NGD: Beyond impressed by this Squier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: Beyond impressed by this Squier

Holy crap, this is the best playing and sounding guitar I have played in almost a decade.
    I played one of the contemporary strat models in GC and was blown away by the playability, so I pulled the trigger on this beauty.

Squier Contemporary Active Jazzmaster
    Surf Pearl Green

Swapped out the pups for EMG 57 / 66 set.
    I should probably save a review for the Pickup Lounge, but wow, clarity, bite, fat, warmth — incredible.

Only gripe is the 21 frets.
    Squier has really upped their game.

Click image for larger version

Name:	18C25793-6EDD-4F24-8E96-3AEA275DCB10.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	5853183

Name:	73F4215F-76F7-47AF-A442-EA82C63D712B.jpg
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	5853184

Name:	79938BE2-5E18-4061-B99D-13BC0B3B6739.jpg
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	5853185
    Last edited by Frogman; 12-07-2019, 08:59 AM.

Re: NGD: Beyond impressed by this Squier

Squier stuff has been consistently good for awhile. Not just the Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified series, either.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
      Squier stuff has been consistently good for awhile. Not just the Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified series, either.
      Yeah makes me wanna try more models.
      I like the strat but dislike the reverse headstock.
      Jim Root tele is intriguing too.

Comment

I was at my local shop yesterday and grabbed a Squier Affinty Strat, the $200 model and I was really impressed. Neck felt really nice, stayed in tune better than either my Jackson or Ibanez. Was talking to one of the guys at the shop and he was saying how much the Squiers have improved. Guy walked in just ahead of me with a new one in the box for his son for Xmas and wanted a set up done. He tweaked the truss rod a bit and one other small adjustment and the guy was out the door.

Hell for $200 I may get one to have a Strat in the house.
        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
        Jackson Soloist 7 string
        ESP LTD M-400
        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

At this point in my life I didn’t think I’d ever buy a Squire. But I wound up buying a Squire J Mascis Jazzmaster around 3 years ago and have been loving it ever since. Not just a good guitar for the money, but a good guitar, period!

Comment

I'd certainly buy a Squier that played well. What a great platform, especially if you find the right one!
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That's an Indonesia-made, 20th Ann. hardtail Squier Bullet. After the p'ups and tuners mods plus a pro setup (performed by yours truly), with an investment of a little bit over a Franklin and a Half, that instrument ended up playing the strat parts in at least twelve recording projects. The combination of a plywood body with the active EMG S set was a match made in Heaven, so to speak.

It's been currently used by a pretty talented but not very rich young guy of my neck of woods. He even made his first ever paying gig with it and actually in the middle of the Nord Sea playing on a big, Cruise ship visiting the fjords on the Norwegian coast.

Need I say more?

/Peter
              Last edited by Discharged; 12-29-2019, 04:27 AM.
              Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
              Kolding, Denmark

Comment

I'm really really impressed with the Squiers lately myself. I used to have one several years back that was really solid. It doesn't take much to make them really playable. Find one that resonates and plays well and you've got a solid platform to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                  Find one that resonates and plays well and you've got a solid platform to work with.
                  Just bought a Squier VM Jazz 5 that resonates well, played well and with a good out-of-the-box setup as a platform for mod. 2 years later and noway I'm gonna do any mods until something breaks.

Comment

Working...
                  X