or better, some decent monitors?

    BTW, I just picked up a set of Kali LP-6 monitors, they are amazing for the price ($149 each). Front ported, and lots of easy to use adjustments for the environment they are used in. Much clearer than the old BX8a set I've had forever, especially in the small room with terrible acoustics I have.

    FWIW, back to your OP, monitors are some of the most expensive pieces of equipment in pro studios with some setups north of $100k, the LP-6s are really good for $300.
    Last edited by devastone; 01-09-2020 at 09:20 AM.

  17. #37
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    7,288

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    I got some good over ear phones.
    There's a club if you'd like to go
    You could meet somebody who really loves you
    So you go and you stand on your own
    And you leave on your own
    And you go home and you cry
    And you want to die

  18. #38
    Sock Supplier to RHCP Beer$'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    5,330

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    Those are the pieces of magic you want to keep on your recordings! Lol
    Agreed. I want to hear a whole album about and featuring that dog.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

    Lead guitarist and vocalist of...



    Keep up to date on our ReverbNation

  19. #39
    Super Toneologist AmirH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,208

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    Sounds like your amp is set relatively quiet, so the neumann can work well for that application. It's better or capturing quieter sounds, like acoustic guitar, or the sound of the room, for applications like drums. I would be careful, however, not to throw too many spls at it. Condensor microphones typically aren't designed to handle tons of sound pressure, so you'll want to move it further away than 4 inches if you record your amp with any significant amount of volume. Also, I disagree completely that an sm57 sounds like crap. There's a learning curve to it, and placement is a huge part of that, but it's honestly my favorite mic for milking a cab.

    You can get a lot of traction out of an upper-mid level interface, and though it is true that the whole signal chain matters, in my experience, you can achieve respectable quality without breaking the bank. It doesn't matter how transparent your mic pres are if you haven't learned what to listen for while mixing, and I imagine investing thousands up front thinking you'll automatically achieve pro quality as a result would be an expensive exercise in frustration. What type of DAW are you using? You're on the right track with watching instructional videos, but I recommend searching out ones that more closely mirror your setup and the tools available to you.
    Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
    Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
    Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
    Marshall 1960a
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

  20. #40
    Something Cool uOpt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    17,288

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    My gearslutting shifted a bit, I now own a variety of microphones, AD/DA interfaces, mic preamps and the like.

    Differences are huge. Also started modding mics a bit.

    Plus that kind of gearslutting takes up a lot less space in the home. Unless of course you start acoustically treating your room

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •