Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 64

Thread: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

  1. #41
    Mojo's Minions Gtrjunior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Posts
    6,157

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    Quote Originally Posted by AmirH View Post
    Sounds like your amp is set relatively quiet, so the neumann can work well for that application. It's better or capturing quieter sounds, like acoustic guitar, or the sound of the room, for applications like drums. I would be careful, however, not to throw too many spls at it. Condensor microphones typically aren't designed to handle tons of sound pressure, so you'll want to move it further away than 4 inches if you record your amp with any significant amount of volume. Also, I disagree completely that an sm57 sounds like crap. There's a learning curve to it, and placement is a huge part of that, but it's honestly my favorite mic for milking a cab.

    You can get a lot of traction out of an upper-mid level interface, and though it is true that the whole signal chain matters, in my experience, you can achieve respectable quality without breaking the bank. It doesn't matter how transparent your mic pres are if you haven't learned what to listen for while mixing, and I imagine investing thousands up front thinking you'll automatically achieve pro quality as a result would be an expensive exercise in frustration. What type of DAW are you using? You're on the right track with watching instructional videos, but I recommend searching out ones that more closely mirror your setup and the tools available to you.
    A close sm57 and a condenser capturing the room is a great approach.
    Good advise

  2. #42
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    7,608

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    Quote Originally Posted by AmirH View Post
    Sounds like your amp is set relatively quiet, so the neumann can work well for that application. It's better or capturing quieter sounds, like acoustic guitar, or the sound of the room, for applications like drums. I would be careful, however, not to throw too many spls at it. Condensor microphones typically aren't designed to handle tons of sound pressure, so you'll want to move it further away than 4 inches if you record your amp with any significant amount of volume. Also, I disagree completely that an sm57 sounds like crap. There's a learning curve to it, and placement is a huge part of that, but it's honestly my favorite mic for milking a cab.

    You can get a lot of traction out of an upper-mid level interface, and though it is true that the whole signal chain matters, in my experience, you can achieve respectable quality without breaking the bank. It doesn't matter how transparent your mic pres are if you haven't learned what to listen for while mixing, and I imagine investing thousands up front thinking you'll automatically achieve pro quality as a result would be an expensive exercise in frustration. What type of DAW are you using? You're on the right track with watching instructional videos, but I recommend searching out ones that more closely mirror your setup and the tools available to you.
    Yep. The quiet amp with correct tone and recording rig that records accurately is working much better for me than a pos dynamic "put in the right place". The sm57 can suck my balls. Learning techniques only with budget gear is a false dichotomy. You can get good gear then learn how to use it. I am watching videos that pertain to my setup. The 1st one is how to mix with a daw (or analogue). The 2nd one is how to master using plugins in reaper. The 3rd vid is a producer that I know the most about since he produced In Utero and I'm interested in analogue technology.
    Trudging slowly over wet sand
    Back to the bench
    Where your clothes were stolen

  3. #43
    watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,516

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    Eh, I don't know ..all my fave albums were probably recorded with SM57's in front of an ordinary 4x12 & they sound great to me.

    Having said that I personally find nothing exciting about clean guitar tones (never have & most prob's never will) ..so maybe uber-expensive condenser's are the only the way to go to get your jolly's if that's your kinda stuff ..I would'nt know

    For rocking out nice & loud (and having that energy translate to your recording)..nothing beats an SM57/decent dynamic. There's a reason why they're still around & are nearly everyone's 'go to' mic
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.


    Youtube

    Bandcamp

  4. #44
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    7,608

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    I'm happy for you that you think an sm57 does an ok job when the amp is turned up all the way.
    Trudging slowly over wet sand
    Back to the bench
    Where your clothes were stolen

  5. #45
    watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,516

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    Most amp's I've played don't sound anywhere near their best dimed..so why would I want to record them that way? But yeah..for best results I think there should be a bit of air being moved
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.


    Youtube

    Bandcamp

  6. #46
    Sock Market Trader GuitarStv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    15,225

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    Are you recording mostly solo guitar, or with a band? Because what sounds great for one is not the same for the other.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

  7. #47
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    7,608

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    No live band. Either my solo guitar or my 1 man band stuff where I only mic guitar and vocals. Then do bass and electric drums direct.
    Trudging slowly over wet sand
    Back to the bench
    Where your clothes were stolen

  8. #48
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    7,608

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
    Most amp's I've played don't sound anywhere near their best dimed..so why would I want to record them that way? But yeah..for best results I think there should be a bit of air being moved
    I'm happy for you that you think a guitar rig at its best and a recording setup at its worst is always the best policy for everyone.
    Trudging slowly over wet sand
    Back to the bench
    Where your clothes were stolen

  9. #49
    Sock Market Trader GuitarStv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    15,225

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55 View Post
    No live band. Either my solo guitar or my 1 man band stuff where I only mic guitar and vocals. Then do bass and electric drums direct.
    This might be why you don't like the SM57. It's a great mic because it limits the frequencies you get from an amp and guitar to a particular slice of the mid range that works well with most bands. If you aren't fighting the bass, kick drum, hi-hats, and a second guitarist for sonic space you will probably like something that captures a broader sweep.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

  10. #50
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    7,608

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    Yap I think so. I'm gonna keep my dynamic mics in case I have a use for them with a band in the future.
    Trudging slowly over wet sand
    Back to the bench
    Where your clothes were stolen

  11. #51
    Administrator Mincer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, Florida, USA
    Posts
    23,781

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    I always think that if you want to create something new (rather than re-create something that came before), you gotta start breaking some rules.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

    Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

  12. #52
    watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,516

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55 View Post
    I'm happy for you that you think a guitar rig at its best and a recording setup at its worst is always the best policy for everyone.
    How are SM57's 'a recording setup at it's worst' when 90 % of the bands you've heard/loved probably used them?

    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for breaking rules ...but I don't think spending mega-bucks on boutique recording equipment is the only way to get good recordings (or break rules).
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.


    Youtube

    Bandcamp

  13. #53
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    7,608

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    I didn't spend mega bucks on my recording equipment. I spent $640 on an interface, $800 on a laptop, and $900 on the Neumann condenser. I also didn't say that's the only way to get good sound. This is the way I'm doing it. I don't want to set up my guitar rig like it's a show and then put a dynamic mic in front of it to dull it down. I want to play my rig at the volumes and eq I always play and then use a recording setup that will give me the most accurate possible recording. I'm not ****ing using the sm57. It ****ing sucks at recreating the actual sound of the guitar rig. Ok so it does an ok job at micing live sound. Big ****ing deal.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 01-13-2020 at 11:15 AM.
    Trudging slowly over wet sand
    Back to the bench
    Where your clothes were stolen

  14. #54
    watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,516

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    If you're happy with what you've got going that's cool ..it just sounds like you were putting down other gear (dynamics/SM57's) & other tried/tested ways of going about recording stuff which obviously work fine in the right hands..

    I've said it before & I'll say it again...it's not the equipment as much as how good/familiar one is at utilizing it. At least, that's the conclusion I've come to.
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.


    Youtube

    Bandcamp

  15. #55
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    7,608

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    Uh huh. I didn't care for the quality of sound from the cheap computer, interface or dynamic mics. I determined that they weren't going to work for me and that I needed some quality gear and to learn how to optimize it.
    Trudging slowly over wet sand
    Back to the bench
    Where your clothes were stolen

  16. #56
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    7,608

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
    I've said it before & I'll say it again...it's not the equipment as much as how good/familiar one is at utilizing it. At least, that's the conclusion I've come to.
    Sure. Steve Albini with a taper recorder is gonna get better sound than me at sound city.
    Trudging slowly over wet sand
    Back to the bench
    Where your clothes were stolen

  17. #57
    Sock Supplier to RHCP Beer$'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    5,331

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    If accuracy to the source is what you're after, you're looking at using multiple microphones. There isn't really one microphone that captures what you hear in the room next to your amp. When I like what I'm hearing from my amp that much that I want to preserve the impression I get from it in the room on the recording, I wind up using at least a few, two at the absolute minimum. Either way, you're going to want to read up on multi-mic techniques because there's some important stuff you will want to know about for it to work like phase coherency and which mics to blend, where to put them and so on.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

    Lead guitarist and vocalist of...



    Keep up to date on our ReverbNation

  18. #58
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    7,608

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    https://soundcloud.com/clint-jones-2...ralin-hhh-demo

    I think I'm good thanks. Good luck achieving better tone than this with an sm57. I just think it's funny how much you guys want to troll me with misinformation. I will experiment with 2 mics tho, good advice. I also did take in you guys' advice about placement and levels and such. It was the good gear plus good recording techniques that lead to this recorded tone.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 01-13-2020 at 11:31 PM.
    Trudging slowly over wet sand
    Back to the bench
    Where your clothes were stolen

  19. #59
    Sock Supplier to RHCP Beer$'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    5,331

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    How am I trolling you?? I gave you solid advice based on my many years of experience as a qualified sound engineer. Nothing I have said is misinformation, I was just trying to help. You don't have to listen but you can't say that it's both useful, good advice and that I'm also a troll. Comes off as really petulant and childish.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

    Lead guitarist and vocalist of...



    Keep up to date on our ReverbNation

  20. #60
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    7,608

    Default Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    I know. I'm just triggered from the contant bs of an sm57 into a budget interface. I respect you and your work.
    Trudging slowly over wet sand
    Back to the bench
    Where your clothes were stolen

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •